Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

M.S.C in Management Information Systems

• 21-07-2009 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, I thought i may give this a go on boards, has anyone done or is currently doing this course, i am 11 years in IT, just finished my primary degree in IT, but want to do a Masters in Information Systems area, just wondering about lectures etc, i have contacted their admin office, but ideally would like to have a chat or meet someone in person.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

I have been accepted on the course and I am in two minds whether to do it or not. As far as I know lectures happen two nights a week Monday and Tuesday 6pm - 9pm.

You can find quite a bit of information on the course here:

http://www.scss.tcd.ie/postgraduate/mscmis/current/course-outline.php

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Try1ng

I've just finished the first year of it.
    It is a Monday and Tuesday evening, a lot of assignments which are all group work, the lectures are ok, some better than others and at times you might think your taking nothing in but at the end you'll realise you've learned a lot.

I found the open book exams easier than the exams for BSc in Inf Systems in TCD.
    The fees have been reduced this year to just over €4k.

44 people were listed for the exams but I think we only had about 47 - 40 max in the class.

Would i do it again, yes but it really is missing some business modules, although that might be just round the corner in September.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Best of luck if you do decide to go for it or another course.

Thanks for the info.

Some of the topics look a bit fluffy to me and don't look very business orientated, I am not sure how much benefit I will get from the course hence the uncertainty if I will do it or not.

The is no real business subjects - it depends what you want to get out of the course.
    You do get a good appreciation of the differing roles from a IT supplier and IT customer point of view.
    A lot of time is spend on strategy and dealing with other CxOs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 masterj

Would agree with the above - I found the course to be lacking in business knowledge which was one of the main reasons I decided to do it. Found at the end of it I had not really learned much I could not have figured out through reading myself / discussions with others.

There is alot of talk about how this course prepares you to be a CIO but really it is missing a ton of stuff you would require. Just one small example - financial management, if you are a tecchie looking to learn more about this and how it relates to IT forget it.

Personally I also found there was too much group work and as usual in those situations - the same people keep doing the lions share of the work. At times it felt like you would be better just sitting in the pub with a group of your friends discussing a topic - since that is really how the group work was, learning from your team members.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭jamiecake

hi there... i too have just been accepted and am just trying to source funding..

i chose the course, as the modules seem to be laid out alright, compared to others masters where it looked as if i would be swallowed...

monday and tuesdays will be a pain.. but least they are out of way..

does anyone know how much time the group projects take up? like, i assume its after class times etc?

jamiecake wrote: »
    hi there... i too have just been accepted and am just trying to source funding..

i chose the course, as the modules seem to be laid out alright, compared to others masters where it looked as if i would be swallowed...

monday and tuesdays will be a pain.. but least they are out of way..

does anyone know how much time the group projects take up? like, i assume its after class times etc?

Group work isn't that hard but could take up about 12-20 hours each depending on the assignment. You will get time to do some of the group work during class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

Has anyone attended this course in recent times, whats your thoughts?

Whats the Assignment/Continuous Assessment / Exam Structure

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Would love to hear some feedback from previous students too.
    The last comments from students here are about 6 years old now, how did more recent students feel the course was?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
Advertisement