Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beat a game from your backlog this February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Some way through Transformers: Fall of Cybertron at the moment as one of my 'ones to beat' this month. Graphically its beautiful, one of the best looking games I've played this gen.

If someone wants to pick what's next on my backlog hitlist, I'd be very grateful.

Choices are as follows :s

darksiders
    infamous 2
    LBP 2
    Motorstorm apocalypse
    deus ex: hr
    dead space 1
    dead space 2
    crysis 2
    vanquish
    mass effect 1
    mass effect 3
    far cry 3
    batman arkham city
    hitman
    dishonoured
    spec ops the line
    binary domain
    resistance 2
    mirrors edge
    UC1
    Ni No Kuni* (to be added to the collection soon)

Get stuck into Spec Ops once you finish Transformers! :P

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

deus ex: hr: Very good, great story, great settings, excellent gamplay. Felt the last act was quite weak though.

dead space 1= Excellent atmosphere and satisfying gameplay mechanics. Decent story.

dead space 2= Great game too, but lacks the impact of the first.

crysis 2= good gameplay, well paced after it recovers from its slow start, naff plot. Looks good but lacks the wow factor of the original and suffers from a fair few graphical glitches. Suffers from buggy A.I in places.

mass effect 1= Excellent game, great story, great gameplay, on the downside is the terrible inventory and the copy and paste enviroments.

mass effect 3= Good game, story and gameplay wise its fine now that ending has been fixed.

far cry 3= Excellent all round, Looks great, good story, good gameplay, lets you have all the weapons early on to play with. Bit easy though

batman arkham city= Excellent all round. End boss was a little disappointing.

hitman= Which one, Blood Money is best in series. Absolution is a good stealth game, but alot of it is not about being a hitman, but just staying out of sight or escaping an area. Plot is okay, but the dialogue is terrible (not bad voice acting though).

dishonoured= Good open ended gameplay. Good story, great setting. Bit easy though.

spec ops the line= Excellent story, average gameplay.

mirrors edge= the free running gameplay is fun and different. Nice art direction. Naff plot and rubbish combat mechanics (minor part so not a big issue). Short too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

@aaroh007

I would suggest Spec Ops: The Line. It has a story worth seeing and the gameplay is pretty fun for the most part. It is also short so knock it off your list.

The same goes for Binary Domain. Like above the story is good, bonkers, but fun. The gunplay is a lot of fun too. The mechanic of shooting the limbs off the enemy is great. The game is short too. So you could play both of these in February and cut down that list of yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I'm working on L.A.: Noire and AvP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Metro 2033, so far it's S.T.A.L.K.E.R In a very good way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Dishonored it is for me. Will try Hitman too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Awesome thread idea.

I'm not going to contribute much this month because I'm dedicating February to stopping games from entering the backlog (from where they rarely return). Hence this month I've already blitzed through Fall of Cybertron (fantastic), am currently putting hours into Sleeping Dogs (brilliant) and I'm then hoping to spend the last week of the month playing Farcry 3.

If this thread continues next month then I'll try to take a chunk out of the backlog then.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

My backlog will have to wait again... I downloaded Tera online... **** these mmorpgs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Finished Just Cause 2. I'll be working on Sleeping Dogs next.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Metro 2033 - 11.4 Hours on Hardcore.

Good game. Recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Started up Assassin's Creed 2 on PC and now i understand why PC gamers get so pissed off about console ports. The amount of pop up in this game is dire, some things don't render until i'm almost 2 meters away from them, along with the low res textures when im more than 5 meters away from anything. And the shadows! Don't get me started on them.

I feel ripped off having bought AC2, Brotherhood and Revelation during the winter sale and i know i wont play any of them. Lucky enough it cost me only about €20 for the 3 of them. I would be furious if i paid full price for any one of these on release day. Last Ubisoft game ill be buying.

Guess ill start Darksiders 2 which seems like a decent PC port

Odd, the Assassins Creed games are regarded as good solid ports. Decent amount of graphic options, stable, none buggy and works fine with keyboard and mouse as well as game pad.

I personal had no issues in terms of glitches or bugs with any of the Assassins Creeds on PC from AC1 up to Revelations. I can't recall a single issue, but its a while since I played them.

I noticed no pop up in AC2. None of the reviews at the time cited issues with poor graphics, bad texture pop up or low res texture. The textures are no better than console for sure, but there not bad. At least they where not at time of release.

AC2 on PC got all the DLC content added in for free, the only things that went against it where poor DRM (which I believe is no longer the case), a bad menu system and using unhelpful pictographs for button tutorials.

From what I heard about Darksiders 2, its mean't to be a pretty much barebone ports. Works fine, but little else from the console version except higher resolutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

elekid wrote: »
    I'm 35 hours into Tales of the Abyss on the 3DS and really enjoying it. Alongside that I'm playing Mighty Switch Force HD on the Wii U and Vessel on Steam. I expect to finish them all before the end of February.

All finished! Tales of the Abyss was especially good from that bunch.

Now I'm playing (the amazing) Sequence on Steam, plus I also started Torchlight today. I figure I'll get Sequence finished in February, I'm not so sure about Torchlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Just finished Spec Ops: The Line. 6 hours according to Steam - 6 hours well spent. Very enjoyable.

Now, somebody want to pick my next game from the following:
    Metro 2033
    Bioshock
    Deus Ex:HR
    Fallout 3
    Hitman:Blood Money
    Mirror's Edge
    Stalker: Call of Pripyat
    Saints Row 3
    Sins of a Solar Empire:Trinity
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Unmechanical
    The Witcher

I'd like to get them all finished this year. Not looking very likely however :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    I've been clearing my backlog since just before Christmas. Have finished:

Portal
    Portal 2
    Monkey Island
    Monkey Island 2
    Trine
    Trine 2
    Lego LOTR (completed it straight away, wasn't really backlog)
    Civ V: Gods & Kings (played a full game)

Have sunk some time into TF2 and Planetside 2, which I hadn't really bothered with previously.

Bastion and Tropico 3 next on the list!

Can add Bastion to the finished list now. Quite short, highly recommended though.

In order of which I'd prefer to play:

Metro 2033
    Legend of Grimrock
    Half Life 2
    Worms Reloaded
    The Witcher 2
    Tropico 3
    LOTR: War in the North
    Sleeping Dogs
    etc.

Going to try to get Metro finished in the next week or two, already a good bit into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Azza wrote: »
    Odd, the Assassins Creed games are regarded as good solid ports. Decent amount of graphic options, stable, none buggy and works fine with keyboard and mouse as well as game pad.

I personal had no issues in terms of glitches or bugs with any of the Assassins Creeds on PC from AC1 up to Revelations. I can't recall a single issue, but its a while since I played them.

I noticed no pop up in AC2. None of the reviews at the time cited issues with poor graphics, bad texture pop up or low res texture. The textures are no better than console for sure, but there not bad. At least they where not at time of release.

AC2 on PC got all the DLC content added in for free, the only things that went against it where poor DRM (which I believe is no longer the case), a bad menu system and using unhelpful pictographs for button tutorials.

From what I heard about Darksiders 2, its mean't to be a pretty much barebone ports. Works fine, but little else from the console version except higher resolutions.

Every 1080p video of AC2 and Brotherhood on youtube i can notice the same problems that im having. Its odd as some people seem to be able to overlook the problems and get on with the game. I. just....cant.

Yeah had a look at a few AC2 video's and that's pretty much how its suppose to look. Looks likes its a case of the game not being up to your expectations rather than a bad port.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

TPD wrote: »
    Just finished Spec Ops: The Line. 6 hours according to Steam - 6 hours well spent. Very enjoyable.

Now, somebody want to pick my next game from the following:
    Metro 2033
    Bioshock
    Deus Ex:HR
    Fallout 3
    Hitman:Blood Money
    Mirror's Edge
    Stalker: Call of Pripyat
    Saints Row 3
    Sins of a Solar Empire:Trinity
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Unmechanical
    The Witcher

I'd like to get them all finished this year. Not looking very likely however :P

stalker call of pripyat
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-pripyat-complete install this though, bugfixes/graphical improvements

Metro 2033= Only played a little of it, looks great, seems to have a good atmosphere, voice acting seems okay. Can't really comment on gameplay.

Bioshock= Great game, great artisitc design and a good story. On the downside was a bit easy and the last 2 chapters aren't as strong as what came before, end boss was poor.

Deus Ex:HR: see my post above.

Fallout 3: Can't compare this to the originals as I have not played them. I enjoyed this, the combat mechanics are okay but they do get tiresome due to the length of the game, Great setting and like most Bethesda games going off and exploring and finding stuff is great fun. Meh main storyline.

Hitman:Blood Money : Best Hitman game. Trademark of the series is that hide in plain sight stealth mechanics. Some creative and satisfying kills. Its a puzzle game, where the puzzle is figuring out how to insert a bullet into the back of someones head without being seen. Of all the Hitman games it gives you the most freedom. Storywise its also about the best of the Hitman games but its nothing great.

Mirror's Edge: see my post above.

Saints Row 3: No experience of this series till this game. Good fun gameplay, decent graphics. Humor is hit and miss. Storyline is insanely over the top (the last few missions have wrestling matches with chainsaws, zombies, flying aircraft carriers, trips to mars and Bert Reynolds). A little easy for the first 2/3 of the game but becomes a bit more challenging in the final third.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: Played half of this. Game is good, excellent story and a great character in HK-47. Old school D&D RPG mechanics that take time to get to grips with if your not familiar with them.

The Witcher: Good game, very long, but after the second area or so is too easy. Gameplay is solid once you get the hang of it. The story is good but looses the plot towards the end but still manages to redeem itself at the very end. One problem throughout the game is doing missions outside the order the developers intended for the storyline, which makes the storyline hard to follow. So so voice acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Sir Digby got in there first, so Pripyat it is! Does that mod detract much from the framerate? My machine gets through GTA4 and more recently Spec Ops on medium or so, at a playable level.

• Advertisement

TPD wrote: »
    Sir Digby got in there first, so Pripyat it is! Does that mod detract much from the framerate? My machine gets through GTA4 and more recently Spec Ops on medium or so, at a playable level.

uuugh, i dunno tbh. i remember it took away a lot from chernobyl but because pripyat is a newer game it didn't have as much of an improvement graphics wise to gain from the complete mod so... maybe not?

you have to start the game without the mod first btw, just load it, start a new game and exit. then install the mod and yer flyin.

azza we're only 12 days into february, have you slept at all this month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

azza we're only 12 days into february, have you slept at all this month?

I think they are games he has played beforehand so was giving (very good) mini reviews on the ones TPD listed above to help them pick.

Yup just giving my opinion on the games I've played over the years from the lists people are posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'm actually pretty happy with the number of games I've finished recently (especially on the vita and PS3) but then I realised that I've still a few left so I'll leave it up to the ye to decide.

I'm currently playing through Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the Wii and I reckon I'm halfway through it.

PS3:

Just Cause 2
    Quantum Conundrum
    GTA: The lost and Damned
    Army Of Two: The 40th day (I'll probably only play this in local co op)

Vita:

Unit 13
    Jet Set Radio
    Final Fantasy IX
    Knytt Underground
    Super Stardust Delta

Wii:

Zelda: OOT
    Zelda: Wind Waker
    Metroid Prime Trilogy (Finished the first 2)
    MadWorld
    New Super Mario Bros (Same as Army of two)

So what do ye think? I'll probably play through 1 on each console as opposed to sticking to just one game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

tok9 wrote: »
    I'm actually pretty happy with the number of games I've finished recently (especially on the vita and PS3) but then I realised that I've still a few left so I'll leave it up to the ye to decide.

I'm currently playing through Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the Wii and I reckon I'm halfway through it.

PS3:

Just Cause 2
    Quantum Conundrum
    GTA: The lost and Damned
    Army Of Two: The 40th day (I'll probably only play this in local co op)

Vita:

Unit 13
    Jet Set Radio
    Final Fantasy IX
    Knytt Underground
    Super Stardust Delta

Wii:

Zelda: OOT
    Zelda: Wind Waker
    Metroid Prime Trilogy (Finished the first 2)
    MadWorld
    New Super Mario Bros (Same as Army of two)

So what do ye think? I'll probably play through 1 on each console as opposed to sticking to just one game.

The lost and the damned I can definitely vouch for. If you're a fan of sons of anarchy youll enjoy its plot more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭steve_r

The lost and the damned I can definitely vouch for. If you're a fan of sons of anarchy youll enjoy its plot more

+1 on that. I did prefer TBOGT tho. Good fun, and short enough to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    Can add Bastion to the finished list now. Quite short, highly recommended though.

In order of which I'd prefer to play:

Metro 2033
    Legend of Grimrock
    Half Life 2
    Worms Reloaded
    The Witcher 2
    Tropico 3
    LOTR: War in the North
    Sleeping Dogs
    etc.

Going to try to get Metro finished in the next week or two, already a good bit into it.

Ok, hit a brick wall with Metro. Got to a stage at the start of chapter 3 which I can't seem to get through, even when I bring the difficulty down to easy. Wasn't enjoying it that much anyway. Going to try Half Life 2 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

@JohnMarston

I'd vote for Just Cause 2. It is a really fun game to just mess about in. Once you get the story missions out of the way just go and cause mayhem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Azza wrote: »
    Metro 2033= Only played a little of it, looks great, seems to have a good atmosphere, voice acting seems okay. Can't really comment on gameplay.

Bioshock= Great game, great artisitc design and a good story. On the downside was a bit easy and the last 2 chapters aren't as strong as what came before, end boss was poor.

Deus Ex:HR: see my post above.

Fallout 3: Can't compare this to the originals as I have not played them. I enjoyed this, the combat mechanics are okay but they do get tiresome due to the length of the game, Great setting and like most Bethesda games going off and exploring and finding stuff is great fun. Meh main storyline.

Hitman:Blood Money : Best Hitman game. Trademark of the series is that hide in plain sight stealth mechanics. Some creative and satisfying kills. Its a puzzle game, where the puzzle is figuring out how to insert a bullet into the back of someones head without being seen. Of all the Hitman games it gives you the most freedom. Storywise its also about the best of the Hitman games but its nothing great.

Mirror's Edge: see my post above.

Saints Row 3: No experience of this series till this game. Good fun gameplay, decent graphics. Humor is hit and miss. Storyline is insanely over the top (the last few missions have wrestling matches with chainsaws, zombies, flying aircraft carriers, trips to mars and Bert Reynolds). A little easy for the first 2/3 of the game but becomes a bit more challenging in the final third.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: Played half of this. Game is good, excellent story and a great character in HK-47. Old school D&D RPG mechanics that take time to get to grips with if your not familiar with them.

The Witcher: Good game, very long, but after the second area or so is too easy. Gameplay is solid once you get the hang of it. The story is good but looses the plot towards the end but still manages to redeem itself at the very end. One problem throughout the game is doing missions outside the order the developers intended for the storyline, which makes the storyline hard to follow. So so voice acting.

Agree on Bioshock, just finished it and it starts very strong but you become very overpowered near the end (especially with the wrench). Sorry I didn't play it on a higher difficulty, still enjoyed it though.

Advertisement