Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Bumper Stickers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Even better, I'll take two
    I'd have to agree with some of the points on having usernames on the stickers. Would still like to have a boards sticker though, without the username of course :D

I think there would be a lot more interest in it than we have seen thus far. The summer hasn't kicked in and I'd imagine a lot of folks haven't seen this forum yet this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Not for me, no thanks.
    I'd take one. When you meet up with another Boardsie you don't have to tell them your username. I like the anonymity that d'internet affords me, for various reasons.

I wouldn't have a problem telling a fellow sticker carrying motorhomer my real name bit I'd keep my boards.ie to myself.

let's do it and whoever wants it can download. Over to you Mr Justice, or whatever your name is ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Not for me, no thanks.
    dfbemt wrote: »
    I'd take one. When you meet up with another Boardsie you don't have to tell them your username. I like the anonymity that d'internet affords me, for various reasons.

I wouldn't have a problem telling a fellow sticker carrying motorhomer my real name bit I'd keep my boards.ie to myself.

let's do it and whoever wants it can download. Over to you Mr Justice, or whatever your name is ;)

Yes, I'd go along with this. Good thinking, but the campervan/motorhome side of it must take priority over the boards name, after all that's the part that we're talking about here. :)

And by the way he's not the justice, he's the Sheriff (self elected of course) from 2 very funny movies. Assuming that you have a long memory.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Not for me, no thanks.
    Started a thread over on he digital art and design forum, so fingers crossed we get something good from the guys over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Started a thread over on he digital art and design forum, so fingers crossed we get something good from the guys over there.

Saw your thread over there, and thought why not keep it simple and recognisable?

This took me al of 2 minutes to throw together.

The text could be "now ye'er drivin' / campin' / smokin' / runnin' " i.e insert verb of choice depending on your most visited section of the forum.

Just an idea, very plain, very simple, but recognisable by boardsies the world over :)

199811.jpg

I just took a guess at the font and used arial. Not entirely sure what is used.

• Advertisement

Not for me, no thanks.
    Thanks. tbh, its a bit dull and... well... ordinary if you get me.

I had something in mind that would have the shape of a van or MH in it with the boards logo in it, and a simple slogan like now ye're rolling or something.

Maybe its just me, but that's what i was thinking.

http://www.midwesttrader.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/vans-logo-300x139.jpg

Not for me, no thanks.
    As I said in an earlier post, the emphasis needs to be on Motorhomes/Campervans.

The word "Vans", with a drawing to match, seems to me a bit too much like a delivery firm.

I stopped using the shortened term 'van for my campervan because someone, here on boards, misunderstood and thought I was referring to a commercial vehicle.

As I said in an earlier post, the emphasis needs to be on Motorhomes/Campervans.

The word "Vans", with a drawing to match, seems to me a bit too much like a delivery firm.

I stopped using the shortened term 'van for my campervan because someone, here on boards, misunderstood and thought I was referring to a commercial vehicle.

The vans logo is from a clothing company so we shouldn't use the Vans text on the logo either way.

I would like to see that Vans logo being used but with all the text changed, change the Vans text to the Boards.ie text and then maybe "now ye're campin'" or similar slogan below it?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

It's a little rough around the edges, but something like this ?

Camper_logo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Saw your thread over there, and thought why not keep it simple and recognisable?

This took me al of 2 minutes to throw together.

The text could be "now ye'er drivin' / campin' / smokin' / runnin' " i.e insert verb of choice depending on your most visited section of the forum.

Just an idea, very plain, very simple, but recognisable by boardsies the world over :)

199811.jpg

I just took a guess at the font and used arial. Not entirely sure what is used.

This idea is exactly the kind of idea you want, with a few adjustments. The text should have the same treatment as the 'now ye're talking' (blue with white border [called stroking in graphic design] which is the boards regular logo text treatment and I would break it into 2 lines and omit the right hand repeated motif. I would also suggest using motorin' instead of 'drivin'. 'now ye're on board' is another possibility.

BTJ, you might indeed find it dull etc but the most important thing when using logos is instant brand recognition and recollection. Using something based in DGunner's ticks those boxes.

If you start making logos anything other than really simple or with fancy bits, then the logo suffers. Just do a Google Images search for bumper stickers to see what works best. Eg. using HereAndThere's one has a few problems: too many colours so printing costs go up, flat colours work much better than mixed ones anyway, no space around text and poor contrast so hard to read especially at 50kmph+ and no brand equity from the regular boards logo/motif.

Also worth running this past DeVore. He's quite amenable with stuff like this. He'll like the idea and probably have some suggestions himself. He'll also likely make the original development logo with the necessary layers available. He might well also like some control over what is the brand he is responsible for. I would be unsurprised if he decided to do something like spread this to other forums.

• Advertisement

^^ just going through your suggestions - does the now ye're... have a stroke applied? I don't think it does, only the BOARDS.IE text that I can see.

I'll fire together a few slight variations of this one and you guys can pick. If you do decide to go with it, I can send on a print ready version.

BTW - as this would be printed digitally, having a full colour (4 colour) print really doesn't cost any more than havign a single spot colour run (and if its not a spot that's used, you're doing it in 4 colours anyway - they are 'mixed' to make the blue).

The reason I kept it to the blue / white was merely for brand recognition, nothing else. Simple works IMO.

200175.jpg

200176.jpg

I'll have to try clean up the logo a little bit - there doesn't seem to be a proper vector version available (would like to stroke with blue on the white bumper sticker).

Not for me, no thanks.
    Neonjack wrote: »

Camper_logo.jpg

Personally, I think this is more of what I had in mind. Image in the shape of a Campervan and a logo inside it.

Its more fun than a plain text one imo.

Not for me, no thanks.

Camper_logo.jpg

Nice one Neonjack,
    I'd go for this but I don't think much of the other ideas.

Far too much talk of "brand recognition" and being read at 50kph.
    I thought the original idea was that we would recognise each other not advertise boards as such.
    Add to that, and please no-one take this the wrong way, we don't all say "ye're". Some of us say " you're".

Sorry, but for me, the one above works.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WildWater

Not for me, no thanks.

Camper_logo.jpg

I'd vote for something like this also. To be honest I didn't even recognise the logo in the other one as being boards, my first reaction is that it looked like a speed camera :eek::eek::eek:

Nice one Neonjack,
    I'd go for this but I don't think much of the other ideas.

Far too much talk of "brand recognition" and being read at 50kph.
    I thought the original idea was that we would recognise each other not advertise boards as such.
    Add to that, and please no-one take this the wrong way, we don't all say "ye're". Some of us say " you're".

Sorry, but for me, the one above works.

Well done on completely missing the connection :rolleyes:

Not for me, no thanks.
    Well done on completely missing the connection :rolleyes:

I didn't miss the connection. After all, it was rather obvious.
    I just wouldn't have that spelling on my campervan.

I wonder how I knew that someone would have something to say about that piece?:rolleyes:

I didn't miss the connection. After all, it was rather obvious.
    I just wouldn't have that spelling on my campervan.

I wonder how I knew that someone would have something to say about that piece?:rolleyes:

Well then you have missed the connection, and why it's spelt that way.

Its representative of boards, not of you or whatever horse you fell off.

If you don't like it fine, choose another one - if it is in fact you that is going make the decision that is.

Not for me, no thanks.
    Well then you have missed the connection, and why it's spelt that way.

Its representative of boards, not of you or whatever horse you fell off.

If you don't like it fine, choose another one - if it is in fact you that is going make the decision that is.

Judging by the tone of the above, I appear to have upset you.

Why have this attitude just because I, along with others, prefer a different design?, is it because I explained why I disliked yours perhaps?.

The idea of a bumper sticker was put forward by me as a joke a year or so ago to see what silly slogans we could come up with. We had some good ones but not for displaying in public!.

This time Buford put it up as a serious suggestion. Purely, as I understood it, as a means of recognising each other.
    If your aim is to advertise boards then go ahead, no-one is stopping you.

Don't take it too seriously.

Judging by the tone of the above, I appear to have upset you.

Why have this attitude just because I, along with others, prefer a different design?, is it because I explained why I disliked yours perhaps?.

The idea of a bumper sticker was put forward by me as a joke a year or so ago to see what silly slogans we could come up with. We had some good ones but not for displaying in public!.

This time Buford put it up as a serious suggestion. Purely, as I understood it, as a means of recognising each other.
    If your aim is to advertise boards then go ahead, no-one is stopping you.

Don't take it too seriously.

Definitely didn't upset me lol.

I just thought your reasoning for not wanting that text completely missed the whole point.

Here's one just for you :D
    200192.jpg

• Advertisement

Not for me, no thanks.
    Definitely didn't upset me lol.

I just thought your reasoning for not wanting that text completely missed the whole point.

Here's one just for you :D
    200192.jpg

How very droll.
    Some people just don't let things drop, do they.

How very droll.

Nice to know the humour isn't totally lost on you :P

Not for me, no thanks.

I'm with you on this one IG. For me, I think we should put the boards logo or reference to it simply because its the platform that we use to talk about things. If I wanted to plug boards specifically then I'd just put the boards slogan on the side of my bus.

My thinking behind all of this is to have a simple way of us recognizing each other when we're out and about, with a simple opt out of not putting one on your bus if you don't want to.

I think the logo of the motorhome is more suitable really, due to the MH reference and boardsie inside the image. Therefore anyone who is familiar with the forum will instantly recognize the image when they see it, and to outsiders it'll be just another bonkers sticker on a motorhome.

Neonjack, can you tidy up the image a little, and maybe remove the black shadow from under the wheels?

How about even putting www.boards.ie on the bottom as a piece of text under the image?

Actually, can you have a look at zazzle.co.uk and see if you can get the image to fit in their bumper sticker make and do box? Funnily enough, it doesn't give the dimensions of the sticker area they have there, and the logo is quite small when you try to fit it in, like below:

untitled_110.jpg

Also, it says that it should be in High DEF to print better

Looking at the dimensions of the sticker on that site, it might be best to separate the van image from the text, and have them side by side.

Alternatively - don't use that site, and send to a local printer who won't restrict you on the dimensions or aspect. Have a circular bumper sticker if you want.

Or even a bumper sticker the shape of the camper van. Sure, there'll be an initial extra cost of getting a cutting forme made (about €80 or so) but once that's done just leave it with the printer and print as many or as few as you want, when you want.

There's a developer kit at this link for a number of boards graphics:

http://developer.boards.ie/files/userkit-1.1.zip

stevire wrote: »
    There's a developer kit at this link for a number of boards graphics:

http://developer.boards.ie/files/userkit-1.1.zip

That's what I was using, not much in it really, and no vector graphics.

Not for me, no thanks.
    Hi Sheriff,

I agree with your post but think that the black under the camper makes it look more real. Wheels/feet firmly on the ground. Most of the time at least. As they say, clean side up and dirty side down.

Wouldn't be too keen on the boards web address being on it. Might get people joining just to post about my slow-mobile holding up the traffic:D.

I think that Neonjack has got it just right, with perhaps, a bit of cleaning up as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

I've fooled around with it a little to allow for the sticker size (11 inches by 3).

sticker_2.jpg

The red line comes from my snipping tool and wouldn't be on the finished sticker. Any part of the design can still be changed.

I personally prefer the original effort you had Neonjack. The rectangle bumper stickers are a bit dated at this stage imo, would it be possible to get the sticker with a rounded cut in the shape of the camper?

• Advertisement

Not for me, no thanks.
    stevire wrote: »
    I personally prefer the original effort you had Neonjack. The rectangle bumper stickers are a bit dated at this stage imo, would it be possible to get the sticker with a rounded cut in the shape of the camper?

I agree with stevire about the original being best.
    The black underneath does make it look as though it's on the road.

As to the shape, cut in the shape of the camper I would think will come at a high price. You have to pay for the wasted material when anything is being shaped.

I would think that most of us would stick them on the body of the vehicle, so why not just stick to a square or slightly oblong?.

Also I'm, personally, still not keen on the web address being there, but if they are square those of us who want to could trim that off. (Unless, of course, boards are contributing to the cost!).

Advertisement