Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Does TCD Offer Free Language Courses For Students?

• 15-07-2015 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi. In the next academic year, I'll be doing a postgrad degree in Trinity. Does the college offer free (non-English) language courses for students? I ask because at my previous college there was this arrangement (though you did have to pay a deposit) and I understand it's reasonably common.

It's not a big deal if Trinity doesn't, really I was just trying to decide if I should join a class on my own now or wait until September/October and potentially save a bit of money.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

Here. Think they're only for undergrads, though. The various state-funded cultural bodies - Goethe Institut, Alliance Francaise, etc - offer cheapish classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

It says here that postgrads can apply and will be offered positions if the course isnt over suscribed. Pity, the one I would like to do is the same time as my evening lectures, maybe next year...

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

Supercell wrote: »
    It says here that postgrads can apply and will be offered positions if the course isnt over suscribed. Pity, the one I would like to do is the same time as my evening lectures, maybe next year...

I've been told that the courses fill up super quickly, so wouldn't bank on that.

I did one of the two German classes; there were about fifteen in the class. Are there ten or so classes in total? A measly offering for a college population of 16,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

DU Modern Languages Society runs brilliant language classes weekly for Beginners/Intermediate/Advanced in a ton of languages. You only have to pay the initial joining fee I believe like any other society!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

I've done both a CLCS language module and one run by the Modern Languages society. The ones one by Modern Languages were much better in my opinion. You do have to pay for them but they're very reasonable - I did a German class in 1st year and it was something like €50 for both terms, with weekly classes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement