Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland vs Barbarians Gloucester, 29 May NO TV, NO STREAMS.

• 20-05-2012 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭

Forwards (13):

Rory Best, Tom Court, Stephen Ferris, Declan Fitzpatrick, Chris Henry, Ronan Loughney, John Muldoon, Donncha O'Callaghan, Peter O'Mahony, Donnacha Ryan, Mike Sherry, Dan Tuohy, A.N.Other.

Backs (11):

Darren Cave, Keith Earls, Craig Gilroy, Paul Marshall, Conor Murray, Ronan O'Gara, Nevin Spence, Andrew Trimble, Paddy Wallace, Simon Zebo, A.N. Other.

Bit of a nothing game really but a good chance for some of the Ulster players wrongly overlooked in the past to show what they can do

I'd go with:

15 K Earls
    14 Andrew Trimble
    13 Darren Cave
    12 Paddy Wallace
    11 Craig Gilroy
    10 ROG
    9 Murray
    8 POM
    7 Henry
    6 Muldoon
    5 Touhy
    4 D Ryan
    3 Fitzpatrick
    2 Sherry
    1 Court

Best and Ferris deserve a rest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Maybe Loughney ahead of Court but the team really should pick itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I'd personally have Loughney ahead of Fitzpatrick at tighthead purely because i think he deserves it more. Loughney's been playing well at tighhead this season and put in a good shift considering he used to be a loosehead.
    I just feel a lot of the calls for Fitzpatrick to start are based on that one performance against Edinburgh (not that i don't think he should be in the 22 against the barbarians , i think he could be the answer to our problems at TH if he manages to get more gametime)

I'd also start Henry at 8 and O'Mahony at 7. I know Henry is probably the better 7 than POM and that he's been playing their all season, but i think Henry is more of an 8 that POM and has far more experience in that role, especially given the fact that theres not a whole lot between them at 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

There's very little to get exited about looking at that team. I'd prefer to pick the team I'd expect Kidney to pick rather than mine, in which case.

1. Court
    2. Best
    3. Fitzpatrick
    4. O'Callaghan
    5. Ryan
    6. Ferris
    7. O'Mahony
    8. Muldoon
    9. Murray
    10. O'Gara
    11. Zebo
    12. Wallace
    13. Earls
    14. Trimble
    15. Gilroy/Duffy

16. Sherry
    17. Loughney
    18. Tuohy
    19. Henry
    20. Marshall
    21. Madigan /Keatley
    22. Cave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Starting Ferris would be madness

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Blackheath

Hagz wrote: »
    There's very little to get exited about looking at that team. I'd prefer to pick the team I'd expect Kidney to pick rather than mine, in which case.

1. Court
    2. Best
    3. Fitzpatrick
    4. O'Callaghan
    5. Ryan
    6. Ferris
    7. O'Mahony
    8. Muldoon
    9. Murray
    10. O'Gara
    11. Zebo
    12. Wallace
    13. Earls
    14. Trimble
    15. Gilroy/Duffy

16. Sherry
    17. Loughney
    18. Tuohy
    19. Henry
    20. Marshall
    21. Madigan /Keatley
    22. Cave

Is Gilroy more worthy than Zebo

• Advertisement

Blackheath wrote: »

They both deserve a run tbh. Both still have a bit more developing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Starting Ferris would be madness

I hope somebody in the set up realises this. If he keeps playing like he is he won't make it to 30 as a professional rugby player.

Teferi wrote: »
    I hope somebody in the set up realises this. If he keeps playing like he is he won't make it to 30 as a professional rugby player.

He should be given the summer off. It's not like we're so stuck for 6's that we need to bring him

Blackheath wrote: »

Toss up really. That's why I'd expect Kidney to go with Zebo.

Hagz wrote: »

1. Court
    2. Best
    3. Fitzpatrick
    4. O'Callaghan
    5. Ryan
    6. Ferris
    7. O'Mahony
    8. Muldoon
    9. Murray
    10. O'Gara
    11. Zebo
    12. Wallace
    13. Earls
    14. Trimble
    15. Gilroy/Duffy

16. Sherry
    17. Loughney
    18. Tuohy
    19. Henry
    20. Marshall
    21. Madigan /Keatley
    22. Cave

Would even Kidney be foolish enough to pick that team? Honestly that would really be pushing it, even for him

• Advertisement

I think the fact that it's a glorified training game will make Kidney be a bit less conservative

I can't rattle off the team the last time we played the BaBaas but I think it was a bit experimental (by Kindey standards anyway)

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I can't rattle off the team the last time we played the BaBaas but I think it was a bit experimental (by Kindey standards anyway)
    1. Marcus Horan
    2. Sean Cronin
    3. Tony Buckley
    4. Ed O'Donoghue
    5. Dan Tuohy
    6. John Muldoon
    7. Niall Ronan
    8. Chris Henry
    9. Peter Stringer
    10. Ronan O'Gara
    11. Andrew Trimble
    12. Fergus McFadden
    13. Gavin Duffy
    14. Johne Murphy
    15. Rob Kearney

16. Jerry Flannery
    17. Tom Court
    18. Mick O'Driscoll
    19. Donnacha O'Callaghan
    20. David Wallce
    21. Tomas O'Leary
    22. Tommy Bowe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Would have to pluck for Loughney over Fitzpatrick at TH

Loughney's form is based around 3/4 months, Fitzpatrick 2 games.

Not saying Loughney is going to be the new TH on the block, just I think he deserves the opportunity more on the back of a good season to put his case forward

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Not saying Loughney is going to be the new TH on the block, just I think he deserves the opportunity more on the back of a good season to put his case forward
    For me Fitzpatrick if its about giving a TH other than Ross a shot and blooding a potential successor, or Loughney if its about giving a potential 17 a shot who could challenge Court for the shirt.

Fitzpatrick has always done well for Ulster (except when played at LH vs Treviso) and the only reason that its about his performances in 2 games is that he was injured.

I suppose it might be decided based on whether Kidney thinks 23 man squad law trial will mean 23 man squads for all future internationals. Both are very deserving of a shot though.

I would prefer Court on the bench and Fitz at TH, Loughney at LH, and Loughney can switch at some point. We know what Court can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

From another thread, Court is apparently out of the tour. That will mean Loughney at LH with Fitzpatrick at TH probably. Is Brett Wilkinson fit? I haven't heard a peep about him in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

Are there any other props available!?

There's an awful dread in me thinking that a certain M H might get a call back...

From another thread, Court is apparently out of the tour. That will mean Loughney at LH with Fitzpatrick at TH probably. Is Brett Wilkinson fit? I haven't heard a peep about him in a while.
    Wilkinson was injured for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Wilkinson is off on holidays, he was told he was surplus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

ROG shouldn't start, this is a great chance to start Madigan and look to the future instead of allowing ROG to fade away.

• Advertisement

I'm happy about Madigan not going, he was never going to get much gametime anyway, and he would be exposed Kidney's tactics. Staying with Schmidt will help his developement, and he will be rested for a full pre-season. The consistent gametime in the early season will be good for him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

ROG shouldn't start, this is a great chance to start Madigan and look to the future instead of allowing ROG to fade away.

As ROG will be going to NZ he needs to start. Since the QF against Ulster at the start of April he's only played 55 mins or so of rugby.

emmet02 wrote: »
    Are there any other props available!?

There's an awful dread in me thinking that a certain M H might get a call back...

Loughney at LH and Fitzpatrick at TH. At 50 minutes take off Fitzpatrick moving Loughney to TH and bring on Paddy MacAlister.

At least that would be my 3 props I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

I seem to recall Kidney saying at some stage that he wouldn't be picking players from any province(s) that were involved in the Rabo final (only Leinster, as it panned out) for this game, so that rules out Madigan for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

This is probably been asked already.. but do players earn caps against the Baabaas? I take it they don't?

.ak wrote: »
    This is probably been asked already.. but do players earn caps against the Baabaas? I take it they don't?

usually not but Wales is awarding caps fort their match against the babas this year, (to bring Williams to 100 afaik)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

Is Loughney really capable of covering both sides really well? I don't know him that well, but it's interesting to see a prop who can potentially do a good job both sides of the scrum!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I see Heinke van der Merwe has been added to the Baabaa's squad. Is that Leinster's HvDM?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Today @irfurugby tweeted:
    @Barbarian_FC have confirmed NO TV for Ireland game next week.We will bring you our O2 MatchDay Live service including updates #irishrugby

:mad:

• Advertisement

What the actual f*ck

Advertisement