Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reserves 1 in 10 leaving this year..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

carzony wrote: »
    130 resigned this year. Doesn't seem a huge figure to me?

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/one-10-garda-reserves-left-4669553

Love the way the GRA jump on the band wagon sure they only work 4hrs a week, what about all the others that work 30 or more hrs a week, reasons given for leaving personal, moving abroad, job, ........ more like let down by the park and all the porkies that went with it, PO powers its 12mts now since the upskilling took place, which at the time was forced upon the reserve members to do, if you dont do them you cant come in.

I do hope this new Policing Board can see what they have under there noses unlike what the park see ....... blank yellow jackets walking around and no appreciation for the time they give up freely to help an under resourced service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

carzony wrote: »
    130 resigned this year. Doesn't seem a huge figure to me?

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/one-10-garda-reserves-left-4669553

Considering the Reserve force is only 1300 I think, that's nearly 10%. Quite a large amount for a volunteer force. Maybe not been accepted is the most common reason for leaving. Full time staff would have issues taking you at part time when your with full powers, let alone free and no powers been blunt about it.

Also the GRA are lost in translation as usual, the recent report no where in it; stated it would be better employe 100 extra Garda at the expense of the Reserve force.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

If I remember right the figure of 10% wouldn't be out of line for special constables in the UK. It's a voluntary thing rather than a permanent career. People's lives/careers/priorities move on - not necessarily a major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

TallGlass wrote: »
    Considering the Reserve force is only 1300 I think, that's nearly 10%. Quite a large amount for a volunteer force. Maybe not been accepted is the most common reason for leaving. Full time staff would have issues taking you at part time when your with full powers, let alone free and no powers been blunt about it.

Also the GRA are lost in translation as usual, the recent report no where in it; stated it would be better employe 100 extra Garda at the expense of the Reserve force.

Typical of the GRA , where are they when members are in trouble or damning reports of AGA are published ...the silence is deafening. As a rep body they are a complete joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

tg123 wrote: »
    Typical of the GRA , where are they when members are in trouble or damning reports of AGA are published ...the silence is deafening. As a rep body they are a complete joke.

The GRA keep getting it wrong. If they were pro-active they probably would get much better results for their members. They keep hammering on about the reserve. If they actually looked at the bigger picture, and maybe took us under their wing, the Government & Management might engage properly with the GRA. They also might have a very different view of us and start using us properly.

One in ten is an average that has been around for a few years now of reserve retirements. I just wonder if they did give us PO powers and followed the suggestions of the inspectorate report how many would leave. I would say you could half it.

• Advertisement

Yogi Bear wrote: »
    The GRA keep getting it wrong. If they were pro-active they probably would get much better results for their members. They keep hammering on about the reserve. If they actually looked at the bigger picture, and maybe took us under their wing, the Government & Management might engage properly with the GRA. They also might have a very different view of us and start using us properly.

One in ten is an average that has been around for a few years now of reserve retirements. I just wonder if they did give us PO powers and followed the suggestions of the inspectorate report how many would leave. I would say you could half it.

Totally agree with you on this one. The next ten day s should tell a good story . Who will get the Commissioners job and if it will make a difference to the GR

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

tg123 wrote: »
    Totally agree with you on this one. The next ten day s should tell a good story . Who will get the Commissioners job and if it will make a difference to the GR

Nóirín O'Sullivan appointed Garda Commissioner

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1125/662449-noirin-osullivan-appointed-garda-commissioner/

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭JonathanP

Yogi Bear wrote: »

I am in one way really surprised by this after all the contraversy of late and all the talk about opening up the job to outsiders but on the other hand culture and politics mostly prevail

I dont Think the reserve will benefit much from this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Can't see there been any change with GRs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Can we bring Commissioner Fachtna Murphy back out of retirement. Now he had some mind and head on his shoulders! I'd start that campaign myself :)

Ah lookit, just ignore the GRA. Take what they say with a pinch of salt. It's the same auld line since the Garda Reserves were first established. It's a shame that they cannot face reality though in saying something positive about our Garda Reserves. It's a shame that the GRA have to constantly belittle the concept and say how they are speaking for the members, when their are some full-timers out there who are happy with the Garda Reserves, so obviously are not speaking for them.

They may decide some day to acknowledge the great work & commitment done to date! Until then, let them continue having a go at the one section of members in the organisation with no national representative.

Yeah, just easy targets for them to take a pop at,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

The GRA are muppets, and even most full time Gardai will admit this, when one considers that AGS are probably at least 20 years technologically behind most other Police Forces, it just goes to show what a useless union they are. You will generally hear the GRA giving out about pay or Reserves, but rarely will you hear them going on about the need for new technology, or better uniforms, like a lot of public organisations in this country, they are staffed by dyed in the wool people, who despise change. As regards the new Commissioner, after all the hype about the possibility of a commissioner from another Police Force being appointed, should we be surprised that the government have as per usual stuck with the status quo and appointed from within? I do actually like Noirin O'Sullivan, and always liked the fact that she had a son in the Reserve, however she is part of the system, and it's hard to see her actually making much of a difference either to Reserves, or to Policing in general.
    However what was even more laughable was that the government went through the charade of inviting applicants from abroad, when in reality the job could only ever have gone to an Irish person. By virtue of the fact that the Gardai also look after national security since we have no MI5/MI6, CIA etc, apparently a non Irish person cannot be in charge of national security, so it could only ever have gone to somebody from this country, i.e. Noirin O'Sullivan, so why bother with this whole charade?

I wish the New Commissioner the best of luck with the new role. We can all make judgements at the appointment but lets wait and judge her on what she does and not what we think she will not do. Lets give her the benefit of the doubt and see what changes happen in the first 6 months..
    Obviously the first change will be to fill all of the senior positions ( AC , DC etc) and with this I have no doubt that a Supt or Chief Supt will be assigned responsibility for the Reserve. This role has been vacant since Supt O'Connor retired over 3 years ago.

Guys lets just continue making our contribution and getting on with what's important ,he day today stuff. We are all hungry for change both full time and reserve alike and I'm sure that change will come. We have all done so much to change the attitudes towards the Reserve by doing what we do best ....helping our full time colleagues and ignoring
    those nay sayers who take every advantage to dis credit our commitment ,contribution and hard work.

The changes will come I have no doubt ........So keep the faith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

TallGlass wrote: »
    Considering the Reserve force is only 1300 I think, that's nearly 10%. Quite a large amount for a volunteer force.

Is it though? By their very nature any voluntary group finds it difficult to retain members. It is their greatest challenge.

It would be interesting to see when these people who are leaving actually joined the reserves. The average 'lifespan' of a volunteer in a voluntary organization is 3 to 4 years, they start to drop off rapidly thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

Is it though? By their very nature any voluntary group finds it difficult to retain members. It is their greatest challenge.

It would be interesting to see when these people who are leaving actually joined the reserves. The average 'lifespan' of a volunteer in a voluntary organization is 3 to 4 years, they start to drop off rapidly thereafter.

There is many reasons and not the one you have said above

1 Lack of support

2 Lack of direction

3 Lack of powers

4 Lack of integration

5 Left sitting around all night twiddling thumbs

5 Anti reserve management

6 Anti reserve FT

We could go on and on and on but i am sure you get the gist of it, what do you expect the person leaving is going to say, all the above or just leave and make things easy, or even better still let the people in the park fill the blanks in themselves which is most likely what happens anyways, as when a reserve resigns all he does is write a note to say he is leaving, after that the form gets white washed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I'm not saying that there aren't issues with the reserves. I am just pointing out that by their very nature volunteer forces tend to have a high rate of turnover.

Advertisement