Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

TR072 Pharmacy

1171819202123»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

PH4002 this year was

Q1: Solid decomposition with a shocker of a calculation (actually easy but people had the impression calculations wouldn't be asked) worth 7/20 marks that threw a lot of people off.
    Q2: Not great QSAR two parter and NH acidic compounds
    Q3: AZT and Lamivudine, Saquinavir
    Q4: Cyclophosphamide and doxorubicin
    Q5: ICH: Limitations of the arrhenius equations and extrapolation... for a full 20 marks :eek:

Q1, 2 and 5 very much not to people's tastes. I thought I was going to fail when I saw Quigley's two opening questions until I calmed down and tried to invent a way to do the calculation (which miraculously worked...)

I'm not sure I like the new PH4009 exam... MCQs were not anywhere near as easy as the samples he gave us. But nonetheless, exam went reasonably well.

Jesus 02 sounds horribe. Cant believe Sasse would ask a full question on the Arhenius Equation. There's only two slides max and its far far too specific. Quigley is a little strange. His calculations were never worth more than 5 marks. Externs must've pressed him for a change. Meegan seems pretty fine.

What came up in 09 for the essays? MCQs are never fun. All set for Elbe Day (4011)?

Ive two exams on Strategic Issues in Health Informatics (yeah that is actually .... something) and EBM for ICT. Least there's no MCQs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It was manageable... though not the nicest question by Sasse, especially considering Quigley's unusual question.

Depression case study multi-part question... quite reasonable.
    Mechanisms/sides of antipsychotics
    Pharmacological strategies for Parkinson's disease
    Mechanism of action and factors that must be considered when using opiates in analgesia

Reasonable selection of essays. 2-3 MCQs were based on material not covered in the course which was a bit unfair, especially considering they're worth 2% each.

Accepted my offer exactly twelve hours ago. Can't wait to get started.

Any one else starting Pharmacy this September?

Four years on, safe to say I had good reason to be excited. Started and finished a different person with quite the unreal journey in between. ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Four years on, safe to say I had good reason to be excited. Started and finished a different person with quite the unreal journey in between. ☺

Ive searched all week for your "challenge accepted" post but i don't seem to be able to find it :mad:

Ive searched all week for your "challenge accepted" post but i don't seem to be able to find it :mad:
    Probably because it wasn't my post :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭leesadin

Just wondering what date does the pharmacy course start for 1st years?

• leesadin wrote: »
    Just wondering what date does the pharmacy course start for 1st years?

28th September I think... You'd need to be around on the 23rd for a course meeting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭leesadin

Thanks so much... Also does anyone have a list of the books needed/used?? I'm hoping to go next September as a mature student so I think looking over some materials might help me. With being out of the education system for so long..

leesadin wrote: »
    Thanks so much... Also does anyone have a list of the books needed/used?? I'm hoping to go next September as a mature student so I think looking over some materials might help me. With being out of the education system for so long..
    Hart Craine's Organic Chemistry might be a good read. Then again, the first few weeks are always shocking because of the step up and the fact most people forget everything done in the LC over the summer :p

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Joe's fanclub

leesadin wrote: »

PM sent

• Advertisement

Accepted my offer exactly twelve hours ago. Can't wait to get started.

Any one else starting Pharmacy this September?
    #nostalgia

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Red96

Hi, I accepted my offer for Pharmacy on Monday morning, and im really excited ! :D

Does anyone have any tips etc for the first few weeks? What to expect and whatnot.. Cheers

• Red96 wrote: »
    Hi, I accepted my offer for Pharmacy on Monday morning, and im really excited ! :D

Does anyone have any tips etc for the first few weeks? What to expect and whatnot.. Cheers

Listen to your Student2Student mentors (which I may be yours) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Red96

Listen to your Student2Student mentors (which I may be yours) :p

I definitely will listen and take all advice ! :p
    Should i do anything before college starts? Prep anything or whatnot.. Eager to get started lol :p

• Red96 wrote: »
    I definitely will listen and take all advice ! :p
    Should i do anything before college starts? Prep anything or whatnot.. Eager to get started lol :p

I wouldn't say there's any need to at all - enjoy the rest of your summer as you'll have enough lectures to keep you busy once you start :p

Red96 wrote: »

Dr quigleys lectures confuse the feck out of everyone so don't worry if you're confused.

Start studying physiology after the first lecture

Become friends with a good note taker who is willing to exchange notes for drinks

Pay attention in John Walsh's lectures or he will make a fool of you

Don't buy every book that is recommended. I'd have a large library had I done that. Instead the physiology book, hart crane Hart, and audens ceutics at a push.

Download a good game on your phone (well many good games) because it's the only way to keep you sane

Go to all dupsa events (free wine to keep you sane)

Finally enjoy it. You'll spend every college day of the next four years with the same 60 or so people. These will become your friends for life.

Oh and if you are struggling, look for help of the lecturers. They'll give you it (once you make the effort). Remember they don't want to be correcting repeats in September and you certainly dont want to be doing them At the end of August....trinitys library in August is not a fun place to be

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ciara18

Anyone have an opinion on the career prospects for newly qualified pharmacists going forward? Is it still a good career choice employment-wise?

ciara18 wrote: »
    Anyone have an opinion on the career prospects for newly qualified pharmacists going forward? Is it still a good career choice employment-wise?

If you're a good pharmacist, you'll have more work than days of the week
    Also grades don't seem to matter, thankfully :)
    Out of my group if friends, all are employed across the board of community, hospital, industry and regulatory. There are four who are doing PhD's
    Locum pharmacists are in such shortage that they're bringing them over from Spain and they can't even speak English

Advertisement