Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

TR072 Pharmacy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭abdul 1995

hi guys
    any advise on the dispensing exam that we have on thursday ( anything that can make me more familiar with the examwhat to expect e.t.c.) and thank you very much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

abdul 1995 wrote: »
    hi guys
    any advise on the dispensing exam that we have on thursday ( anything that can make me more familiar with the examwhat to expect e.t.c.) and thank you very much :)

It's basically a normal dispensing class except there are barrier walls between each computer and it'll be under exam conditions.

can i just ask how many people failed from last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

I know it was way less than our year but this years second years are a bunch of geniuses compared to our year and fourth year. Apparently schols are higher than average in pharmacy this year too (wouldnt be hard considering none in my year got them).
    I know in our year it was around 25-30 from first year who had a repeat in first year.
    Theres still plenty of time left to get studying though so dont be too worried....yet

anyone have an electronic version of ph1002 lab reports that they can send me. thanks

• Advertisement

anyone have an electronic version of ph1002 lab reports that they can send me. thanks

Do your own lab reports!:D

I can only find 2 of them and they're dire. :rolleyes:
    If you want them you can have them but you'll be lucky to get a pass with them. From what I can remember its healy's one that you need to put the most effort into.

yeah itll be great if u can send them to me, i dont even have results for some of them, quigley used to come into lab and say i have this and that with second years blablabla and walk out,i basically spent around 30 mins in each lab and then walked out( except for cmc one) and now that i have to do the lab reports and want to them properly i cant :(

yeah itll be great if u can send them to me, i dont even have results for some of them, quigley used to come into lab and say i have this and that with second years blablabla and walk out,i basically spent around 30 mins in each lab and then walked out( except for cmc one) and now that i have to do the lab reports and want to them properly i cant :(

Your best bet would be to get the results of someone in your class...or make them up:cool:

hahaha or ill just say f it and repeat the labs during summer it will be fun :rolleyes:

hahaha or ill just say f it and repeat the labs during summer it will be fun :rolleyes:

Email quigs and tell him you've "lost" the results and with exams and stuff your under pressure etc etc and were wondering whats the best way to approach the situation...ITs worked for me before. You dont want to be repeating anything over the summer but if I had to chose Id chose lab reports

• Advertisement

Scortho wrote: »
    Email quigs and tell him you've "lost" the results and with exams and stuff your under pressure etc etc and were wondering whats the best way to approach the situation...ITs worked for me before. You dont want to be repeating anything over the summer but if I had to chose Id chose lab reports
    i just did and he replies :
    Dear Abdul,
    Time may be a little short.
    This can wait until after the exam session.
    Kind regards,
    John. did he just tell im repeating them in summer?
    waaaaaaaaaaagh :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Dear Abdul,
    Kind regards,

You're hardly going to have to repeat labs. I think he means just do the reports after the exams. The exams are going to be worth far more than the 15% for 1002 anyway :P

i hope so! :)

Dear Abdul,
    Kind regards,

He just did you a massive favour. Instead of making you submit them before the exams he's allowing you to STUDY now and not worry about them. Hes after giving you a 2 month or so extension. That said if you wish you can refuse the extension and instead of studying for the more important theory paper waste a day doing write ups. Id do the 02 study if I were you. Would you rather repeat the 02 paper in August or do the write ups. Trust me trinity in August ain't fun!:(

honestly, this guys a legend :D cant hope to pass without him xD

to the general public : this doesnt mean pharmacy is hard its a really fun course and rewarding degree, im just lazy :p

to the general public : this doesnt mean pharmacy is hard its a really fun course and rewarding degree, im just lazy :p

Are you sure your doing the same course as me???

LOL

Any words of advice for the last of these 3 weeks? I'm focusing mainly on Physiology, Biology and 1003 at the moment. Not sure how to approach Practice of Pharmacy tbh. I'm guessing if I cover Cicely Roche's stuff well I'll have an essay. What's the MCQ like? Negative marking :/

Also, fun and pharmacy? :P It's not a bad course in the long run but there's a lot of stuff to cover :L

Handed in the last lab report of the year. Now time to settle in to a hellish two and a half weeks

• Advertisement

JeaicMaG wrote: »
    Any words of advice for the last of these 3 weeks? I'm focusing mainly on Physiology, Biology and 1003 at the moment. Not sure how to approach Practice of Pharmacy tbh. I'm guessing if I cover Cicely Roche's stuff well I'll have an essay. What's the MCQ like? Negative marking :/

Also, fun and pharmacy? :P It's not a bad course in the long run but there's a lot of stuff to cover :L
    why do biology when u already have around 20 to 25% from the lab mcq's and practicals ( btw u dont need over 40% to pass written exam) so u can just walk in get 20% and you have passed, do ph1002 so much in it and physiology and ph1003. take my advise as im definitely gonna ace all the exams like a boss :cool:

JeaicMaG wrote: »

Yeah I'd rather do the leaving cert twice than go through 1st or second year pharmacy.

01 know jwalsh mechanisms (if you haven't got harts book yet, get it!) you can pass 01 with knowing quigs alone, but that's risky. Stick to the info on his lecture slides and you'll at least get 60% from his 2 questions. Make sure to know Newman projections and stuff.

02 again quigs you can pass on quigs. I went in with that attitude though and ended up back in there at August. Know solubility and healys isotherms. There should be 6 graphs in total. Tajber is easy enough to get marks of as well. The saqs are mainly definitions so know stuff like critical micele conc.

03 is tricky. You have to answer the first question and pass on it.
    I'd leave out sasse. She's hard to get a good mark off and her slides are crap. Maybe if you have a good set of lecture notes maybe do it (Abdul I know you don't!:D ). Megan's two questions are a definite so know metabolism inside out.
    Fabio and quigs share a question. Fabios us easy (3-4 line summary on a no. Of plants,) but quigs one was tough.
    J gilmer is lovely. As is o donoghue. They correct like meegan, if you know the basics they will pass you.

04 theory was a piece of piss. Basically dosage forms. Boring as hell though.

05: if you did honours maths youll fly it. Know quigs half life and 0 first and second order equations as well and how to define them....should be 10-15 lines or something.....I think this was 05 but drop him an email to make sure.

Biology: I scraped a pass on this by using leaving cert biology and a bit of cramming the night before. I'd leave out genetics and the micro stuff such as fungi. To hard to cram!

Physiology: now that's where the fun lies. See all those lectures? A question can come from any one of them. 10 in total. So study study study!
    For the mcqs use the mcqs I gave you. There's nothing that you can really do to prepare for them other than learn the whole physiology book.
    What's the neg. marking for it? If its less than 0.5 I'd guess the answers that I didn't know.

Biochem: mcq answers. Really that's it for that one. No neg marking either. There should be a few biochem papers online. Split the questions between a few of yee and find the answers. Don't bother looking at the slides...that's for the med students.

Lastly 06.
    No wwham and otc codeine. You'll get a pass in henmans question fairly easily. Henman always has a question on the paper so I'd be more inclined to go for his stuff. Does cicely?
    Mcqs are tricky: stuff like is x true and is y true and is y an explanation of x or something! : confused I leave these ones blank.

Make a study timetable. Don't neglect any one module as any of them could land you back in Luce in August and that's no fun.

Handed in the last lab report of the year. Now time to settle in to a hellish two and a half weeks

How'd schols go?

I feel your pain. I've four outstanding but I'd rather study and let Walsh and sasse chase me for them after the exams. Or dock me 1%!:D

why do biology when u already have around 20 to 25% from the lab mcq's and practicals ( btw u dont need over 40% to pass written exam) so u can just walk in get 20% and you have passed, do ph1002 so much in it and physiology and ph1003. take my advise as im definitely gonna ace all the exams like a boss :cool:

Biology is a bitch of an exam but you do have a good component already in the bag.
    No chromatography inside out for 03.

How'd schols go?
    Got them :D

Lost two days of study time but i'm far from complaining.
    Biology is a bitch of an exam but you do have a good component already in the bag.
    No chromatography inside out for 03.
    I'd treat biology to almost the same level as physiology. Together, they're probably the toughest exams.

If it's any help, there are four main lecturers in biology and two sections of three essays each on the biology paper. The first three questions come from the Chemistry of Life and Genetics sections. The second three come from the microbio and developmental biology sections. Last year, there were two genetics questions and two microbio questions. This year, if the pattern holds true (And I think that's likely given how it's probably designed to balance the lecturers' workloads) you should see two chemistry of life and two developmental biology sections.

If you need to be selective, study those two sections more thoroughly than the other two.

Sound lads :) the negative marking I was talking about is 1006 :) Physiology has none so we're good to go. I'm finding writing essays on O' Neill's stuff tough but I saw the pattern and I'm not sure if I'll take the risk on genetics in the hope of getting a nice question. I reckon I might be able to make one up on the day for O' Neill's but I'd say it'll be all over the place

My plan so far has been do Physiology first, then Biology and then the Ph100etc. ones (because I know these the best atm) but I end up spending the entire day on Physiology! I think I need to revise my strategy :L It gets very tiring very quick sitting around reading that book :P

I take it by o neill you mean Luke I neill?
    If so I'd avoid that question. I remember looking at the papers and seeing stuff in his question that wasn't in his lecture slides and stuff that required loads of extra reading. Unless your into that thing.

Congrats partyatmygaff. Can we have a tcd beers after party at your new gaff next year?:D

You takin residences or the dosh?

wow just looked up schols they are cool, defo going for it next year congrats by the way :D

Yeah Luke :P Yeah I'm going to go with Genetics and Developmental and cover the others for the SAQs.

Also congrats partyatmygaff on schols :D

• Advertisement

wow just looked up schols they are cool, defo going for it next year congrats by the way :D

Really?:confused:

Does boards ban taking bets/putting odds on other users doing something....:pac:

Abdul is 3 months of straight study worth them to you? Ye the free accommodation would be nice, but you need to be of genius level and beyond to get them

Advertisement