Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Hide (chat thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Stigura wrote: »
    Me, to my neighbour, the other week: " Oh, look! There's the rat, sneaking a bite of the bird seed I put down on the track! "

My neighbour ~ all bulgy eyed and foaming at the mouth: " Shoot It!!! "

I'm like " :confused: It's a rat, man. It lives along the ditch. Rats do that. It's nature. The entire ditch is full of rats. Should I shoot them all the way to my post box and beyond? Where do I stop? They don't come near me, else they'll be dealt with. "

My neighbour, to me, last night; " Would ye shoot a fox for me? "

Me: " Why?!? What's it doing? "

He says, " It's walking round in circles. "

I'm like; "Sounds neurological! I'll get my gun. "

" Oh, no. " He interjects. " It's healthy. It's just walking round my cut silage. Annoying my cattle, in the next field. "

Me: (" Deep breathes and Walk Away ....!!!")

People!!! :mad:

Maybe I shouldn't tar them all with one brush but ******* farmers! They kill/poison/destroy everything unless they get lots of gold to do otherwise and then they'll do nothing but complain that it's not enough gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Stigura

vargoo wrote: »
    Maybe I shouldn't tar them all with one brush .....

Seriously leaning toward agreement. But; My neighbour, Pat, is absolutely Murder!!! I'm sure he'd like to take a straight edge and nail scissors to the verges, if he could. Pat takes being Fastidious to a whole new level!

Every Year he gets Another bee in his bonnet. First, it'll be the rushes. And we'll all deploy to the bog. Brush Cutters in hand. Pointlessly shredding down acre upon acre of Juncus.

Next? Ivy on trees. He'll be swinging, like a monkey, across drains. Chain saw swiping.

Next year? Cut down All the trees! They've suddenly offended his eyes. He wants to see only cattle. And, his cattle ~ neurotic, skittish creatures ~ must see only him.

Noel? His Givea****ometer has long since rusted stuck. Noel's land is noted for its quality and density of juncus! Playing 'Spot The Cow' is great craic. They're out there, somewhere, on Noel's juncus serengetti. But, who cares? They're alright.

And, noel is one of the greatest, natural, Naturalists I've ever known. He hasn't got a clue what a bird is. But, he knows where it's nesting. One time, in his yard, I pointed to a Pied Wagtail. I was about to go into one about how I have them here. And have successfully failed, for Years, to find their bloody nest sites.

I said; " Ye see that pied wagtail, Noel? " And Noel just replied; " Oh. Is that what they are? They nest in there. " And pointed to a tiny chink beneath a shed roof. I could have screamed!!! :D

So, yeah; In balance? Whilst Some farmers Are nothing but vampires, feasting on the life blood of the land? They're really not All the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Stigura

:eek: Just chilling, with the creatures, outside. Saw a Flutter By I couldn't quite get the fix on. Stared at it; " Is that a Peacock, or a Tortoiseshell? "

Got a bit closer. Crapped it and ran for the camera! Got lucky too!

Red Admiral!

Red-Admiraltn.jpg

I honestly can't remember the last time I saw one! Years ago? Decades?!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mod: Folks, just a reminder that bad language is not permitted in this forum. Please refrain from swearing. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

New Home wrote: »
    Mod: Folks, just a reminder that bad language is not permitted in this forum. Please refrain from swearing. Thanks.

Hands up!

I was wondering what I missed, didn't even cop this was about me.:o

Some of them around me boil my blood though, it's poison in the sausages season around here now as the bales are done.

He tries to be the soundest lad going, has no idea his poor cancer ridden wife has everyone told what he's really like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Kayla Moldy Supernova

A real swallow evening right now. Sixty plus swooping over the garden and the adjoining field. A few House Martins in the mix too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The "Waterford Whisperer"? :rolleyes: An article from "The Onion", next? :D

It's Waterford Whispers, so what's the point???

In hindsight, it wasn't posted in the "Nature in the news" thread, :)

• Advertisement

14 Great Tits on two feeders today. A wonderful sight. The other birds couldn't get a look in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

Looks like the starlings in my area have found some flaxseed somewhere they have orange heads now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Bsal wrote: »
    Looks like the starlings in my area have found some flaxseed somewhere they have orange heads now ðŸ˜

About this time of the year Birdwatch gets inundated with calls about strange orange-headed birds showing up in peoples gardens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

last night i learned that what i had guessed were very small leeches in my garden pond are much more likely to be a type of flatworm called planarians. every day's a school day.
    this is them; i cleared out about half a bucket's worth of vegetation from the pond last night, and these were all the critters just in the vegeation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Pretty sure those are leeches; see the way they move like a slinky. They don't seem to be flat either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Get yourself a sun hat and a beer, and sit at the edge of the pond with your feet dipped in the water for half an hour. This should provide further info for us. In the interests of science...

recedite wrote: »
    Pretty sure those are leeches; see the way they move like a slinky. They don't seem to be flat either.
    yeah, i've just been reading that planarians can't swim; these can, though you don't really see it in my video because the water was shallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

saw a buzzard fly overhead yesterday whilst driving to Nenagh Co Tipp....majestic sight

fryup wrote: »
    saw a buzzard fly overhead yesterday whilst driving to Nenagh Co Tipp....majestic sight

They nest within sight of the house here. Fabulous birds.

The garden is awash with newly fledged House Sparrows and Chaffinch this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

fryup wrote: »

Just saw 2 circling overhead where I am working. One of them was calling which drew my attention. Saw another being bombarded by swallows on Sunday and another on my way out from Cork city yesterday evening. Probably close to 10 sightings since the start of May towards the south west of the county.

in the space of about 6 years from roughly when I saw my first one.

A pleasure indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Just saw 2 circling overhead where I am working. One of them was calling which drew my attention. Saw another being bombarded by swallows on Sunday and another on my way out from Cork city yesterday evening. Probably close to 10 sightings since the start of May towards the south west of the county.

in the space of about 6 years from roughly when I saw my first one.

A pleasure indeed.

Yes, I litterally only have to look out the window on a clear day to see one these days. Ten years or so ago, I'd never even seen one. Amazing the changes a few years can bring. Unfortunately most of the changes have been negative one's.

another recent return is egrets. we have seen one beside the church in glasnevin - beside the botanic gardens - a few times.

Lost a Chiffchaff to a collision with a window today. Such a shame. It was a fabulous little bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

<snip>

Mod Note: Removed as not relevant to Nature & Birdwatching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Keplar240B wrote: »
    <snip>

Mod Note: Removed as not relevant to Nature & Birdwatching.

Interesting, but I don't think this belongs here in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Dropped down to Malahide estuary earlier. Surprised to see Lapwings, Black-tailed Godwits, Dunlin and Redshanks in numbers. There were even 5 Knot and a Snipe. More used to seeing these species in the winter. Presumably many of these birds were either non-breeders or failed breeders?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Dropped down to Malahide estuary earlier. Surprised to see Lapwings, Black-tailed Godwits, Dunlin and Redshanks in numbers. There were even 5 Knot and a Snipe. More used to seeing these species in the winter. Presumably many of these birds were either non-breeders or failed breeders?

I do monthly high/low tide surveys in Dublin Bay - plenty of Blackwits, Curlew, Redshank and Oycs back, plus a few Lapwing and Whimbrel. Good numbers of Black-headed Gulls too with a few juveniles in tow! Definitely a few juveniles in the wader flocks too,so we're into the proper migration period now - mostly non/failed breeders but not exclusively!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭fiacha

Went down to the kitchen this morning and was greeted by a scene out of "The Birds" :). 20+ Jackdaws, 6 Hooded Crows, 9 Magpies and a selection of gulls all circling and calling over the back garden. The magpies were taking turns bombing the area around a feeder at the end of the garden. I can't see that feeder from the house, but I assumed there was a Sparrowhawk down there somewhere.

Then a cat comes darting in from the left, and the Sparrowhawk explodes out from the right quickly followed by every corvid in the area. I chased the cat off and found a very shaken juvenile Starling inside the squirrel cage of the nut feeder. It hopped out and buried itself in the sweetpeas. That must have been some experience for it !

The Hooded Crows and Magpies are currently posted up on all the surrounding high points keeping a noisy watch.

Great early morning drama in the suburbs :)

Five buzzards wheeling over the garden most of today. Lively to see and hear that breeding went well this year. And the Mistle Thrushes have laid claim to the Rowan berries already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Seen close to 50 curlew today do I report this

Advertisement