Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New EPG coming to Sky+HD - Beta about to launch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Woodie40 wrote: »
    Well TV3 would not be happy, look at their scheduling, it's basically ITV Ireland. As for Channel Five, they have Zero interest in Republic of Ireland viewers.

Agreed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Is there any actual reason why they aren't on the sky epg when itv 1,2 and 3 are on upc's digital service. I'm aware that tv 3 carry a very limited amount of the itv schedule but surely the more viewers you can capture using your own logo the better. If sky can carry the ni versions of the bbc's why not carry the ni versions of the itv's? Doesn't make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

jca wrote: »
    Is there any actual reason why they aren't on the sky epg when itv 1,2 and 3 are on upc's digital service. I'm aware that tv 3 carry a very limited amount of the itv schedule but surely the more viewers you can capture using your own logo the better. If sky can carry the ni versions of the bbc's why not carry the ni versions of the itv's? Doesn't make sense to me.

I agree. I wonder if Sky have actually tried to negotiate a deal with ITV / UTV to carry these channels on the Irish epg ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I was with upc digital and went to sky in oct 2010 I was very disappointed to see there was no ITV's especially when UPC carry them. Think I'll be returning to UPC or getting a ftv box whenever this new epg arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Woodie40

BBC do not sell advertisement space though. UTV and TV3 are also partly owned by the same company. UTV prime time and TV3 prime time are practically identicall, they show X factor, BGT and Coronation Street to name a few.....

• Advertisement

'UTV and TV3 are also partly owned by the same company'

No they're not. TV3 is owned by Doughty Hanson & Co - nothing to do with UTV

dogtoffee wrote: »
    UTV own 49% of TV3

They did in the very early days (before they came on air) but sold the stake to CanWest after TV3 tried to coax Cablelink to drop UTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭dogtoffee

sorry m8 your right was just editing my post and deleted it lol

Partially due to the fact that TV3 has shared content with those channels plus the fact that they as in ITV are not national broadcasters in ROI so it would involve sky negotiating and seeking a deal with ITV...TV3 would surely object regardless of whether they are in the same company or not...

Karsini wrote: »
    They did in the very early days (before they came on air) but sold the stake to CanWest after TV3 tried to coax Cablelink to drop UTV.

It was Granada that owned a stake, not UTV - completely separate companies

• Advertisement

It was Granada that owned a stake, not UTV - completely separate companies
    UTV owned a stake of TV3 BEFORE they came on air. The Granada stake was much later, after they launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

UTV owned a stake of TV3 BEFORE they came on air. The Granada stake was much later, after they launched.

Completely seperate companies but all part of the same ITV franchise, no ?

greendom wrote: »
    Completely seperate companies but all part of the same ITV franchise, no ?

I thought granada has a controlling stake in ITV, UTV and TV3 but its not...these guys are and have no conncetion with ITV in the uk:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doughty_Hanson_%26_Co

No wonder they are complaining about the investment rte has made in saorview and rte 2 hd -it looks like they ascertained tv3 through a leverage deal which probably bought tv3 would really restrain the amount of investment tv3 can bring to Irish TV and thus cant fully provide a real alternative in the Irish FTA TV....so they have tried to stall and prevent rte via BAI from developing a full and class saorview service.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bjp1967

Judging by reports on Digital Spy Forum the new EPG has been launched by Sky.

http://www.sky.com/products/ways-to-watch/sky-plus/?DCMP=DMC-SkyCom_Sky_Guide

bjp1967 wrote: »
    Judging by reports on Digital Spy Forum the new EPG has been launched by Sky.

http://www.sky.com/products/ways-to-watch/sky-plus/?DCMP=DMC-SkyCom_Sky_Guide

Looks like it - my internet has been down for the last few days with exception of the odd few minutes so I haven't been able to check the forum.

Here is the latest:

Version 49.20 switch - 6/6/2012

Hi All,

As previously announced, we are proceeding to the next stage of rollout for the enhanced Sky Guide, and version 49.20 will be sent to your set top boxes in the early hours of tomorrow morning. As part of our gradual roll-out of the enhanced Sky Guide, we will also be sharing this version with a small group of Sky customers who have not been part of the early release process.

Version 49.20 contains an additional fix on top of 49.19, to address an issue with reminders/recording on certain PPV/Subscription channels.

Please continue to give us your suggestions and tell us about any issues that you see. We will be in touch in due course to discuss early access to the next software release.

Thanks,
    Sky Guide Development Team

Ill retest the card trick later on :)

It didnt work at all - the previous error of it auto switching to 998 when selecting a channel that should have a shared epg slot is gone as well

As soon as I placed the Irish sub card in it reverted to the Irish epg with my hd sub channels in the right place.

I suspect that the new epg has a cache and i can confirm that the standard epg with no card is the Irish one.

It didnt work at all - the previous error of it auto switching to 998 when selecting a channel that should have a shared epg slot is gone as well

As soon as I placed the Irish sub card in it reverted to the Irish epg with my hd sub channels in the right place.

I suspect that the new epg has a cache and i can confirm that the standard epg with no card is the Irish one.

Very disappointing :( thanks for keeping us up to speed anyway- at least we know what to expect. Wonder how long I can keep it from updating. Would it be worth switching if off at night ?

Very disappointing :( thanks for keeping us up to speed anyway- at least we know what to expect. Wonder how long I can keep it from updating. Would it be worth switching if off at night ?

Most updates come though between 2 and 6 am so ye could but ye will have to remember that the old epg will not be supported for long plus it could have future compatibility issues....

Most updates come though between 2 and 6 am so ye could but ye will have to remember that the old epg will not be supported for long plus it could have future compatibility issues....

I suppose I could always do a forced upgrade if the old EPG needed replacing. In terms of functionality I can't see any enhanced functionality being better than being able to record ITV BBC 3 and 4 etc

• Advertisement

I suppose I could always do a forced upgrade if the old EPG needed replacing. In terms of functionality I can't see any enhanced functionality being better than being able to record ITV BBC 3 and 4 etc

BBC3 and 4 are on the Irish EPG?

BBC3 and 4 are on the Irish EPG?

you're right I'd forgotten they'd been added.

you're right I'd forgotten they'd been added.

I am going to miss the Itv and channel five family and the ability to see what is on the main epg and the ability to record them

I am going to miss the Itv and channel five family and the ability to see what is on the main epg and the ability to record them

absolutely - the ease of use. This upgrade is going to be a huge downgrade for me

absolutely - the ease of use. This upgrade is going to be a huge downgrade for me

Yeah I agree, and I checked the version number I have and apparently it's going to be one of the first to get it, wish there was a way to stop it, although I know there isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Now the waiting game starts :D

Seems that 4F31** boxes are first on the list. I have one of them. Doesn't bother me in the slightest as I don't watch the UK terrestrials at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

whats the card trick that keeps on been mentioned ?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Seems that 4F31** boxes are first on the list. I have one of them

What do you mean?

• Advertisement

What do you mean?

DRX890/895 boxes with serial numbers starting with 4F31 will be the first to receive the new EPG. You can check it in the system details.
    Owryan wrote: »
    whats the card trick that keeps on been mentioned ?

If you boot up the box with a UK FTV card, then change it for an Irish card, the UK channels remain in the EPG. The new EPG software closes this loophole.

Advertisement