Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

smashey wrote: »
    I thought this was a Kildare thread.

SIGHS...

;)

Kildare thread with a taste of lemons smashey..

If Kildare can stay with Dublin in the first half I fancy is to take them all the way to final whistle!!!

In saying that Dublin are a fantastic side I have huge respect for the squad... But this is war now gimme my Kildare jersey and my warpaint!!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Kildare will have no problem staying with Dublin in the first half but in the second half I'd expect Dublin's firepower to take over. I also think that Kildare just don't have the forwards to match Dublin in a shoot out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

smashey wrote: »
    I thought this was a Kildare thread.

I don't usually take on the mods but I have to say I think a comment (by a Kildare poster at that) about Tyrone being average was a very organic and relevant discussion in the context of a game between two of the top five or six teams in the country.

Given you commented on this in the guise of a poster (hence the non-bolded text) I assume I'm fully within my rights to take you up on that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Syferus wrote: »
    I don't usually take on the mods but I have to say I think a comment (by a Kildare poster at that) about Tyrone being average was a very organic and relevant discussion in the context of a game between two of the top five or six teams in the country.

Given you commented on this in the guise of a poster (hence the non-bolded text) I assume I'm fully within my rights to take you up on that point.
    What are you on about... What does it matter where a poster comes from? Are we not allowed have an opinion on other counties?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Kildare will have no problem staying with Dublin in the first half but in the second half I'd expect Dublin's firepower to take over. I also think that Kildare just don't have the forwards to match Dublin in a shoot out.
    dublin are a class act eli.. no doubt they could hand us a beating but believe is all i will say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Tyrone are well on the way towards building their next team, they aren't analogous to the current Kerry team where most of the greats are giving it one last swig of the flask. Most of the 'passed it' players have retired over the last two seasons.

Kildare could actually beat Tyrone but in terms of quality forwards it's not even comparable. Neither team are average.

I agree they are building a team with potential, but at the moment I believe them to be on a par with Kildare.

Dublin
    Donegal
    Cork
    Kerry

Are top 4 and are top teams

Average/good teams would be Kildare, Mayo, Tyrone and Down (at a push).
    These teams could beat each other on any given day but shouldn't trouble top teams too much.

The chasing pack are quite some way behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I agree they are building a team with potential, but at the moment I believe them to be on a par with Kildare.

Dublin
    Donegal
    Cork
    Kerry

Are top 4 and are top teams

Average/good teams would be Kildare, Mayo, Tyrone and Down (at a push).
    These teams could beat each other on any given day but shouldn't trouble top teams too much.

The chasing pack are quite some way behind.

I dunno why but people on this board have always been fixated with rating teams. As far back as '05 the Dublin lads reckoned they were the 3rd best team in the country because they drew with Tyrone.

This discussion was already had earlier in the year on this thread too.

Mayo beat Cork in 2011 and Dublin last year so I can't see why they wouldn't join your top quartet to be honest.

If anything, I would see the top four teams as, in no particular order, Donegal, Dublin, Mayo and Cork. Kerry and Tyrone have slipped back but they would occupy numbers 5 and 6. It still takes a top team to beat them.

Next in line would be Kildare, Down and Derry. The rest, as you say, have alot of ground to make up.

That's based on past performance. Alot has to be seen this year. I know there's an opinion I have an agenda against Kildare but my rating is based on the fact that they lost to Meath, a team then relegated to Division 3, last year. You haven't seen Tyrone or Kerry lose to that sort of opposition in championship football.

I can't understand this need by supporters to constantly talk up their teams and rate them highly either. Better talk them down and be pleasantly surprised IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Lemlin wrote: »
    I dunno why but people on this board have always been fixated with rating teams.

Agreed.

Leave it to the lazy Indo hacks and RTE gravy-trainers.

• Administrators, Sports Moderators Posts: 21,676 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭smashey

I posted as a mod and I rarely use bold text. I really don't see the need as I can generally get my point across and last time I checked, bold text wasn't compulsory.

Leinster JFC

Kildare 0-8 Wicklow 0-7

Kildare play Longford in Newbridge in the Leinster Final in a fortnight's time

• Advertisement

Great stuff. Were you over at it Klairon? I totally forgot about it until I seen the team on FB but by then it was too late. :(

BNMC wrote: »
    Great stuff. Were you over at it Klairon? I totally forgot about it until I seen the team on FB but by then it was too late. :(

I intended going to it but thought the better of it with the weather the way it is. I'll hopefully make the final.

Kildare team was:
    1 Willie Clynch (Grange)
    2 James O'Connor (JTB)
    3 Willie Burke (TMH)
    4 Peter Warren (Maynooth)
    5 Colin O'Shea (Milltown)
    6 Johnny Byrne (Allenwood)
    7 Darren Barker (Kilcullen)
    8 Sean Hurley (JTB)
    9 Dan Grehan (Cloghs)
    10 Keith Cribbin (JTB)
    11 Seamus Hanafin (Ballyteague)
    12 Colm Fagan (Rathcoffey)
    13 Paddy Mahon (Castledermot)
    14 Cian Bolton (Eadestown)
    15 Cathal McNally (JTB)

I intended going to it but thought the better of it with the weather the way it is. I'll hopefully make the final.

Kildare team was:
    1 Willie Clynch (Grange)
    2 James O'Connor (JTB)
    3 Willie Burke (TMH)
    4 Peter Warren (Maynooth)
    5 Colin O'Shea (Milltown)
    6 Johnny Byrne (Allenwood)
    7 Darren Barker (Kilcullen)
    8 Sean Hurley (JTB)
    9 Dan Grehan (Cloghs)
    10 Keith Cribbin (JTB)
    11 Seamus Hanafin (Ballyteague)
    12 Colm Fagan (Rathcoffey)
    13 Paddy Mahon (Castledermot)
    14 Cian Bolton (Eadestown)
    15 Cathal McNally (JTB)

Would many of those lads have been in your U21 team this year?

Would many of those lads have been in your U21 team this year?

Johnny Byrne and Sean Hurley. Daniel Grehan was a sub for the under 21s.

Kildare team for Leinster JFC final v Longford:

1 William Clynch - Grange
    2 James O Connor - Johnstownbridge
    3 William Burke - Two Mile House
    4 Peter Warren - Maynooth
    5 Daithi Duke - Kilcock
    6 Darren Barker - Kilcullen
    7 Colin O'Shea - Milltown
    8 Keith Cribbin - Johnstownbridge
    9 Shane Darcy - Two Mile House
    10 Hughie Mahon - Athy
    11 Seamus Hannifin (Captain) - Ballyteague
    12 Colum Fagan - Rathcoffey
    13 Paddy Mahon - Castledermot
    14 Cian Bolton - Eadstown
    15 Cathal McNally - Johnstownbridge

Kildare 2-15 Longford 3-8

Kildare are the Leinster Junior Football Champions for the second time in three years!

Kildare 2-15 Longford 3-8

Kildare are the Leinster Junior Football Champions for the second time in three years!

Congrats folks.

Kildare team v Dublin:

1 Mark Donnellan - Maynooth
    2 Peter Kelly - Two Mile House
    3 Mick Foley - Athy
    4 Hugh McGrillen - Celbridge
    5 Éamonn Callaghan - Naas
    6 Morgan O'Flaherty - Carbury
    7 Emmet Bolton - Eadestown
    8 Daryl Flynn - Moorefield
    9 Dan Flynn - Johnstownbridge
    10 Paul Cribbin - Johnstownbridge
    11 Niall Kelly - Athy
    12 Eoghan O'Flaherty - Carbury
    13 Johnny Doyle - Allenwood
    14 Tomás O'Connor - Clane
    15 Paddy Brophy - Celbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

I'll be very surprised if that's how the team actually line up. McGeeney's not gonna start now just 'cus HQ say he might maybe get in trouble.

Also, are we really trying the tactic of playing TO'C in at full forward again? It simply doesn't work against the better counties

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Have a feeling E Doyle maybe in for O'Flaherty and maybe Smith or Johnston in for O'Connor.

• Advertisement

full_irish wrote: »
    I'll be very surprised if that's how the team actually line up. McGeeney's not gonna start now just 'cus HQ say he might maybe get in trouble.

Also, are we really trying the tactic of playing TO'C in at full forward again? It simply doesn't work against the better counties

Agree on all points.

We have to try something different even if it is unlikely to work. Nothing to lose in this game.

To Alcohol wrote: »
    Have a feeling E Doyle maybe in for O'Flaherty and maybe Smith or Johnston in for O'Connor.

Morgan or Eoghan?

I don't think Doyle will be fit to be honest. I've heard he has very little work done in the past six weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Morgan or Eoghan?

I don't think Doyle will be fit to be honest. I've heard he has very little work done in the past six weeks.

In for Morgan. If we got 40 mins from Doyle I'd be delighted. Hurley could be another option at full forward. He'd be a good option as you could drop him into midfield if he wasn't getting much change from their full back.

I think Hurley will play. Would not be surprised if there was a change between the sticks too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I think Hurley will play. Would not be surprised if there was a change between the sticks too.

There needs to be tbh. Dublin will run rampant on Kildare if Donnellan is kicking the ball out.

There needs to be tbh. Dublin will run rampant on Kildare if Donnellan is kicking the ball out.
    How do you make that out? Connolly's kickouts against Dublin in the league were awful and it's the reason he was dropped. Connolly is the better keeper but Donnellan's kicking is better IMO.

I think this game will be a lot closer than people think, Dublin do not like playing against us, all the pressure will be on them too.

I hope to God the referee does not ruin this game.

I would not rule out a draw.

Connolly's kickouts have never been his strong point but him and Conway seem to have taken the fall for the debacle in the league which is unfair because the whole team went into meltdown that day.

Donnellan's distribution against Offaly was quite poor but hopefully it was just first day nerves.

Senan Connell on Today FM this evening with the rumour that McGeeney deliberately over trained the players before the Dublin league game to set them up for a fall.

Dermot Earley just laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Senan Connell on Today FM this evening with the rumour that McGeeney deliberately over trained the players before the Dublin league game to set them up for a fall.

McGeeney did say after the Kerry game that the training would be heavier and he did rest the under 21's against Dublin so there was plenty held back.
    I still don't think Kildare are good enough to beat this Dublin team regardless.

• Advertisement

Dermot would know considering he was due to start that day before he did his back in the warm-up.

Just one of those days that Kildare have all too frequently when a team gets a run on us and we give up too easily. I hope that it won't happen again on Sunday and I don't think it will. I expect a defeat but I think we will come out of it with our pride intact.

Advertisement