Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

whilst checking in online with ryanair yesterday I was charged 40eur for the privilege of picking my seats - I'm only bringing carry on luggage and probably wearing half of it - I thought I'd bring a pot to pee in just in case it's a tenner to use the loo!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,478 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Daylight robbery. I'd p*ss on their seat before i'd pay to use the toilet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

it's not possible to add a bag for one leg only on a return flight

That's what I would have thought!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Brotha Noomzy

Boarding a flight to Italy and the steward asked me to put my bag into one of those boxes in which if it doesn't fit then you have to pay extra. I slammed the bag in but when I took it out he got out a measuring tape and told me it was still too big, I mean what was the point?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Get Real

Pretzill wrote: »
    whilst checking in online with ryanair yesterday I was charged 40eur for the privilege of picking my seats - I'm only bringing carry on luggage and probably wearing half of it - I thought I'd bring a pot to pee in just in case it's a tenner to use the loo!

Then why did you pick the seats? And if you had to for a specific reason then I apologise. But then the whole jab at them about the loo, if you find Ryanair bad then just don't fly with them.

Nothing personal, just I can't stand Ryanair beaters. People who fly Ryanair, continue to fly Ryanair and yet always complain about them.

We all know its a no frills airline, we expect to be charged for extras. I've flown numerous times with them, they provide me with a service, I know there'll be charges, and avoid them where I can, nothing bad to say about them.

Fly Aer Lingus or with another airline next time. Or perhaps, despite all the charges, the advertising, pop ups prompting you to pay for extras, they're still cheaper than their competitors, which negates any need to complain in the first place...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭hargo

All flights on Ryanair are one way or are treated as such by Ryanair When booking in a bag on Ryanair site it will give you the option to book the bag on outward or inward. The problem is when you leave that page your receipt doesn't show which leg of the journey you booked your bag for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Get Real wrote: »
    Then why did you pick the seats? And if you had to for a specific reason then I apologise. But then the whole jab at them about the loo, if you find Ryanair bad then just don't fly with them.

Nothing personal, just I can't stand Ryanair beaters. People who fly Ryanair, continue to fly Ryanair and yet always complain about them.

We all know its a no frills airline, we expect to be charged for extras. I've flown numerous times with them, they provide me with a service, I know there'll be charges, and avoid them where I can, nothing bad to say about them.

Fly Aer Lingus or with another airline next time. Or perhaps, despite all the charges, the advertising, pop ups prompting you to pay for extras, they're still cheaper than their competitors, which negates any need to complain in the first place...?

Well good for you! I have never flown with them before did'nt realise I had to pay until I'd chosen my seats after being prompted to without any explanation that they would charge me to pick them, in innocence I thought reserved seats were included in the price of the flight. But perhaps they expected me to stowaway in the hold (No that would'nt work my 50kg would set me over the baggage allowance. I'm no hater. I'm just a once off Ryanair flyer who added an opinion. Forgive me for for offending your principles of service. (You won't charge me will you?) I'll reserve my judgement on the critical part of the service eg: a safe flight, until I land.

For the rookie Ryanair booker their website is full of traps - once I get to where I'm going and back in one piece and for the quoted fares that'll do me. Yeah Aer Lingus are a better option for me, so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭number66

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Google Ryanair and see what other passengers think of the airline, then have a look at their passenger numbers.
    People give out about Ryanair but make no mistake, it is a very profitable airline, you get what you pay for, end of story.
    No frills, no extras for little cost, that's why so many people use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Your check in printout should have on it that a 20kg bag was included and this should be on both legs, it's not possible to add a bag for one leg only on a return flight, was this displayed on it?

^ ^ This

More or less certain you can only book the bags return if you book a return flight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

it's not possible to add a bag for one leg only on a return flight, was this displayed on it?

I've checked a bag in a few times just for the return journey.
    I've gone to the UK shopping and put an empty holdall in my hand luggage , filled it up and put it through coming home.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

scudzilla wrote: »
    ^ ^ This

More or less certain you can only book the bags return if you book a return flight

I don't think so, although I'm open to correction on it..... I booked a return flight a few months ago, and was appalled to find it was 25 quid for a checked in bag.... was twice as appalled (with interest!) to find it was actually 50 quid for the two legs of the trip :eek:

I'm pretty sure I had to individually book the bag on both ways.

ETA - in fact I'm even more sure of it now I think of it, I was going to book a return flight to Scotland, with a bag only on the return leg (boat going up there had my bag on board!) - that was definitely possible, but in the end an Aer Lingus flight's times suited better so I did separate airlines for each leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Karen23 wrote: »
    I've checked a bag in a few times just for the return journey.
    I've gone to the UK shopping and put an empty holdall in my hand luggage , filled it up and put it through coming home.

Very true. Also many Ryanair passengers bought cheap holiday homes because of the inexpensive flights and while they travel multiple times per year bring a heavy suitcase each way once a year with only minimal luggage at other times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

i just did a test booking and was charged 50euro for a checked 20kg bag, on the breakdown on the right it was 25euro per flight, couldn't see an option of only booking 1 way

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

^ ^ This

If you book a return flight, and want to add a bag, you MUST book the bag return.

HOWEVER, if you book a return flight with no bags and complete and pay for that booking, but then go back to add a bag at a later stage before checking in, then you have the option of adding the bag for the complete journey or either leg (outbound or inbound).

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

Daylight robbery. I'd p*ss on their seat before i'd pay to use the toilet too.

that's what the guy who traveled before you said

i just did a test booking and was charged 50euro for a checked 20kg bag, on the breakdown on the right it was 25euro per flight, couldn't see an option of only booking 1 way

Well that's what I paid and I was sure it was both ways until they stopped me in the airport on the way back.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    Well that's what I paid and I was sure it was both ways until they stopped me in the airport on the way back.

Didn't it say 1 bag on your boarding pass?

Oryx wrote: »
    Didn't it say 1 bag on your boarding pass?

I don't have my boarding pass any more so I don't know....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

number66 wrote: »

ha ha ... very good.

Yeah, I don't like the Ryanair booking process at all. There are tons of choices, drop-down lists, pop-ups and so on, far far more than any other airlines I've booked with.
    I've only flown with them when flying with a group of friends on very short, hand-luggage only flights. Other than that, I don't fly with them any more on principle now. I much prefer AerLingus, though they've now also started charging for luggage.
    As Get Real said, it's what one would expect to get from them; so no point being disappointed when using them as the "service" and charges are as expected of them anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I reckon Ryanair will get pulled up one of these days on their booking process - there are *far* too many pop ups and diversions and some of the questions are phrased pretty much to confuse you and get you to spend money without realising. This is no different to the "Readers Digest" sort of things of old - sign up for this free thing and you find you also managed to manage to commit to a years supply of something else.

Their insurance question in particular annoys me - I can't remember the exact phrase but I think it asks you what country you are from. Someone normal might answer "Ireland" and not realise that what they were actually asking you was "What country are you from so that we can sell you insurance you don't need and not tell you explicitly"

Don't get me started on their "you must specifically tell us that you don't want to buy luggage, even though you are here to buy a flight and not luggage" section. I don't want (to buy) luggage. It's no more a core part of an airline booking than asking if you want to buy a new jumper, or a car, or have your house painted. Having luggage carried on the flight - for sure. Buying luggage - not so much.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

zagmund wrote: »
    I reckon Ryanair will get pulled up one of these days on their booking process - there are *far* too many pop ups and diversions and some of the questions are phrased pretty much to confuse you and get you to spend money without realising. This is no different to the "Readers Digest" sort of things of old - sign up for this free thing and you find you also managed to manage to commit to a years supply of something else.
    I'd imagine they are within the letter of the law - if not the spirit of it - with this. Used to annoy me - and can see why it would annoy anyone that has not used the site that often. However, got it down now - just keep looking at the sub-total at the end. If stuff is getting added on, scrutinise each option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I'm an infrequent user of Ryanair but have never been caught for extra charges. It's simple. Don't rush, read everything carefully and look for an opt out option, it's always there, though sometimes you have to do a little searching.

I would have thought it's well known that Ryanair don't do allocated seating for the most part, the scrum/rush/queue for seats is infamous at this stage. And so I would expect to pay for a service that's not part of the basic package such as a reserved seat. Once again, the charge information is there, if you take the time to investigate it.

On the OP's question, I've always had to add baggage both ways if selected at time of booking. If you do it through "manage my booking" the option is there to add it to one flight or both. It's not at all unusual that someone would have more baggage one way but not the other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 twinklediamond

To anybody whining about Ryanair and their policies. Don't fly with them, it's that simple. Even Michael O'Leary has said if you don't like our policies don't fly with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Alrighty then; Thread re-opened. Posts were deleted & Posters were contacted by me on their behaviour in here!

Only helpful & polite posts from here on out on this subject!

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

So it's €50 to bring a musical instrument, per flight. I'm just bringing one back and I get this confusion: http://i.imgur.com/ZCuAwgU.png

Basically I've paid €92 for my flight already. It says the outstanding amount is €50, but then it says the total amount that will be charged to my card is €192.

So on the one hand it knows it's only for the return flight, and on the other it thinks I'm also taking it on the first flight (which I've already taken).

My question is which one do ye reckon it's charging?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    It looks like they're charging for taking it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    So it's €50 to bring a musical instrument, per flight. I'm just bringing one back and I get this confusion: http://i.imgur.com/ZCuAwgU.png

Basically I've paid €92 for my flight already. It says the outstanding amount is €50, but then it says the total amount that will be charged to my card is €192.

So on the one hand it knows it's only for the return flight, and on the other it thinks I'm also taking it on the first flight (which I've already taken).

They are charging you 50 as thats the amount outstanding. Its one way 1 X musical instrument. The other charges are all 2X or both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

It says balance of 50 so BrokenMan's explanation that it's only a one-way charge makes sense.

I'm confused though as to why the right pane summary looks like 50 charge going out and 50 coming back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭clumsyklutz

Hi all

Just wondering if anybody could help me out, I need to bring a suitcase on a Ryanair flight, does anybody know what kind of costs they're looking for, for September?

Granted I booked the flights before the fees went up, would this make a difference?

Advertisement