Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone here a member of a back patch club ?

• 07-02-2010 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭

Not think of joining one myself, but wondering al the same, is it good crack to be in a back patch club ? Indeed what are the back patch / 1% clubs of Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Not in any club meself back patcher or otherwise. Personally I wouldnt be into joining a club. I know loads in clubs and most are sound. i know fellas who where in clubs and had people bitching because they went on a rideout with a group of friends who where not in a club. To much hassle. Ill stick with being a freelance biker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

What happens if a guy with a from club club meets another? Nothing? Or is it like a Blood and a Crip meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

Paparazzo wrote: »
    What happens if a guy with a Vikings patch meets someone with a Devils Disciples patch? Nothing? Or is it like a Blood and a Crip meeting?

I refer you to this:-

http://www.alliancemcireland.com/

This is the Alliance of some of the Irish MC Clubs.
    So to answer your question, we are all brothers so no prob.

Incidentally if you are interested in the social aspects of it without the responsibility, you should check out one of the Custom Bike shows organised by the Clubs you mentioned. All show details for the respective Clubs will appear on their websites, some of which can be reached by the above portal site.
    Any questions- PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

What happens if a guy with a Vikings patch meets someone with a Devils Disciples patch? Nothing? Or is it like a Blood and a Crip meeting?

Different story if they met up with HA or AOA. :eek:

It was a time when some of the Irish clubs didn't see eye to eye but that all changed when the international patch clubs started to arrive 10 years ago.

Different story if they met up with HA or AOA. :eek:

Not necessarily.. And I can speak with a certain amount of authority on this point but I'm not really going to get into what ifs, thats Club Politics and not really what the OP was enquiring about.
    Is it good crack to be in a Back Patch Club?
    "If I have to explain you wouldn't understand." is the sometimes glib response to a genuine question, however a yes or no answer is a bit simplistic.
    The requirements for joining a Back Patch Club will vary from Club to Club,but of one thing you can be sure the process is both lengthy and stringent after all you are making a lifestyle choice not just joining a bike club. Its not known as being a 1%er for nothing!
    The process for Side Patch Clubs is similar but much less demanding as are membership requirements.
    So is it good crack? Depends on your definition I guess, on a personal note some of the best times in my life have been shared with my Brothers - so for me that would be a yeah. It is like anything in life , the more you put in the more you get out.
    Any further queries may be answered by checking out the link in my previous post or alternatively PM me.

Mind how ya go.
    Judas 1%er

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

One thing i cant understand judas is.
    right. we have one in waterford. I know some of them and they are really genuinely sound out.
    we have whatever up the country, you must agree that there is always a fecking eegit in a club that uses the clubs name to get notice. im not gonna say who it is.
    Jaysus I know one or two enforcers and they are sound out.

actually now we on about it. how come HOG have back patches, AFAIK they are not an MC. I was asked to join the HOG in waterford a few years ago and I told my mate that I dont have a harley that they wont leave me in. If ya know the HOG chapter down here ya will know who im on about.

also actually I met a lovely chap out one night at a party, he was a member of HOG and I told him i was related to ben drohan(RIP) and he had a patch in bens memory on his waist coat. now that was really nice. I still have the picture of his patch on me phone.

Thanks for the info Judas. What do people drive in MC's? IS it all harleys and custom stuff? Or do people ride modern japanese sports bikes?

Well guys, I'll try to cover the various points raised although I'm sure you can appreciate if I can't get into specifics on a public forum!
    Seany, I hear ya, however the same is equally true in any social gathering or group/organisation no matter what the motivation be it motorbikes or golf/tiddlywinks/whatever. Human nature being what it is you'll invariably find one in any group-the trick is not to judge any group by the actions of any one individual.
    With regard to HOG - well the acronym does stand for Harley Owners Group so unless ya own one.. well anyway.
    Most guys in HOG I have met over the years seem pretty ok, of course there are always the exceptions.. see above!
    It is a Harley Davidson factory club, the factory set it up in the 80s to capitalise on the increase in sales to the new leisure market - the weekend outlaw as opposed to their traditional markets-1%ers and Police Departments, again I could go on for hours on the subject suffice to say it is not considered to be a Back Patch by those who have earned their Patch the righteous way as opposed to popping into your local H-D Dealership ,credit card in hand.

Mattblacktiger, Yeah they were some pretty good times, especially going back to the Foley Street Club House afterwards for an all nighter!
    Yeah sound advice there for the curious and just as an afterthought on that point remember its like trying to join the circus- you have to ask, you won't be invited!

Paparazzo, depends on the Club, in our case you can hang around on a jap sports bike but if you want to progress in the club,it won't cut it.
    Nothing wrong with them, personally I love em although these days my back doesn't! BUT first and foremost MC Clubs are about custom bikes as evidenced by our shows and what is ridden by our members.
    Yeah a lot of the guys have more than one bike and some of them are Jap sports bikes but and I stress this, the sports bike will not what they go to Shows or runs on. Other Clubs will take a different stance on this, some more open to them and some less so- a lot less so in some cases!

OK so thats about it for the mo, if any of you are ever at one of our Shows- look me up and introduce yourself and we can kickback and talk.

Mind how ya go

Some useless info for you:
    Foley street used to be called Montgomery street. That was the main street in the old red light district "Monto". Supposidly the biggest red light district in europe during the 1700/1800's!

Yeah, as immortalised in the song-

Well if you got a wingo,
    Take her up to ringo,
    Where the waxies sing o all the day,
    If you've had your fill of porter,
    And you can't go any further,
    Give yer man the order "Back to the Quay"

And take her up to Monto, Monto, Monto,
    Take her up to Monto, langeroo, to you.

The Duke of Gloucester
    The dirty old imposter,
    Took his mot and lost her up the Furry Glen,
    He first put on his bowler,
    then he buttoned up his trousers,
    And he whistled for a growler
    And he said "My man",

Take me up to Monto, Monto, Monto,
    Take me up to Monto, langeroo, to you.

You seen the Dublin Fusiliers,
    The dirty auld bamboozlers
    De Wet will get the childer,
    One, two, three
    Marchin from the Linen Hall
    There's one for every canonball,
    And Vicky's going to send yis all o'er the sea,
    http://www.free-lyrics.org

But first go up to Monto, Monto, Monto,
    First go up to Monto, langeroo, to you.

When the Tzar of Russia
    and the King of Prussia,
    Landed in the Phoenix in a big balloon,
    They asked the police band to play the Wearing of the Green,
    But the buggers in the Depot didn't know the tune,

So they both went up to Monto, Monto, Monto,
    They both went up to Monto, langeroo, to you.

The Queen she came to call on us,
    She wanted to see all of us,
    I´m glad she didn't fall on us,
    She's eighteen stone,
    Mr. m'Lord Mayor, says she,
    Is this all you´ve got to show to me?
    Why no, ma'am, there is more to see,
    Póg mo thóin,

And he took her up to Monto, Monto, Monto,
    He took her up to Monto, langeroo,
    Goodnight to you.

Great song by The Dubliners.

Always try to have a Clubhouse with character!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

some choon that 1:) and thats usefull to know paparazzo,,i always wondered where montos was up in dublin from listining to that song,,thats cleared it up nicely,,in fact im going rooting the greatest hits out now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sugarbaker01

hey judas,

What about a new MC Club setting up in Ireland that is NOT a 1% club and has a back patch all one piece?? in the rest of the world these are accepted by many 1%mc clubs ( with the exception of law enforcement mcs). Why not let this happen in Ireland.
    I have tried the whole 1% mc club bit as a hangaround and I guess I just had a bad experience due to a certain "member" of the club and as such have now been branded a failure by some. On the other hand some have told me I was right to do what I did.
    One day before meeting up with the rest of the club I was en- route to have my bike serviced and the rear wheel bearing collapsed and i was left with a damaged bike. Members of the club rang and told me I still had to go to the meet up the following day and then travel to the bike show as a pillion. This I didnt beleive to be right and was of the opinion that if I cant get there under my own power then I should not need to go as a pillion like someones bitch.
    I felt as though it would be an embarrasement to the hangaround flashes I was wearing i.e what use is a hangaround or prospect or full patch member with no bike. And so ended my time in the 1%mc club scene. Even though Ive received some flak for it I still hold my head high.
    Was I wrong?

I hold the utmost respect for you Judas and your Colours.
    regards,
    L.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Xios

If there's a shred of truth to this then i'd rather avoid the back patch clubs, it makes them sound like a bunch of children(which most ain't), there is aboslutely no reason to have disputes. Is there not enough bikes around? Or petrol? There's an abundance of resources for bikers so fighting is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Please don't mention specific club names or members please.

Sorry about my late reply but I was kinda busy to be on the ould internet for any length of time. I will address some points raised as I see them and then thats it for Patch Club 101! I originally came on to this thread to answer A question and not turn it into a Q and A session. In my original posts back in early February, I said that I would not deal with specific issues on a public forum. This is still the case- I won't. However I did state that if anyone wanted to PM me on a related subject to do so and this still stands.
    Anyway now that the caveats are out of the way...
    Lets see, Sugarbaker01, sorry to hear that your short experience wasn't all that it could have been. I can't get into specifics but feel free to PM me. One thing I can say though is from the sound of what you say, you were either not properly briefed as a hangaround or you misunderstood your position in the Club but and I stress this - Its not about you Its about the Club!
    The whole point of hanging around and prospecting is to develop in you an
    Esprit de Corps. If I can paraphrase the late great JFK who said it far better than I ever could
    ask not what your Club can do for you - ask what you can do for your Club.
    That pretty much sums up the 1% ethos. I would be the first to admit that way of thinking and living your life is not for everyone but again I refer you to my earlier posts - Its not known as the 1% life for nothing.
    The probationary periods all Clubs use are in place so that all parties involved are clear on where they stand in the structure and their duties,
    it gives you the chance as a hangaround to find (a) its not for you or (b) it is but I am going to have to make life changing choices to continue. In any event its usual to be assigned a Sponsor, this is a Full Member who will mentor you through the process.
    On the whole Back Patch MCC thing. Its a non runner in my eyes and with reason. The very fact you ask the question about this and then follow up with your story about trying the MC route illustrates why we have an issue with it. Far too often these clubs have set up often by guys who tried to make it as MC but for various reasons didn't and want to look the part without the commitment. This may seem harsh but I have first hand experience of this (when you've been around as long as me thats true of most things!), again can't get into specifics but this crowd went around acting the hard man while our Patch took the rap. A real 1% Club polices the actions of its Members and Clubs themselves such as some Clubs in this country liaise with each other through the Alliance to keep a level playing field. Everyone has an opinion,this is mine.
    We have no issue with either front or side patch clubs and in fact go out of our way to support them, so try this avenue if you want to be in a club without the major commitment and I'll admit the sometimes hassle being a member of an MC can bring.
    I reiterate however, PM me if you want to discuss any of this because I will not be responding to individual cases on a public forum.
    Thanks for heads up on the respect for my Patch, its appreciated!

Xios, no offence I hope, but your comment is several months late based on the quote you used and I believe I attempted to answer it at that point. Read back over the entire thread and you will get the gist of it.

KTRIC, do what you think is necessary to keep order, however bear in mind my coming on here and pontificating would not have held much water had I not revealed my membership in an MC in the first place.
    I do agree with you though as this thread was resurrected after some months and that usually this serves no real purpose.
    So once again thats about it. As far as I'm concerned this thread is closed in so far as I won't be commenting further at this juncture.

Mind how ya go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

Why is the back patch MCC thing a non runner?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Why is the back patch MCC thing a non runner?
    judas1369 wrote: »
    On the whole Back Patch MCC thing. Its a non runner in my eyes and with reason. The very fact you ask the question about this and then follow up with your story about trying the MC route illustrates why we have an issue with it. Far too often these clubs have set up often by guys who tried to make it as MC but for various reasons didn't and want to look the part without the commitment. This may seem harsh but I have first hand experience of this (when you've been around as long as me thats true of most things!), again can't get into specifics but this crowd went around acting the hard man while our Patch took the rap. A real 1% Club polices the actions of its Members and Clubs themselves such as some Clubs in this country liaise with each other through the Alliance to keep a level playing field. Everyone has an opinion,this is mine.

Thought this was good enough answer to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Whats the story behind the 1% bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

They are like motorcycle clubs/gangs such as the Hells Angels, Banditio's, Pagans, Devils Henchmen etc. From Wiki -

" An outlaw motorcycle club (sometimes known as a motorcycle gang) is a type of motorcycle club that is part of a subculture with roots in the post-WWII USA, centered on cruiser motorcycles, particularly Harley-Davidsons and choppers, and a set of ideals celebrating freedom, nonconformity to mainstream culture, and loyalty to the biker group. These clubs are not sanctioned by the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) and do not adhere to the AMA's rules, but instead, generally, the club enforces a set of bylaws on its members that derive from the values of the outlaw biker culture. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlaw_motorcycle_club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

The term One Percenter is said to have been coined after an incident in Hollister, California in 1947[34][35] which was dubbed the Hollister riot. Whether an actual riot occurred is debatable,[36][37][38] but there was a motorcycle rally in Hollister from July 4 to July 6 of that year that was attended by about 4000 people. Several newspaper articles were written that, according to some attendees, sensationalized the event.[37][38][39] Life magazine ran an article that included a staged photo of a slovenly-looking man on a motorcycle with beer bottles piled under the wheels and a bottle in each of his hands.[40] The film The Wild One, starring Marlon Brando, was inspired by this event, and it became the first in a series of movies that depicted bikers and members of motorcycle clubs in this stereotypical manner. It has been reported that the press asked the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) to comment on the Hollister incident, and their response was that 99% of motorcyclists were law-abiding citizens, and the last one percent were outlaws.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

about 1% of bikers are the hardmen that people think bikers are.
    hence 1%er.

an MC is real biker club their back patches mean things they take the club very seriously and full members treat each other with a loyalty and trust that is more normally found in millitary units. afaik a lot of MCs have roots in millary ortganisation. these guys are the 1%ers

an MCC is a bike club, which is less cool than it sounds

a backpatch MCC is a bunch of wannabees who prick round pretending they are 1%ers but generally don't live by the kind of code that the MC guys live by

previously there were scraps between different MCs at rallys etc but that seems to have calmed down, they were brilliant and i miss them
    personally i blame mobile phones they make it too serious as the groups could call for back up too easilly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Harleyfatbob

HI mate - I wanted to ask you a question if you dont mind - A feind of mine was in the States recently who knew I had bought a Harley and was in a Harley shop and he bought me some back patches for my vest - as he said to make me look the "real deal" - bloody cheek of him - anyway this is what they look like - I want to make sure I dont upset any mc members by disrepecting them in any way -

harley patch.jpg

top rocker - Harley Davidson
    Bottom Rocker - Motorcycles
    And in the middle there is a pic of the willy g skull -

Is this offensive for mc clubs or is it ok

Many thanks

Keith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

HI mate - I wanted to ask you a question if you dont mind - A feind of mine was in the States recently who knew I had bought a Harley and was in a Harley shop and he bought me some back patches for my vest - as he said to make me look the "real deal" - bloody cheek of him - anyway this is what they look like - I want to make sure I dont upset any mc members by disrepecting them in any way -

harley patch.jpg

top rocker - Harley Davidson
    Bottom Rocker - Motorcycles
    And in the middle there is a pic of the willy g skull -

Is this offensive for mc clubs or is it ok

Many thanks

Keith

Not sure myself but those patches are bleedin' savage.

Even if they are HD ;)

I know I really like them but dont want to have the **** kicked out of me because of some patches

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I'd say they are OK as they are only brand name patches. Sort of the same as buying a HD jacket that has them on anyway!

If in doubt, PM Judas1369 as he said he would answer specific questions via PM but would not discuss items in the thread itself.

Hey Harleyfatbob PM sent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Some MC clubs have issues with MCC (and individuals) wearing "back patches" on their backs, some of these could be anything from a rock group to desplaying their own club.

I would not see an issue with this if the patch dose not resemble the usual "colour" configuration.

Ok I spoke to several MC / MCC members and all the answers vary - The thing I cannot understand is that its only a motorcycle brand on same and not territory or "rival" gang - Honestly I wont put them on now but its a load bs but respect is respect

Actually a buddy of mine in the UKrecently bought himself a full pach set of Sons of Anarchy - He used them for a fancy dress party he went too as a bad ass biker - He wears them when riding in the uk and only ever gets positive comments from mc guys sayuing they are brilliant - heres to his attitude -:)

This is where he got them - http://www.moviepropzone.com/soa_patches.htm

also

The rock band Black Label Society fans wear full patch sets (front and back) - does this mean they also could end up in trouble or because they got the bus they wont get any hassle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Any patch on the back is a big no no with some lads, definitely wouldn't chance it. It's a privilege to put a back patch on and it has to be earned, it's less about what the patch is and more about the work put in to be given the privilege of wearing one.

Advertisement