Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trucks on motorway

• 28-05-2012 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭

Am I right in thinking that trucks are only allowed in the left lane on a motorway? I heard it a few times but I see trucks out of the left more often than they are in it.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

GarIT wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that trucks are only allowed in the left lane on a motorway? I heard it a few times but I see trucks out of the left more often than they are in it.

Left or middle if there is one; when the limit is higher than 80km/h. If its 80 or below they can go in any lane.

Irish truck drivers do generally obey this, not always. UK registered drivers would appear to be the worst at obeying it from my observation. I've Trafficwatched a truck driver who took NINE KILOMETRES on the M9 to complete an (illegal) overtaking manoeuvre but never heard anything back on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭timogen

GarIT wrote: »
    They are not allowed in the right lane as in far right as in lane three or as some would call it the fast lane of a three lane motorway. I'd be question the people you heard it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Interestingly I saw a polish truck pulled for this on the M1 recently by a black Superb.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

timogen wrote: »
    They are not allowed in the right lane as in far right as in lane three or as some would call it the fast lane of a three lane motorway. I'd be question the people you heard it from.

Question them because they're right? :confused:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html#zzsi182y1997a33

"( d ) drive a vehicle of a class for which an ordinary speed limit of not more than 50 mph is prescribed by regulations under section 44 (1) of the Road Traffic Act, 1961 in the traffic lane nearest the right hand edge of a carriageway having more than one traffic lane"

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

MYOB wrote: »
    Question them because they're right? :confused:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html#zzsi182y1997a33

"( d ) drive a vehicle of a class for which an ordinary speed limit of not more than 50 mph is prescribed by regulations under section 44 (1) of the Road Traffic Act, 1961 in the traffic lane nearest the right hand edge of a carriageway having more than one traffic lane"

You missed a bit there:

"( d ) drive a vehicle of a class for which an ordinary speed limit of not more than 50 mph is prescribed by regulations under section 44 (1) of the Road Traffic Act, 1961 in the traffic lane nearest the right hand edge of a carriageway having more than one traffic lane except where it is necessary to proceed in that lane due to an obstruction or because another lane or lanes is or are for the time being closed to traffic."

Surely a vehicle that is doing less than 50mph in the left lane would be an obstruction?

On another note - why are the laws still in MPH? Ireland switched to KM/H years ago...

• Advertisement

but43r wrote: »
    Surely a vehicle that is doing less than 50mph in the left lane would be an obstruction?

No. A vehicle stopped is an obstruction, a vehicle moving is not.

HGVs are not allowed in the outer lane on 2 lane motorways and drivers *do* get fined for doing so.

Buses are now, as their limit is now 100km/h on motorways. At the time of writing there, they were not.

On another note - why are the laws still in MPH? Ireland switched to KM/H years ago...

It would have been updated by a later SI to change that to 80km/h, the web view does not show the unified texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Funny situation happened this morning at the beginning of the M50 at the Airport end. Truck joining the M50 from the N32 so naturally started in the overtaking lane... Common sense would dictate that he'd try moving left as soon as possible, which he sure enough tried to do. Unfortunately the general driving public being idiots, we're unhappy with his accelerating progress in the 'fast' lane so a steady stream of them decide to undertake him to make the progress they so urgently needed.
    Left the poor guy indicating and attempting twice to move left before being forced to abort both times due to their idiocy, until someone with a bit of cop on held back a bit for him.

HGVs are not allowed in the outer lane on 2 lane motorways and drivers *do* get fined for doing so.

Buses are now, as their limit is now 100km/h on motorways. At the time of writing there, they were not.

It would have been updated by a later SI to change that to 80km/h, the web view does not show the unified texts.

Sooo, if someone was doing 70 KM/H in the left lane no HGV would be aloud to overtake it legally?

Ultimate trolls dream :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I drive the M7 every week, and as soon as you get to junction 14 all the way to clondalkin, trucks do be taking the piss, you can see the driver pulling out his calender just before he begins his manouvre, then you get the domino effect and it leads to doing a fair distance at 100Km/hr. Very annoying :mad:

kona wrote: »
    I drive the M7 every week, and as soon as you get to junction 14 all the way to clondalkin, trucks do be taking the piss, you can see the driver pulling out his calender just before he begins his manouvre, then you get the domino effect and it leads to doing a fair distance at 100Km/hr. Very annoying :mad:

It is, but even more annoying are the drivers in the left late doing less than 100 KM/H.

Btw, I also hate the lorries driving in right lane but if I was a lorry driver I would also be doing it - no way I would be stuck behind some idiot doing less than 80 KM/H

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

ah yes, thanks for that. It's useful to have a Barrister on the forum isnt it.

corktina wrote: »
    ah yes, thanks for that. It's useful to have a Barrister on the forum isnt it.

No need to be pointlessly sarcastic.

Just looked up CitizensInformation out of interest and speed limit for trucks on Motorway is 90 km/h (50 odd MPH).

80 KM/H (50 MPH) speed limit for trucks is for Dual Carriageways thus the legislation that you quoted earlier only applies to Dual Carriageways...

Just looked up CitizensInformation out of interest and speed limit for trucks on Motorway is 90 km/h (50 odd MPH).

80 KM/H (50 MPH) speed limit for trucks is for Dual Carriageways thus the legislation that you quoted earlier only applies to Dual Carriageways...

In that case, it was corrected to 90km/h.

The legislation was written to apply to HGVs and definitely still does.

In that case, it was corrected to 90km/h.

The legislation was written to apply to HGVs and definitely still does.

Any chance you could link that peace of legislation?

Found it:

www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0074.html

MYOB, you're actually right. Still, slow moving vehicle in left hand lane of the motorway could be interpreted as an obstruction imo.

Beat me to it by moments.

Was changed to 80km/h by the transitional provision of metriciation and changed to 90 when the limit was changed to 90 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭volvoman480

As a truck driver myself, I can honestly say that I frequently move to the right hand lane to pass slower moving vehicles. I do this as quickly as possible, I also check to make sure that no other cars are close by, not solely that I don't hit them but also to ensure that I'm not delaying anyone by driving in the right hand lane. I know what it's like to be stuck behind something travelling slowly.. What amazes me is how many cars are travelling at less the 90kph on our motorways. I'm aware that the 120kph is a limit, not a target. However I'm always surprised by the amount times I am able to overtake cars. Any time I have travelled in a car on a motorway (which thankfully isn't very often) I've maintained a steady 115-120kph. I shouldn't be able to pass anything on the M8/M7/M50/M1 route I travel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

As a truck driver myself, I can honestly say that I frequently move to the right hand lane to pass slower moving vehicles. I do this as quickly as possible, I also check to make sure that no other cars are close by, not solely that I don't hit them but also to ensure that I'm not delaying anyone by driving in the right hand lane. I know what it's like to be stuck behind something travelling slowly.. What amazes me is how many cars are travelling at less the 90kph on our motorways. I'm aware that the 120kph is a limit, not a target. However I'm always surprised by the amount times I am able to overtake cars. Any time I have travelled in a car on a motorway (which thankfully isn't very often) I've maintained a steady 115-120kph. I shouldn't be able to pass anything on the M8/M7/M50/M1 route I travel.

Totally agree, I have often seen trucks overtake grannies in Micras doing 70-80 km/h, no one should be forced to endure that.
    Not a truck driver myself, but I totally sympathise.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭volvoman480

Found it:

www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0074.html

MYOB, you're actually right. Still, slow moving vehicle in left hand lane of the motorway could be interpreted as an obstruction imo.

What is the case with a vehicle joining the carriageway from a merging lane. Am I entitled to pull to the right as I should or should I just squash the ba5tard for not flooring it and getting the hell out of my way??:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

dar83 wrote: »
    Funny situation happened this morning at the beginning of the M50 at the Airport end. Truck joining the M50 from the N32 so naturally started in the overtaking lane... Common sense would dictate that he'd try moving left as soon as possible, which he sure enough tried to do. Unfortunately the general driving public being idiots, we're unhappy with his accelerating progress in the 'fast' lane so a steady stream of them decide to undertake him to make the progress they so urgently needed.
    Left the poor guy indicating and attempting twice to move left before being forced to abort both times due to their idiocy, until someone with a bit of cop on held back a bit for him.

I don't get this.

Why would a truck 'naturally start in the overtaking lane' when joining a motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

salonfire wrote: »
    I don't get this.

Why would a truck 'naturally start in the overtaking lane' when joining a motorway?

Its the way the N32 merges onto the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Beat me to it by moments.

Was changed to 80km/h by the transitional provision of metriciation and changed to 90 when the limit was changed to 90 this year.

So now speed limit for trucks on motorway is 90km/h?
    Could anyone please provide a link to appropriate regulations?

EDIT:
    Allright, I found it:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0075.html
    4. The Road Traffic (Ordinary Speed Limits — Buses, Heavy Goods Vehicles, Etc.) Regulations ( S.I. No. 546 of 2008 ) are amended by substituting for Regulation 4 the following:

“ 4.(a) The ordinary speed limit prescribed for a Category N2 or N3 vehicle and a combination of a Category N2 or N3 vehicle when drawing a Category O3 or O4 trailer and when driven on—

(i) a motorway, is 90 kilometres per hour, or

(ii) any other public road, is 80 kilometres per hour.

(b) the ordinary speed limit of 80 kilometres per hour is prescribed in respect of all public roads for a combination of a mechanically propelled vehicle drawing another vehicle except for any combination of vehicles to which paragraph (a) refers.”

So it looks like that from 1 April trucks can do 90km/h on the motorway.

But it's bit ridiculous, that any other vehicle than truck while towing a trailer, is still limited to 80km/h on motorway.
    So generally all vans with trailers or cars with trailers, as well as buses with trailers are limited to 80km/h.
    What's the point in allowing trucks to do 90km/h and prohibiting them from overtaking on 2 lane motorways, if sooner or later they are going to meet a vehicle with trailer doing it's maximum 80km/h and will be stock behind it.

Kinda stupid IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Buses are not prohibited from using right hand lane since their limit on motorways changed from 80km/h to 100km/h which was AFAIR in April 2009.

But no matter what, RSA keeps publishing information that they are prohibited from using right hand lane on motorways. It's worded in their ROTR from 2010, and it's in their leaflet about motorway driving from 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

imo only people who never break the law themselves can criticise truckers for using the right hand lane.Thats more or less none of us.

on th other hand I saw a truck overtake a car yesterday uphill over a solid line approaching a junction. Now THAT I'd object to.

corktina wrote: »
    imo only people who never break the law themselves can criticise truckers for using the right hand lane.Thats more or less none of us.

on th other hand I saw a truck overtake a car yesterday uphill over a solid line approaching a junction. Now THAT I'd object to.

They say that if you sit in a cellar all day with your fingers in your ears and your eyes closed, it might just be possible not do commit a crime and even then you might possibly be guilty of loitering. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

If theres a car doing 80 then thats fine (assuming its not against the relevant law)
    My issue is the trucks that overtake other trucks and do so for miles
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I've noticed recently on the m50/m4 that quite a lot of cars doing 70-80kph accelerate to match pace with trucks when being overtaken, then slow down when the driver gives up and pulls back in behind them. I feel sorry for the truck drivers.

I've noticed recently on the m50/m4 that quite a lot of cars doing 70-80kph accelerate to match pace with trucks when being overtaken, then slow down when the driver gives up and pulls back in behind them. I feel sorry for the truck drivers.

Anyone who does that should just be shot by the roadside by armed Gardai.
    There is no reason for doing that other than being a cnut.
    The truck should just start pulling in on top of them, nothing will get them hitting the brakes faster than 40 tons of artic looming over them

And it's not just truckers who overtake for miles. Some car drivers pull alongside a truck and then overtake going exactly 0.0015 km/h faster than the vehicle they're overtaking.
    Why bother?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

I don't have a problem with trucks overtaking slower vehicles, it becomes a problem when it's 2 trucks going head to head, one is doing 86-88 kmh and the other one is doing 88-89 kmh . (I have a truck license)
    Anyone who does that should just be shot by the roadside by armed Gardai.
    There is no reason for doing that other than being a cnut.
    The truck should just start pulling in on top of them, nothing will get them hitting the brakes faster than 40 tons of artic looming over them

And it's not just truckers who overtake for miles. Some car drivers pull alongside a truck and then overtake going exactly 0.0015 km/h faster than the vehicle they're overtaking.
    Why bother?

I have seen this on the N4.

I watched a LWB van overtake on the hard shoulder to pass 2 trucks.

Advertisement