Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Is trinity really snobby?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

idek1 wrote: »
    does anyone know how to delete this thread? thanks

Probably send a PM to a mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭idek1

Probably send a PM to a mod.

aw damn, i just feel the thread is off topic. i didnt mean for it to come across as slating the students of trinity and i just feel the thread turned into something else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

aw damn, i just feel the thread is off topic. i didnt mean for it to come across as slating the students of trinity and i just feel the thread turned into something else

It derailed a bit, but I don't think anyone was terribly offended by anything said here. Most trinity students that I know, including myself, take all the 'trinners for winners' stuff as a bit of banter from students elsewhere. There's an element of truth to it, but there's people like that in every college in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Don't worry, this question comes up every year. People are responding to the general stereotype, not anything in particular you said.

But no, you wouldn't get treated badly by anyone if you went there :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

By asking the question you were probably doing lots of others a favour who would like to know the same thing so hopefully the thread will have helped others with similar concerns and don't worry about it straying a bit - there's few threads anywhere on boards.ie that don't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Echo_Symphony

As a country student from a modest background I would disagree that Trinity is snobby, for the most part. There always will be some, like everywhere else in the world. The majority of my peers would have gone to private schools/be from a more privileged background, but the majority are very nice and I've never felt looked down on or anything, or had wealth flaunted in my face. There are a very large proportion of Macs and iPhones around compared to what I hear from my brother, who is at a different college. And nobody really cares where you went to school after the first semester of first year is over! It's funny; my parents were against my going to Trinity for the same reason as your dad - my mum advised me to go to a different, nearer college to be with "people of my own kind". This would be a classic example of the reverse snobbery that somebody mentioned above! The best advice I got was from a friend's mum - she simply said to never feel inferior just because I had less money (or superior either, mind). As I see it, at some point we have to dissociate ourselves somewhat and carve out our own - and with the same degree we'll be on rather equal footing coming out! This really is something I feel very strongly about, so sorry for rambling on! I'm from the Hamilton end if that makes a difference, but it probably doesn't. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I believe the student union president is a wan from balllyfermot or someplace like that who i believe had a kid by the time she was only 16 so that shows that it ain't that snobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭idek1

i agree about the reverse snobbery, but i think its because noone from my family has actually gone to college therefore can't judge. I'm also a culchie so thats why he was worried. I applied for nursing in the end but its like 6th on my list due to my preference to attend a closer college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I believe the student union president is a wan from balllyfermot or someplace like that who i believe had a kid by the time she was only 16 so that shows that it ain't that snobby.

She is from Tallaght, she has done some amazing stuff already in the addictions field, as in helping create a centre to help people get off drugs and others to not go there in the first place. And yep she is far from what you might a Trinity student to be, she is also a mom of two and a hard worker and very giving to all students. She aka Lynn won the position by quite a margin too which must reflect the student population.
    Personally I thinnk you'd like Trinity if you entered with a good attitude and if might be good for you to be away from parents and be somewhere a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NaHaw

I was in exactly the same position that you were in just before I started out, expecting to run into a bunch if elitist snobs after being told that was what I was going to get. It didn't help that I'm from a poor background, (100% grant background) and had no friends, relatives, etc, who went to college. Luckily, that wasn't what I got at all, particularly given that I was in one of the smaller niche courses that seem to get a lot of more private school kids, and, being so distant from it, I was only able to guess with most of them once they told me! (Clearly I'm not from Dublin!:)) The nicest people I've ever met I met at Trinity, many of them from the sort of affluent private school sort of background.
    Of course, a lot of them are quite clicky compared to other students, but most of them are open and friendly to other people, particularly if they're on your course/in your society. I'm also quite an introvert, but they were neither off putting nor unfriendly/elitist enough for me not to be good friends with many of them.
    I'm not saying that you won't run into the sort who are like that, however. You do get people like that around campus, and I think it is also reasonable to say that you probably get it more at trinity. Thankfully though, their number is relatively insignificant and they all tend to stick together, if only because they're the only type that can tolerate their company:)
    Also, just to make sure I'm not leaving you with an image of trinity full of rich kids, most of the people I know and spend my time with are from a normal, everyday background you'd see on any other campus. Don't think you'll be the only person you'd ever be able to relate to on campus, you'll find tonnes of people who share your background/interests/other identifying character traits you'd look for, all over campus, and when you do, I'm sure that you, like me, will be happy you applied to Trinity:) (Also, best of luck if you have done, or if someone else is reading this, will do!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭cbreeze

does anyone know how to delete this thread? thanks

oh please, please - do it!! never met a snobby trinity person in my life!!

Advertisement