Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max Payne 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

5uspect wrote: »
    I take it you've never played a Max Payne game before?
    Or possibly any game before 2003?
    I haven't, but I don't see why this game shouldn't be able to stand on its own merits.
    Why would you say that comment about playing a game before 2003? What point you getting at? Of course I have btw

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

mystic86 wrote: »
    I haven't, but I don't see why this game shouldn't be able to stand on its own merits.
    Why would you say that comment about playing a game before 2003? What point you getting at? Of course I have btw

Max Payne 3 is a very old school kind of game. It keeps true to the gameplay and style of the first two games. Like a lot of older games it isn't supposed to be easy, or forgiving. You can die instantly from a headshot and there should only be a chance of you surviving a last man standing. There is also no health regen.

One departure is the cutscenes and inserted text instead of graphic novel sections. Max as a fatalistic, cynical character drenched in noir is part of the series and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Max Payne 3 is a very old school kind of game. It keeps true to the gameplay and style of the first two games. Like a lot of older games it isn't supposed to be easy, or forgiving. You can die instantly from a headshot and there should only be a chance of you surviving a last man standing. There is also no health regen.

One departure is the cutscenes and inserted text instead of graphic novel sections. Max as a fatalistic, cynical character drenched in noir is part of the series and I wouldn't have it any other way.

In fairness I didn't complain about difficulty per se, I did complain about stuff around it such as having to watch cutscenes over and over etc.
    I didn't complain at all about lack of health regen.

You wouldn't have it any other way, and thats good for you.
    But I'm entitled to an opinion too, I think its a poor game.

sales have been low, for a rockstar release: https://mobile.twitter.com/michaelpachter/status/213435619043573760

Even though patcher is not someone I respect.

P.s. I only have this game as I got it as a present.

In fairness I didn't complain about difficulty per se, I did complain about stuff around it such as having to watch cutscenes over and over etc.
    I didn't complain at all about lack of health regen.

The cut scenes, in general, mask the long loading times. While not ideal it doesn't bother me as I enjoyed them. McCaffrey is excellent, I could listen to him all day.
    Spoilers if you haven't played MP2.

I mentioned the health regen because I wanted to emphasise the old school nature of the game, if you screw up you're doing it again. Quick saves would cheapen the experience in this game, I think. If anything it's more of a puzzle game than a typical gallery shooter. Figure out the pattern and you can empty a area with a few well placed headshots.

[/QUOTE]
    You wouldn't have it any other way, and thats good for you.
    But I'm entitled to an opinion too, I think its a poor game.
    [/QUOTE]

I never said you weren't, this is a discussion forum after all.
    sales have been low, for a rockstar release: https://mobile.twitter.com/michaelpachter/status/213435619043573760

Even though patcher is not someone I respect.

You see, for me that is not an indicator of a good game. Look as how many units CoD ships, and it's utter horse **** while many classics (like Psychonauts) initially shift low volumes.
    P.s. I only have this game as I got it as a present.

Well then it's probably better than being a disappointed Max Payne fan.
    Out of curiosity, if you find Max boring, what type of characters/stories interest you? Do you like noir? Are you interesting in trying the first two? You can pick them both up on a Steam sale for a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Doesn't look like there are many Crew members playing this online. I've top of the our leaderboard and I'm playing it online for just a couple of hours each week. Think it's safe to say there won't be much of a market for the Season Pass on this game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'd play it if I could find a game :pac:

Quick saves would cheapen the experience in this game, I think. If anything it's more of a puzzle game than a typical gallery shooter. Figure out the pattern and you can empty a area with a few well placed headshots.

Quick saves? Who is arguing against you?
    I have to disagree that it's more of a puzzle game!!! It's shooting guys after shooting guys after shooting guys.

You see, for me that is not an indicator of a good game.

I agree, was just an interesting tidbit.
    what type of characters/stories interest you? Do you like noir? Are you interesting in trying the first two? You can pick them both up on a Steam sale for a fiver.

Uncharted 2 is my favourite game.
    I like L.A. Noire, does that count? :)
    After this I have no interest at all in trying the first 2, none.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Have to say I loved this, probably my fav game this year, very enjoyable.

Gameplay is typical Max Payne, just shoot alot of people, the only difference is addition of the industry standard cover system. But the gameplay was satisfying. I liked the way you can kinda mess up shoot dooge jumps and crumple up against walls.

Unskippable, cutscenes didn't annoy me much, but I can imagine them being annoying on repeat play throughs. Cut scenes where quite good generally although you felt some where unnessecary. Also the cut scenes switching guns was kinda annoying.

The plot was kinda low key, with the reasons for Max's involvement in the plot is kinda silly. But at least it was a more down to earth plot than you get in most games where the fate of planet or the universe is at stake. Voice acting was great. Max himself was great. Loved some of his one lines and self loathing. The fact that he fails so often is kinda of refreshing from other hero characters.

Graphically was fantastic, playing on PC with high settings looked great. Very good presentation fromRrockstar and they put in a lot of effort on the PC version. Kudo's to them. Unfortantly the 3D mode is bugged currently. Was very stable as well but I had problems starting up the game and shutting it down. Once it was up and running and 3D was disabled (which was a pitty as it looked good) it ran fine.

I suppose as a friend mentioned, the one thing they could of done more with was the bullet time. Stranglehold had interesting bullet time features like running down stairscases and sliding across table (I think the character had a rocket up his butt in that game). Would of been nice to see more features like that.

Haven't bothered with multiplayer, but I enjoyed single player immensely. Well probably play through again in a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

This is one of the poorer games I've played in a good while. It was actually infuriating at times. How boring is the main character and his story, very very boring. My god the amount of cut-scenes in this game! Yawn! (normally love cut-scenes).

It's grand, not everyone 'gets' Max Mayne...just chalk it off & move on.

EnterNow wrote: »
    This is one of the poorer games I've played in a good while. It was actually infuriating at times. How boring is the main character and his story, very very boring. My god the amount of cut-scenes in this game! Yawn! (normally love cut-scenes).

It's grand, not everyone 'gets' Max Mayne...just chalk it off & move on.

Cheers, ya that's the plan. Needed to vent. I have dozens and dozens of unplayed games and not enough hours to play them, so thats another thing, regret of spending them playing Max payne 3 - but sure I wasn't to know I wouldn't like it till I tried. Anyway now I need to select/ prioritize carefully from my selection to bring back the joy of gaming for me in the next one I play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Cheers, ya that's the plan. Needed to vent. I have dozens and dozens of unplayed games and not enough hours to play them, so thats another thing, regret of spending them playing Max payne 3 - but sure I wasn't to know I wouldn't like it till I tried. Anyway now I need to select/ prioritize carefully from my selection to bring back the joy of gaming for me in the next one I play.

I loved it, but then again I'm a massive fan of the first two games & know the character inside out. I suppose coming into the series new, MP3 could bee seen as bland/generic/mundane...but it's not, & maybe thats because I already knew the backstory & character before starting. It could be, that Rockstar didn't develop the game enough for newcomers...I never thought of it till now, had too much fin with the game & was dying to see how it all played out for Max

EnterNow wrote: »

I loved it, but then again I'm a massive fan of the first two games & know the character inside out. I suppose coming into the series new, MP3 could bee seen as bland/generic/mundane...but it's not, & maybe thats because I already knew the backstory & character before starting. It could be, that Rockstar didn't develop the game enough for newcomers...I never thought of it till now, had too much fin with the game & was dying to see how it all played out for Max

Did you ever hear of zero punctuation? 5 minute video reviews. Controversial troll-like reviews most of the time.
    Anyway in his review of this game he refers to it as 'Max complain 3'... I LOL'd :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Blue Bitch

Max Payne three is a great game and a true successor to Max Payne one and 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I seem to be having a very annoying but workable problem on the PC version.
    Been playing for a good few hours with no hiccups other than the fullscreen 16:10 ratio bug.

Went to load it the other day and it crashed to desktop at the point where it logged me into Rockstar Social Club.

I had a thought that it was trying to access the save game since the main menu screen image is dependant on progress in the single player.
    Cut the save game and the stats file from the documents and loaded up the game. the game loaded up but I had to watch the intro again. So I then removed just the stats file from the documents/rockstargames/maxpayne3 folder and left the save game there. It loaded up to the main menu but it wouldn't load my savegame until I pasted the stats folder back in there. It's really annoying and I thought it might fix itself once the save game/stats files were overwritten. Nope! :mad:

Anyone else experiencing this? Frustrating, but happy I didn't have to start all over again to get it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Great game, it is very old school and infuriating at times. Most of that infuriation was down to me trying to use the xbox controller, switched to keyboard and mouse and it's much easier to control.

It seems to be fairly short but I had a go at arcade mode and that was a bit of craic playing against the other lone bordsies score.

I think I have a strange problem but maybe it's normal.

When I go back playing the story chapters to collect the golden gun parts I'm often put into the chapter half way through. When I start chapter 4 I start it practically at the end of the mission and have skipped past all the collectables and clues.

When you replay a chapter you can select which part to play. Maybe you're game is defaulting to something other than the first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think I have a strange problem but maybe it's normal.

When I go back playing the story chapters to collect the golden gun parts I'm often put into the chapter half way through. When I start chapter 4 I start it practically at the end of the mission and have skipped past all the collectables and clues.
    Change the checkpoint to 0 or 1 when you're choosing the chapter.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Change the checkpoint to 0 or 1 when you're choosing the chapter.
    Oh, I wondered what that option was for, I thought it added more checkpoints making it easier to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Really enjoyed this from start to finish. I'd definitely recommend it.

I like Max's comments all the way through, they add a bit of colour to him. The dynamic difficult is a good idea on the few sections where I died a few times. The A.I is quite smart, a number of times I was flanked, or if I had a lock on someone, they wouldn't pop their head up again. The best one was on Chapter 14, where I was shooting through a doorway at a guy, ran out of ammo, retreated down a stairs to get some and he followed me the whole way.

Not being able to skip the cut-scenes wasn't a problem for me, but I can see it being annoying on second play through. The story is simple enough to follow and reasonably interesting too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Sweded

Still playing the game, I actually started playing this game few days back and all I can say at this point is its one AWESOME game. Too bad I rarely have time to play it because of my busy schedule, that's why i'm still stuck at the mid part of the game.

Replaying the game going for golden guns (well I haven't finished the story yet I'm collecting golden guns before I do the last four chapters). The gun battles really are chess matches and it's never the same battle twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Anyone still playing this online?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,459 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Q_Ball wrote: »
    Anyone still playing this online?

Haven't played in ages, thinking of trading it in for the new spiderman game. Max Payne 3 was brilliant and I'm sure I'll want to play it again in the future, just not right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Yeah I'm the same. I've completed it, it's done and I don't have the impetus to go back to it really.

I thought I enjoyed it more than that

Q_Ball wrote: »
    Yeah I'm the same. I've completed it, it's done and I don't have the impetus to go back to it really.

I thought I enjoyed it more than that
    I thought the arcade mode was fun. I don't buy many games though so it's not a jaded concept for me. GTA V will probably be the next game I buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

mystic86 Im sorry but never have a read a game review so far off target haha, its worse than my aiming in the game!

Rented this out today, havnt put it done since I started playing, I cant remember the last time a game kept me this hooked, I just want to see what happens next! Loving the whole movie/game scene, kind of reminds me of MGS! Dont really remember the other MP's so not sure if they were the same?

Gandalph wrote: »
    mystic86 Im sorry but never have a read a game review so far off target haha

Off the target of your opinion? I'm OK with that. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Off the target of your opinion? I'm OK with that. Enjoy.

Me and maybe 90% of all the other people in here looking at how positive they are rating it, you made it out to be the devil of all games

• Advertisement

Gandalph wrote: »
    Me and maybe 90% of all the other people in here looking at how positive they are rating it, you made it out to be the devil of all games

That is probably true alright.

Enjoy anyway. Carry on.

Advertisement