Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

TR072 Pharmacy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭abdul 1995

Hi
    Im in first year pharmacy at the moment and just wanted to ask you guys,any tips for these last few months
    like what to watch out for e.t.c i know pharmaceutics and physiology are the main ones (just baught the book) but t
    are there any other practical tips you can share with me thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

abdul 1995 wrote: »
    Hi
    Im in first year pharmacy at the moment and just wanted to ask you guys,any tips for these last few months
    like what to watch out for e.t.c i know pharmaceutics and physiology are the main ones (just baught the book) but t
    are there any other practical tips you can share with me thanks :D

Start studying now! I'm serious about this.
    03 can be tricky as the 1st question you have to pass which is mcq's on tlc.
    For 01 make sure you have a good set of walsh's lecture notes. Likewise for 03.
    For biochem and physiology you should have received mcq answers already. If not pm me and ill send them on.
    04 theory is a piece of cake. As Is the maths.

Oh and get locked tomorrow at the ball! Just remember ambulances aren't taxis!:)

does it matter that i missed 3/4 of ph1003 leactures so far :'( its just cause their sooo boring

does it matter that i missed 3/4 of ph1003 leactures so far :'( its just cause their sooo boring

Only Walsh and fabio are boring. In fairness tlc ain't the most interesting thing to lecture on. Same goes for sasse.
    The other lectures by quigley odonoghue gilmer and Megan are really good and I'd advise that you definitely go to them.
    Gilmer gives lectures on prodrugs which is one of his areas of research. In fact he has set up a company on a prodrug aspirin which is entering phase 1 trials.

If you've missed 3/4 lectures don't worry. It's too late to turn back the clock now. Just do what I did and get a good set of lecture notes of one of the people in your class and you'll be fine. The only one who you really need your own lecture notes for is jwalsh and fabio for question 1. For The other ones in that module you'll get by with the lecture slides.
    Pay attention to odonoghues gilmers and Megan's. that's 60% of the paper and they're fair when it comes to marking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Pharmacy ball in full swing... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

If you had the time to post on boards then it wasn't swinging hard enough. ;)

Ugh don't remind me. Still hanging from it. Lived up to the messiest drunk title anyway!:)

If you had the time to post on boards then it wasn't swinging hard enough. ;)

If you were posting this at 8 this morning it wasn't for you either!:p unless you weren't there......

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I don't know what you're talking about Scortho you were perfectly coherent :P

JeaicMaG wrote: »
    I don't know what you're talking about Scortho you were perfectly coherent :P

Alcohol has an exponential effect on me.....I didn't surpass my mystery tour antics at least!:p

• Advertisement

HI guys we got carstens calculation test tomorrow and were supposed to do them without calculators but i have some questions of his type of questions that was given to us by quigley and they really take time without a calculator,what do you think?
    thanks

HI guys we got carstens calculation test tomorrow and were supposed to do them without calculators but i have some questions of his type of questions that was given to us by quigley and they really take time without a calculator,what do you think?
    thanks
    If it's any help, the questions on isotonicity and osmolarity don't come up in the first year calculations test.

The rest aren't too bad. If they're taking too much time, there's not much you can do save for practicing. They're easy enough once you get the hang of them.

what do you think is it easy to get the 7 out of 10 or does he make it a bit challenging,and when are the reapeat exams for carstens calc. test
    thank you

what do you think is it easy to get the 7 out of 10 or does he make it a bit challenging,and when are the reapeat exams for carstens calc. test
    thank you
    Having only ever sat a single one of Carsten's calculation tests, all I can say is the one he had for us last year seemed fair. How easy it is to pass... well that depends on how good you are at calculations :P The general consensus after the exam as far as I remember was "That was easier than I expected". Make of that what you will.

Repeats are around Mar/Apr. Not entirely sure of that though, I passed the test first time around :D

hmm im the sort of guy that always 'just about' gets things so im a little scared :(

Then "just about" pass the exam and you'll be grand. Go for the most difficult calculations out of each section in the examples and do them repeatedly until you're sure of the method.

Our year got caught out on converting lb to kg.
    1 kg has 2.2lb.
    Calculations test is a piece of cake. You only need 4/10 in carstens as its the sum of his and quigley that go towards it.
    They're both handy though.

hi guys,
    whats the best way to study from a slide,got to look over 17 slide for physiology(test on wednesday)
    do i re-write them or just try memorise.

hi guys,
    whats the best way to study from a slide,got to look over 17 slide for physiology(test on wednesday)
    do i re-write them or just try memorise.

Different strokes for different folks really. Personally I prefer slides, however others will find rewriting them better.
    What worked for you last year. Did you work from your school books or did you write out your own notes.
    Just because writing them out works for Mary doesn't mean it's going to work for John.
    Don't try learn them off word for word. Find the key words on the slide and work from there. And really reading them a few times should get most into your head!

hi
    do we have easter holidays?

• Advertisement

Technically no but there's usually little to nothing going on (Barr the 06 practical exams) in Week 32.

After that, we've all got a four week holiday... providing a hellish month of non-stop, frantic study is your idea of a holiday of course :p

hi
    do we have easter holidays?

Haha yes!
    Good Friday and Easter Monday!:)
    We then have4 days of lectures followed by 3 revision weeks from the 8th of April and the exams start on the 29th.
    They then run for a month, and pharmacy exams will be a month long and the last day of exams are on the 25th of May. By the time you're finished, you wish you were doing the leaving cert again.
    You should then get the results on the 17th of June and find out whether your summers ruined or not.

Technically no but there's usually little to nothing going on (Barr the 06 practical exams) in Week 32.

After that, we've all got a four week holiday... providing a hellish month of non-stop, frantic study is your idea of a holiday of course :p

Don't remind me. 2 presentations, an osce, clinical skills exam as well as 02 mcq(most of 4th year failed it last year) in the week 30 won't be fun. As well as lab reports which take hours to do and you pretty much run out of study time. That month will be a godsend.

I don't envy your year though. Sweet Jesus that was tough last year. Poor Abdul has it all to look forward too next year!

lol what can i say guys, im truly depressed now :'( . But come on pharmacy is worth it isnt it :p

lol what can i say guys, im truly depressed now :'( . But come on pharmacy is worth it isnt it :p
    Well second year is really tough but third year is handy enough subject matter wise. 4th year is meant to be alright as well. Basically they say if you get through the first 2 years, you'll fly through the next 2!
    And employment prospects are fairly decent as well. In the long run it's worth it as you can do basically anything with it.

Scortho wrote: »
    I don't envy your year though. Sweet Jesus that was tough last year. Poor Abdul has it all to look forward too next year!
    >_>

A month of fun awaits.
    Well you'll know how to treat the depression anyway :pac:
    And employment prospects are fairly decent as well. In the long run it's worth it as you can do basically anything with it.
    From working in your local community pharmacy to working in Industry to being the next Walter White

hi guys,
    would u say a guy that spent the whole year either outside or playing games and not caring about study at all,missed most of joe hogans 1005 maths lectures and most of physiology lectures.But is willing to start studying now,would he have a chance of passing the year :D

hi guys,
    would u say a guy that spent the whole year either outside or playing games and not caring about study at all, missed most of joe hogans 1005 maths lectures and most of physiology lectures.But is willing to start studying now,would he have a chance of passing the year :D
    Yes and a very good chance too if you start now.

Prep your notes during March, study during April. That's the idea.

As an aside, missing Hogan's 05 lectures has little to no ill effect. The exam is basically LC HL Maths [the old course] with a slightly more advanced matrices and exponential growth question. Just do a few past papers and you'll be fine.

For physiology, get cracking now. Not only do you need the slides but you need to do some reading from Stanfield's Physiology. You won't need to read the whole book, just read whatever was suggested in the Physiology handbook.

Yes and a very good chance too if you start now.

Prep your notes during March, study during April. That's the idea.

As an aside, missing Hogan's 05 lectures has little to no ill effect. The exam is basically LC HL Maths [the old course] with a slightly more advanced matrices and exponential growth question. Just do a few past papers and you'll be fine.

For physiology, get cracking now. Not only do you need the slides but you need to do some reading from Stanfield's Physiology. You won't need to read the whole book, just read whatever was suggested in the Physiology handbook.

I passed using just the slides.....the mcq answers floating around beforehand were a life saviour.

Abdul i told you to start three weeks ago. being in trinity in late august aint fun. trust me I know!:rolleyes:
    Anyhow I sent JeaicMag the physiology mcq's which he was meant to send around to the rest of yee, along with the biochem ones. If you dont have them pm me and I'll see what I can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

MCQs are on the facebook page :D To find them easy just click the "Files" tab

Advertisement