Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oracle DBA course

Options
  • 11-04-2015 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm just looking for advice on how to go about becoming a certified Oracle DBA.

Why Oracle? I have some experience in it in the past so it seems the next logical step!

I was thinking about this:

http://www.findacourse.ie/oracle-database-11g-c6174.html

Any other recommendations? Any advice on the best course of action?

If there was something I could do online, even better!

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Grays Sports Almanac

Anyone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Try sureskills or new horizons, not sure of anywhere else that might run it in Dublin.

Thanks for the reply, but they only seem to offer SQL Server courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

I'd call them, they might not have them on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Hi,

I'm just looking for advice on how to go about becoming a certified Oracle DBA.

Why Oracle? I have some experience in it in the past so it seems the next logical step!

I was thinking about this:

http://www.findacourse.ie/oracle-database-11g-c6174.html

Any other recommendations? Any advice on the best course of action?

If there was something I could do online, even better!

Thanks.

Is this what you are looking for HERE. I have recently done 3 MTA course with Global Knowledge funded by Skillnets. I would highly recommend them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Used BT myself.

http://www.trainingsolutions.bt.com/courseoutlines%5CORC046.htm

Found the tutor very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The Oracle certifications are divided up into Associate and Professional (I'm an Oracle Certified Professional).

Your first step should be the Associate track, for that you need an SQL fundamentals course (purely SQL - if you have any experience with SQL, it should be handy to pass with a little bit of study), along with an Administration course. All that is required is that you take the two exams, at your own leisure, whenever suits you.

Once you get the Certified Associate track, you then start yourself on the Professional track. That requires one 5-day hands-on course and here's where things get tricky. I would double-check that the course at Dorset College actually meets these requirements. To be frank, I doubt it would. As far as I recall, an institution needs to be an Oracle Partner and all the red tape that goes with that. I don't know anything about Dorset college, but I would not hand over any money until you are certain it meets the requirement.

One question - just how much experience do you have of Oracle? It ain't easy. I had to take the final exam twice before I passed it and I had (at the time) about 8 years experience working with Oracle.

Thanks for the info Tom!

I've only a couple of years of writing basic SQL. So I'd need to hit the books for the associate cert. but once I have it I'd be looking for a job where I've exposure to Orcale db's and take it from there. Sounds so easy, doesn't it! :)

But that's where my head is...

Advertisement