Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Levelling via questing

• 29-07-2014 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm looking to roll an alt to level through each zone before moving on to the next. Mainly because I've little to no interest in raiding at the moment, so would like something to occupy my time.

My only problem is I can't decide on what class to level with. I'm thinking of switching over to something melee like a Rogue, Warrior or Feral Druid. Any advice?

I doubt it'll make much difference given how easy the game is at this stage, but something that can handle itself is what I'm aiming for.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

From what i gathered recently, you can pretty much faceroll though quests with any character. Get yourself a pet class and you can probably faceroll Group quests as well. I remember being able to kill just about anything with a Hunter or Warlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Do group quests exist any more? Well aside from Outland and Northrend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Do group quests exist any more? Well aside from Outland and Northrend

Nope they got removed in cata. Theres no hard to kill quest mobs anymore so pick what ever class you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

shockwave wrote: »
    Nope they got removed in cata. Theres no hard to kill quest mobs anymore so pick what ever class you want.

That's a terrible shame. Decided on a Troll Rogue, only the cross-realm server was broken, so I couldn't actually create a Troll. Will try again on Friday. Might go with a Hunter instead of a rogue, just because of the pet.

I always found the Hunter a bit too boring. Send in pet, shoot. Rogue at least has some variation to it, and stealth is great fun.

As for removing Group quests...trust Blizzard to remove the group aspect of an MMO :pac:

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    I always found the Hunter a bit too boring. Send in pet, shoot. Rogue at least has some variation to it, and stealth is great fun.

As for removing Group quests...trust Blizzard to remove the group aspect of an MMO :pac:

Yeah, having played Warlock since TBC I'm a tad used to having a pet by my side at this stage!

I've always kinda' wanted a rogue. Might do DPS Warrior instead. Leaning towards Rogue at the moment though. It's a shame that the questing element of WoW is dying down.

It's pretty much level to 15. Use Dungeon Finder until 90. Use Raid finder to get better DPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,246 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

DPS warrior and Combat rogue are so much fun to level, I actually had more fun levelling them than when I hit 90.

I'm torn between the two of them really. I'm looking forward to just questing about though. I haven't even found a guild since Heresy quit WoW that has made me want to raid at endgame. The idea of queuing in LFR for welfare epics and achievements is one that does not sit well with me.

Random question while levelling...can you send Heirlooms across servers now?

I didn't think you could, but i saw a mention of it on another forum. Can't check it myself in work atm.

Yes you can. You mail it to <char name>-<server name> i.e. MagicIRL-Tarren Mill

I've already packed in questing. I forgot just how boring the vast majority of them are. Mother of God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

level in dungeons. its so fast

miece16 wrote: »
    level in dungeons. its so fast

I am, and have done for a long time now, but part of me wanted to see all the zones and experience the lore. I had planned on reading the quest texts through, but I couldn't even get out of the starter area before I lost interest.

The days of reading quests in MMOs are well and truly over imo. I think I got to 15ish via Mulgore and Northern Barrens and just had to stop questing for my own sanity. Now I'm healing LFG and only going slightly mad! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

For those thinking on huntard, I've leveled mine to 90 and geared up with timeless isle since I've been back.
    Honestly, I wish I didn't choose the hunter. Easiest class to play by far but man, it does get boring at times.

The only difficulty I've had while leveling was during 85-90 taking on Panda rare elites. Once they start that bloody spinning kick your pet gets owned. It's just a matter of controlling your pet to run away when it starts but I just wasn't arsed at that point :P

I wish I had picked a different char to level as doing the grind again (not that it took very long) is a bit boring. I'm currently doing a DK (lvl 61) instead.

As for what is quickest. I found a mix of both goes a long way. 1-60, dungeons give mega xp with their quests included. If you have done the quests, it's still great xp and if you have a good group, you really fly through it.

60-80 (85) I found groups to be really lacking and questing to be extremely quick. Especially 60-70. Did Hellfire, Nagrand and a few in Netherstorm and was 70.

70-80 was mostly quests as again, dungeons we're lacking. BT -> DB -> a couple in SP and done.

80-85 - Just do Hyjal, Uldum and a few instances and you'll be done in no time.

85-89... mix. 89-90. Dungeons all the way. That last level was a killer for me questing. I joined an instance for a break and the group was insane. Huge pulls, quick kills and insta rejoins when the last boss was down. We ran this for a while and had that last level knocked out for the entire party in no time. Best leveling experience I've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Noxin what spec did you play as, surprised it is boring as I find mine allot of fun and very versatile. Can do everything from old raid content to pvp and current content but I play a mix of MM (pvp/old content) and survival ( current state pve).

Also questing is normally better 89-90 because as unless you have quests for the dungeons or rested so you get more from questing. The exemption or maybe the norms is even timeless isle gear out gears hc's, so if you have a raider getting valor your looking at one player doing more dps than remaining combined.

Also another fast way to level 85-90 is to go timeless isle and have someone kill stuff you tag or alternatively if your a DK go blood and capture one of the pandas in PI jiu village, he can be your dps.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Noxin what spec did you play as, surprised it is boring as I find mine allot of fun and very versatile. Can do everything from old raid content to pvp and current content but I play a mix of MM (pvp/old content) and survival ( current state pve).

Also questing is normally better 89-90 because as unless you have quests for the dungeons or rested so you get more from questing. The exemption or maybe the norms is even timeless isle gear out gears hc's, so if you have a raider getting valor your looking at one player doing more dps than remaining combined.

Also another fast way to level 85-90 is to go timeless isle and have someone kill stuff you tag or alternatively if your a DK go blood and capture one of the pandas in PI jiu village, he can be your dps.

I leveled mostly as BM but instanced as Surv. I'm just not sure hunter life suits me. I still play him. Something about it seems lacking to me though. I've not done any pvp on him as I'm saving that for my rogue when I get my free character after buying WOD. Old content - Yea I wanna do some of this alright and no doubt, huntard will have an easy time. But then again, so will a blood DK. Heck I've seen a blood DK come in and take on the celestials solo before. And he was doing fine throughout. :eek:

Noxin wrote: »
    I leveled mostly as BM but instanced as Surv. I'm just not sure hunter life suits me. I still play him. Something about it seems lacking to me though. I've not done any pvp on him as I'm saving that for my rogue when I get my free character after buying WOD. Old content - Yea I wanna do some of this alright and no doubt, huntard will have an easy time. But then again, so will a blood DK. Heck I've seen a blood DK come in and take on the celestials solo before. And he was doing fine throughout. :eek:

Hunter is good for solo content, I have done all reputation quests for pandaria got all mounts ect, I can nearly solo ulduar 25 man with zero help from aspect things the only reason I don't solo it is I am traditionally a healer so I'm kinda crappy dps. I also solo firelands alza rayzor ect, I know you can do it on other chars but it's enjoyable on the hunter.

I suppose for me the class brings decent dps in pve/p, and the whole pet collecting appeals to the pokemon catch them all I like to do. I also find played poorly you will notice a **** hunter and played well you can do great things, I once saved a normal gala kris fight by explosive shooting (Glyphed for explosion) one of the mobs that kill the Npc. Pvp is also fun as your self reliant and your a ranged class with some stealth, i don't know what it is but it's only range I like dps wise.

Agree on the blood dk, I am current leveling one to do the herald of the titans and I also wanna get shadowmourne. Bood dk's are the solo kings but hunter is close.

I found the hunter to be a bit boring when i levelled it a while ago. It's over a year at this stage, but it was just a case of sending the pet in, and shooting till he died. Rarely seemed like much else was going on. Rogue was probably my favourite for levelling, as stealth was great fun.

I'm going to level to 90 with a priest, as i've never really gotten far as a healer, and if i've time, might try get another class up.

Yah BM is boring, MM and SV are more hunter reliant.

I had a Hunter in Vanilla, but I haven't played him since then. I recently rolled a Hunter low alt to see how things had changed. I had no intention to level him, but I didn't enjoy it at all.

I'm not sure what I didn't like- Mana was now similar to Energy for Rogues and I had to choose between a melee weapon or ranged. I'm playing Restoration Druid at the moment and really enjoying the HoT playstyle. Granted, LFG dungeons are not difficult, but it's fun all the same.

Druids are nice, raided on a resto Druid during cata, they ain't bad but can be a tad boring pve. Pvp wise try are an offensive healer if they aren't cycloning interrupting ect they ain't doing their job so in ways they have a high skill cap.

• Advertisement

I miss my tree in PVP. Talk about unkillable...

This was some time ago so I guess maybe it has changed now but I honestly remember standing there in pvp, hotting myself up and spamming regular heals. At one point I had at least 5-6 different enemies on me and couldn't take me down.
    That was back before mana cap though. I guess you'd run out quick enough now .

I'm still only mid twenties but Druid Healer is hilarious. We're guild running (3/5) through each dungeon for the achievement and the guild challenges. The tank and myself just run and dot, rinse repeat. It's even to the point where I can both heal and DPS the tank and boss if I want to.

Enjoying the class, I must say. I'm a Tauren, and not too sure if I'll stay Tauren, but for now I am. It all depends on how I look in the new character models I think.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I'm still only mid twenties but Druid Healer is hilarious. We're guild running (3/5) through each dungeon for the achievement and the guild challenges. The tank and myself just run and dot, rinse repeat. It's even to the point where I can both heal and DPS the tank and boss if I want to.

Enjoying the class, I must say. I'm a Tauren, and not too sure if I'll stay Tauren, but for now I am. It all depends on how I look in the new character models I think.

Well the one thing i hate about druids is the classes on alliance side that can be druids have no shoes, like homeless bums. However saying that tauren > troll.

When starting out from scratch on a new realm, whats a good way of getting money early on? Rolled an Undead Warlock and i'm thinking i'll just take skinning and mining, but i'm open to suggestions. Not trying to make a huge amount, just enough to pay for bags and riding skills etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Mining and herbalism is usually good for some cash plus you get xp every time you mine or pick herbs.

Advertisement