Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭e-sull

Something up with Eircom's server?

911567090.png www.fwi.ie
    911567643.png www.telecogresca.com
    911568408.png www.eircom.net

no change in circumstances, environment or anything like..

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

UPC 30mb in Cork City, still going strong and max speeds 24/7,

very very reliable for me, happy out and looking forward to a speed increase soon :D

912118726.png
    upciespeedtest.png

and a little result from a file i just downloaded from Rapidshare with Flashget

Flashget-speed-results.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Spooky1666 wrote: »
    Still only 12 meg though. Unlucky. Look wat i'm getting and I'm paying for 5 :D:D:D

Yeah i saw, any reason for that? Turned off firewall, was just installed yesterday and was told might be a few hours before full signal is going through

Gonna try the ethernet when i get home tonight. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Spooky1666

allanb49 wrote: »
    Yeah i saw, any reason for that? Turned off firewall, was just installed yesterday and was told might be a few hours before full signal is going through

Gonna try the ethernet when i get home tonight. :D

Some UPC connects aren't that great. Maybe thats why. Or maybe it's your router? Try your ethernet cable and if you see a major improvement then maybe upgrade your router? If your still only getting 12mbs then maybe you should downgrade to the 15mbs package. That way u'd pay less and still get the same speed. ( please note there is a 15 euro downgrade fee ) :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wcp1200

Whats this about turning of the firewall? Got upc 30 pack. Upload always hits 3 but download goes from 7-20. ping is always 36-37 and packet always gets lost. What does the packet loss thing mean anyways?

• Advertisement

wcp1200 wrote: »
    Whats this about turning of the firewall? Got upc 30 pack. Upload always hits 3 but download goes from 7-20. ping is always 36-37 and packet always gets lost. What does the packet loss thing mean anyways?

Yep I'm 99% sure that it's your firewall that's causing that. Data is sent in packets (like food is sent in packets). Packet loss is when data packets that were sent are never received. Anything above 0% is bad and usually only caused by router firewalls. To turn off a router firewall look at the label on your router( it usually tells you the website to search and the username and pass code) Once you do that you will get into your router setting. You should see firewall settings there. Uncheck/turn off everything that's on. That should fix your problem. If your a bit confused or have any questions feel free to ask. :)

How do i enter the firewall settings?

When i do the speed test for galway(which is where i am) i get like 10down 3up and 38ping but when i check it with the dublin server i always get 21down 3up and 26ping. So how do i make sure im using dublins server and not galways? I have UPC 30 pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

914663229.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Vodafone at Home. This is the 3MB package:

915078670.png
    22180268.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Kilcoole, Wicklow; Eircom 3mb

915120307.png

When i do the speed test for galway(which is where i am) i get like 10down 3up and 38ping but when i check it with the dublin server i always get 21down 3up and 26ping. So how do i make sure im using dublins server and not galways? I have UPC 30 pack.
    any help

any help

Sorry for not replying earlier. I am very busy lately and rarely get to go on my computer. As with changing your firewall setting on you wireless router/modem there should be a sticker saying for example Access: http:/routerlogin.netgear.com, Username: Admin, Password: Password.
    You have to enter that address on you internet browser and then when prompted enter the username and password. Then you should be able to see all you settings on that page and easily change them. Let me know when you get that far.
    As for the server are you using speedtest.net? if you are it says the server name and location in the top right of the screen and in the results box and you can change the server by selecting a new one on the map.

But how do i find out what my actual internet speed is. Do i test the galway server since im in galway? Will that be the one my internet uses. Its speedtest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

But how do i find out what my actual internet speed is. Do i test the galway server since im in galway? Will that be the one my internet uses. Its speedtest.

The closer the server is to your location generally means its faster eg. If you do a speedtest to a Australian server it wouldnt be as fast then connecting to a Dublin server. When you use the internet there is always at least 2 servers you connect to. The first one is your internet providers server then the server where the website is located. The first one generally always the same and depends on who your internet provider is the second one is nearly always different. So lets say your with eircom. When you go on boards.ie your computer connects to eircom then the boards.ie server which is somewhere in Ireland. If you go on a Canadian website its computer>eircom>server somewhere in Canada.

ah ok. Thanks for the help guise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

919036592.png

22380697.png

UPC | 15meg | Waterford

johndoe99 wrote: »
    919036592.png

22380697.png

UPC | 15meg | Waterford

You need to install Java on your PC for the packet loss test to work.

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp#win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Ranicand wrote: »
    You need to install Java on your PC for the packet loss test to work.

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp#win

I checked my Java folder and it had not been updated since 18/08/2008 (weirdly it was exactly 2 years ago to this very day)

Anyways I updated it with latest version, but the packet loss test still won't run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

• Dovado UMR router
    • Vodafone 3G dongle
    • 2-storey house ...converted attic (important)
    • WinXP PC with PCI wireless card (ground floor - also important!)
    • (and an iPhone)
    I've 'wasted' an evening testing numerous configurations of my 3G broadband setup and thought it might help others to post some info. Skip to next post if you're not interested, or if you're just paying Chorus/ntl way too much a month for an internet connection and want to brag about your ping times ;)

I was paying 02 €20/month. When I got the iPhone Vodafone offered me a dongle for €16/month. I reckon that's a good price if you can get it to perform to its potential.

Which begs the question - how far can you push it?

I'm located pretty close to both 02 and Vodafone masts (800 yds or so, at a guess - thanks to the Comreg map) and I found Vodafone to be faster (with both dongles getting the same strength 3G signal, as reported by my router).

I was a little surprised at the speed difference - at one point, it seemed quite a lot quicker - so I started testing different positioning of the router to see how far I could push it, and to find out whether 3G reception OR network connection strength (XP's connection dialog - the 1-5 green bars) is more important with this kind of setup?

So, with PC on the ground floor, the testing began!

Router in Attic:
    41% 3G signal on the router.
    'Very Weak' connection (1 green bar) on the PC:
    920822605.png
    As for pingtest... it timed out trying to test the ping :D

Router on 1st Floor:
    22% 3G signal on the router.
    'Low' connection (2 green bars) on the PC.
    920850820.png22474644.png

Router on Ground Floor:
    32% 3G signal on the router.
    'Very Good' connection (4 green bars) on the PC.
    920953958.png22475578.png

Yes, but... what does it all MEAN, Basil?
    Who knows?! Perhaps...
    1. positioning the router+dongle to get at least a 20% 3G signal, and
    2. getting at least 3 green bars in XP's connection properties dialog
    are both important. - i.e...
    1. Trying to get more than 20% 3G signal is pointless if you only have 1 or 2 bars (Very Weak or Weak) PC WiFi connection.
    2. Likewise, trying to re-position everything to get more than 3 bars in XP is futile if you have less than a 20% 3G connection to start with.

Epilogue (feels like a book I've written!)
    Interestingly, with the router in the attic and standing next to it with the iPhone:
    52138694.png
    (ok so the ping's a little slow, but otherwise very respectable for a 3Mb 3G dongle).

Ideally then I'd leave the router in the attic and get a stronger antenna, possibly a directional one, aimed down into the house (?) to boost the signal to the PC 2 floors below. A 41% 3G connection is great but the WiFi signal from the default antenna really lets it down!

But should I go for one of these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/antenna-Netgear-Buffalo-Routers-Adapters/dp/B003L33UJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282246183&sr=1-1

...or one of these 'directional' puppies?
    http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=5109

Any thoughts?

davenewt wrote: »
      Skip to next post if you're not interested, or if you're just paying Chorus/ntl way too much a month for an internet connection and want to brag about your ping times ;)

TBH 22 euro a month which is what I pay for chorus/ntl (which is upc now by the way) is not a hell load of money more then the 20 euro you pay now ;) or even 16 euro :P

Spooky1666 wrote: »
    TBH 22 euro a month which is what I pay for chorus/ntl (which is upc now by the way) is not a hell load of money more then the 20 euro you pay now ;) or even 16 euro :P

Well, €29.75 a month (I don't have their TV, so they extract the pee-pee a little more) for 5Mb Down and only 512k Up is a crime if you ask me.

I've often thought about their 30Mb package, but at 50 quid a month, it has to remain a thought. I'd have a hard time explaining myself to the OH, even if she would be able to find songs *even quicker* with SoundHound :)

921537498.png22505442.png
    UPC is well worth it.

2uf564x.jpg

Well, €29.75 a month (I don't have their TV, so they extract the pee-pee a little more) for 5Mb Down and only 512k Up is a crime if you ask me.

I've often thought about their 30Mb package, but at 50 quid a month, it has to remain a thought. I'd have a hard time explaining myself to the OH, even if she would be able to find songs *even quicker* with SoundHound :)

Well get their tv then and you could be enjoying real broadband at a bargain price ;)

I had their TV before and 'benefitted' from their terrible (complete lack of) customer service. I swore I wouldn't rush back, and I'm more than happy with Sky so far.

Anyway, sorry for the Off-Topic, mods! As you were! :)

I had their TV before and 'benefitted' from their terrible (complete lack of) customer service. I swore I wouldn't rush back, and I'm more than happy with Sky so far.

Anyway, sorry for the Off-Topic, mods! As you were! :)

UPC offer all 3 services on the one bill.

Sky has a better TV service but they can not offer phone or broadband and even worse Sky require a phone line for multi room.

This is a boradband speed and ping test thread and UPC are the clear winners.

I am not forgetting Magnet fibre to home however UPC and Magnet fibre areas tend not to overlap.

The speed and ping test thread gives people a true picture of what can be expected from the ISPs that is not based on opinion.

Magnet fibre 50 meg and UPC 30 meg are the two best home products in Ireland and this thread backs it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Looks like Vodafone (former BT) broadband accelerated recently:

922728540.png

My old results are here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65907963&postcount=239

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Tiamat666

This is what I've been getting since yesterday morning. I called VF support, the guy said my line doesn't support 7,6mb (even though I had that for the past 3 years!) and he reduced my speed to 6mb and it didn't make any difference(what a surprise!). I've never had problems like this with BT. Only alternative I have is eircom and I don't wanna get their crap 50gb limit. Anyone else having problems with vodafone?

922780915.png

Back to normal now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dark Nex

922848911.png

UPC 30MB

Advertisement