Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cant seem to increase run time.

Options
  • 15-03-2015 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

OK just to let ye know where I'm at. I started the operation transformation fitness plan 5 weeks ago. I use my treadmill. I walk at 3.8 for 3 minutes and run at 4.9 for 1 minute 10 seconds. I do 5 sets of these. To date I've lost 8 lbs
    My problem is I cant seem to increase the run time, plus I lost nothing in the last two weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

OK just to let ye know where I'm at. I started the operation transformation fitness plan 5 weeks ago. I use my treadmill. I walk at 3.8 for 3 minutes and run at 4.9 for 1 minute 10 seconds. I do 5 sets of these. To date I've lost 8 lbs
    My problem is I cant seem to increase the run time, plus I lost nothing in the last two weeks.

The weight loss will depend mostly on the food you eat.

How do you mean you can't increase the run time? You're not able to run faster?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think he means he can't run longer than 1 min 10.
    Maybe try taking a longer rest period OP? Or run longer for your first interval as much as you can? It's probably as much a mental battle as anything else tbh.

At this stage of your exercise also your weight loss will depend on your diet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Shake it up. The last thing you should ever do is get stuck in the exact same type of exercise. Your body adapts and and stops developing. Try running much faster for a shorter period for time, wait until you get used to that, then maybe try your old pace and see what you can do. Maybe try an incline? Do some other exercises, like lifting weights (especially a leg press or squats if running is your thing).

I'm still not entirely sure what the problem is, whether it's going for more than the 20 minutes, or increasing speed?

Minimal increases in speed would help. Shorten the walk time by 10 seconds and add that to run time. Add an incline at the speeds you're doing.

In short, you need to make something a touch more difficult in order to progress. Doing the same 20 minute walk/run combo at the same speeds won't get you any further than you are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭starlight09

When I started I could only run for 30 seconds between walking. Over the weeks I have built up to running 1 minute 10 seconds. I have tried to add to the length of run time so that I can just run only. I also do weights every second day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

If you're struggling to extend the time maybe the solution is to extend the sets or add another one. Or, reduce time slightly and extend.

I now walk for 2 min and jog for 1 min 30 seconds. I can manage 5 sets of these. The only problem is suffering from heavy legs and pains.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kettlebelljim

I now walk for 2 min and jog for 1 min 30 seconds. I can manage 5 sets of these. The only problem is suffering from heavy legs and pains.

You need to strengthen the ankles, knees and hip areas if you are new to running to reduce the heavy leg issues and pains.
    Get squats, and lunges into the mix and strengthen the muscles around the moving joints.
    Don't get bogged down in the lack of perceived progress as slow progress is still progress.
    Best of luck in your efforts:)

You need to strengthen the ankles, knees and hip areas if you are new to running to reduce the heavy leg issues and pains.
    Get squats, and lunges into the mix and strengthen the muscles around the moving joints.
    Don't get bogged down in the lack of perceived progress as slow progress is still progress.
    Best of luck in your efforts:)

Yes its slow progress, after three weeks I've lost 1lb. I don't mind though, its going in the right direction. Thanks for the suggestions as I was beginning to dread the jog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Yes its slow progress, after three weeks I've lost 1lb. I don't mind though, its going in the right direction. Thanks for the suggestions as I was beginning to dread the jog.

Is your diet in check? By far, the number 1 way to lose weight is through eating at the right calorie amount. You can sit on your couch and lose weight if the diet is right. If you are in pain running then maybe try shed the pounds through diet and the running will get much easier.

Are you male/female? How much do you weigh? What height are you? What does your daily diet look like? Have you signed up to myfitnesspal to track what you're eating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭PatL23

Since January 2015 iv lost 12.7kg(28lbs, more to lose) from weight lifting and jogging + caloric deficit. I was ridiculously unfit. I couldn't jog 2 minutes without almost collapsing off the treadmill, when i stopped i do a slow walk to regain breath and run another 1:30-2 mins and do a total of 10 minutes running. Id collapse on my bed thinking why am i putting myself through such pain, but i kept telling myself to persevere or ill be miserable for the rest of my life.

After two weeks or so and 6 sessions of this i still couldnt get past two minutes. I was pissed off. At the 7th session i just said to myself " Pat, once you hit 2 minutes just keep going and dont fupping stop, do 5 minutes". So i hit 3 minutes i was ready to cry with pains from my legs and chest. If i was going to get a heart attack die on the spot, i would have preferred it rather then stop and fail. The sense of accomplishment when i hit the 5 minutes mark was enlightening to say the least. My body was capable of more punishment than i thought possible. It was my inner voice that was holding me back because i set the limit.

Fast forward to today and i did 5k in 27 minutes with 2 minutes rest in the middle. Next goal is 5k without rest.
    Im alot more confident and i can wear proper fitting clothes now and feel good about my image.

If you want help with anything just give me a PM

TLDR; of my story is you're capable of more than you believe possible.

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. -Mahatma Gandhi

Pat,
    I'm totally blown away after reading all that. 28lbs, congratulations that's some weight loss.:)
    Yes I can identify with the pains in the legs, that's what catches me. Ok you have given me the encouragement to push myself further and tomorrow that's exactly what I will do.

Are you following the Operation Transformation program?

Pat,
    I'm totally blown away after reading all that. 28lbs, congratulations that's some weight loss.:)
    Yes I can identify with the pains in the legs, that's what catches me. Ok you have given me the encouragement to push myself further and tomorrow that's exactly what I will do.

Are you following the Operation Transformation program?

I do intermittent fasting + a weight lifting programme called 'fierce 5'. I attest a lot of my weight loss to IF. 3 big meals per day in a 8 hour window. No hunger really. Feeling hungry? Brushing your teeth and using mouthwash works wonders. If you really need to eat outside the eating window have a banana and Greek yoghurt, it's a really satisfying mixture. From time to to me You may feel bad for eating when you shouldn't but fup it, you're changing your lifestyle, it takes learning and discipline which will build over time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

PatL23 wrote: »
    Since January 2015 iv lost 12.7kg(28lbs, more to lose) from weight lifting and jogging + caloric deficit. I was ridiculously unfit. I couldn't jog 2 minutes without almost collapsing off the treadmill, when i stopped i do a slow walk to regain breath and run another 1:30-2 mins and do a total of 10 minutes running. Id collapse on my bed thinking why am i putting myself through such pain, but i kept telling myself to persevere or ill be miserable for the rest of my life.

After two weeks or so and 6 sessions of this i still couldnt get past two minutes. I was pissed off. At the 7th session i just said to myself " Pat, once you hit 2 minutes just keep going and dont fupping stop, do 5 minutes". So i hit 3 minutes i was ready to cry with pains from my legs and chest. If i was going to get a heart attack die on the spot, i would have preferred it rather then stop and fail. The sense of accomplishment when i hit the 5 minutes mark was enlightening to say the least. My body was capable of more punishment than i thought possible. It was my inner voice that was holding me back because i set the limit.

Fast forward to today and i did 5k in 27 minutes with 2 minutes rest in the middle. Next goal is 5k without rest.
    Im alot more confident and i can wear proper fitting clothes now and feel good about my image.

If you want help with anything just give me a PM

TLDR; of my story is you're capable of more than you believe possible.

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. -Mahatma Gandhi

Your running too fast. Have a look at c25k plan and come over to the running forum

Your running too fast. Have a look at c25k plan and come over to the running forum

12km/h then I up it to 14 km/h to do the 5k in 27min. What speed should I be doing? I'm planning to start HIIT as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

12km/h then I up it to 14 km/h to do the 5k in 27min. What speed should I be doing? I'm planning to start HIIT as well

No one can tell u the speed to do, but if your hitting the wall your going hard.

If you want to run further than 5k you need to run it slower than your 5k speed.

PM me your current running plan for the week and I will look at it and what's your aim?

Also the running forum has loads of advice to help you, good people there.

Be less concerned with completing it in X minutes and drop back your speed to, say, 10 km/h and see if you can complete the distance in one go. Once you've figured out the speed you can run it at in one go, you can build on that.

+1 on the running forum for better advice.

Advertisement