Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative access routes to Computing at ITT?

• 06-01-2015 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I'm currently in the process of studying for my Leaving Cert in 5 months time, unfortunately, due to circumstances surrounding my last year and a half or so, I don't feel I can guarantee my entry into this course based on my leaving cert, so I'm looking to prepare an alternative access route, to cover me in case I fail to get sufficient results in my leaving cert. I know that with most college courses, you can gain entry via a PLC course, if I fail to gain entry this year, I'd be hoping to do a 1 year PLC course and give it another shot next year. Does anyone know if this is really worth my time? Or would it be extremely unlikely to gain entry via a PLC and I should just repeat my leaving cert if I don't gain entry this year? And could anyone recommend some courses I could look at for this option? I'm based in Tallaght, but anywhere easily reachable from Tallaght via public transport is an option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Kenajonn

Try this:
    Based in TALLAGHT Course Code DW169
    Course Description Full Time Day Course
    This course has been designed to provide industry with personnel who are skilled in installing, configuring, upgrading and maintaining computer systems and networks. Learners will be able to manage, maintain, troubleshoot, install and configure basic network infrastructure as well as utilise troubleshooting techniques and tools to resolve PC, OS and network connectivity and security issues.

Course Certification
    Windows Server Administration Fundamentals

Modules:
    CAREER PLANNING AND JOB SEEKING SKILLS
    COMPTIA A+ - 220 801
    COMPTIA A+ - 220-802
    COMPTIA NETWORK + 2012
    IN-COMPANY
    INDUCTION
    MTA - WINDOWS SERVER ADMINISTRATION FUNDAMENTALS - ONLINE
    Requirements
    Applicants must have reached the current statutory school leaving age.
    Learners should have Leaving Certificate standard of education. Learners are expected to have a basic knowledge of personal computers, familiarity with the Microsoft Windows environment, some experience of using Microsoft Office applications to include competency in the use of Microsoft Word.
    Good numerical and literacy skills are essential. Good verbal and written communication skills are desirable.

Good luck in the leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Your other option is to reach out to the Head of Department (Barry Feeney) and see if he has some suggestions for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Irishguy16

macrubicon wrote: »
    Your other option is to reach out to the Head of Department (Barry Feeney) and see if he has some suggestions for you?

That is impossible, he never returns any emails!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Thanks for all the replies, I'll send the Head of Department an email and see if I get a reply, if I don't get a reply I'll pop down to the college and see if that gets me anywhere, thanks, greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭cytex

There is a open day on the 20th the department head is normally their for these telling people about the course you could ask him then.

IF you are doing a computer plc course make sure it is a programming one not hardware as the one above as this will prepare you better for this computing course and I do know a few of this years first years did go this route .

http://www.crumlincollege.ie/full/comp7.html

is the kind of course that will prepare you .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭crazy eyes

Where abouts are you located? I done a fetac level 6 in computer science in newbridge which got me into computing in tallaght it. A few others done a similar kind of course in greenhills college. There maybe other plc's that will gain you entry.

I would highly recommend the course in newbridge in St conleths cc. The course head Keith quille is one of the best lecturers I have had.

Advertisement