Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ILoveLimerick.com what do you think?

• 09-10-2011 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

They seem to have every event covered now and have a video for most things to do with Limerick. Fair play to them I say trying to do something positive for a change, though there are a few people who have a bee in their bonnets about them and have told me as much.

But what do you think of them, yeah or nay or couldn't care either way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

They seem to have every event covered now and have a video for most things to do with Limerick. Fair play to them I say trying to do something positive for a change, though there are a few people who have a bee in their bonnets about them and have told me as much.

They need to broaden the presenter base. I imagine that would appease most of the detractors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

There is too much of a whiff of shameless self promotion in a desperate grasp for celebrity status about it from the usual culprits.

Which is a shame because it is a nice idea. At the moment however it appears to be more ILoveMyself.com than ILoveLimerick.com

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

RonMexico wrote: »
    There is too much of a whiff of shameless self promotion in a desperate grasp for celebrity status about it from the usual culprits.

Which is a shame because it is a nice idea. At the moment however it appears to be more ILoveMyself.com than ILoveLimerick.com

this a million times. the stuff in the local papers is cringe inducing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

If thats how you think, then you really don't know what he's like at all do you...

Sorry but, I'm a photographer with this 'Shameless Self Promotion' team; and you don't actually understand the ammount of work that goes in from all of us involved, and you also don't understand the actual ammount of us involved with it to actually make it work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It's hard in Ireland to do anything in the media and not get that "he thinks he's great" reaction from some people.

Site could do with a bit of an update but other than that it's pretty good can't see any issues with it.

• Advertisement

It's hard in Ireland to do anything in the media and not get that "he thinks he's great" reaction from some people.

Site could do with a bit of an update but other than that it's pretty good can't see any issues with it.

http://www.ilovelimerick.ie/ ?

Site is still in Beta at the moment, We have a web Dev, Susan Mosley working on it constantly so we can get it finished ASAP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Well for something thats all volunteer i think?Its good but i can see why people maybe dont like it,things on celia holamn lee and social events are boring the real life storiesare good tho.Change of presenters might be good once in while

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Maybe you could tell me what you are doing to promote the people / area you live, in a positive light?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Ditch Celia & Rich. Smug attention seeking muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I quite like the website - it's user friendly and looks good.
    I don't see why everyone has a problem with Celia and Rich, they appeal to a lot of people and are into everything, although I agree that a few younger presenters would appeal to the younger generation and more appeal is never a harm.
    I'm also quite surprised that there's no mention of the recent Zombie outbreak festival on your website - I'm almost certain I saw photos on your facebook site....
    Keep up the good work :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It's a bit ridiculous that their website is ilovelimerick.ie

It's a bit ridiculous that their website is ilovelimerick.ie

Ilovelimerick.com forwards to the .ie it was set to the .ie for the host and while it was in alpha stages

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Seems to be more of a self promoting vehicle for this Rich Anthon guy than for promoting all that is good and positive about Limerick.

L.T.P. wrote: »
    Seems to be more of a self promoting vehicle for this Rich Anthon guy than for promoting all that is good and positive about Limerick.

How? What does he have to gain from it? Take it from someone involved, its not about promoting him - its about promoting Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

How? What does he have to gain from it? Take it from someone involved, its not about promoting him - its about promoting Limerick.

He has plenty to gain from it and he knows it. It has become a vehicle for him and a select few friends to promote themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I unliked/unfriended the page on Facebook because it seemed to always be sharing links to womens clothes and shoes and the like. Most of which had nothing to do with Limerick.

Business all over the place seemed to like tagging Ilovelimerick in their pictures which had nothing to do with Limerick.

As 99% of the posting didn't interest me I stopped liking the page and unfriended them.

The straw that broke the camels back was a personally motivated post on Facebook giving the authors very personal opinion on a political matter. I gave up after that.

I think people would believe that more if he didn't stick his mush into every picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I'll never forget the day Rich Anthon (as he likes to call himself) approached me and said - "Hi are you involved in [insert area of media industry]?" When my answer was negative he just blanked me and walked away. I had to laugh. Sorry I didn't bull**** him just to watch him foam at the mouth at the prospect of more attention.

I have nothing against the photographers involved but the "presenters" element just reeks of self promotion. They'd show up to the opening of a coffin if they thought it would get their mug in the local rag newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

I'll never forget the day Rich Anthon (as he likes to call himself) approached me and said - "Hi are you involved in [insert area of media industry]?" When my answer was negative he just blanked me and walked away. I had to laugh. Sorry I didn't bull**** him just to watch him foam at the mouth at the prospect of more attention.

I have nothing against the photographers involved but the "presenters" element just reeks of self promotion. They'd show up to the opening of a coffin if they thought it would get their mug in the local rag newspapers.

Ha, this happened to me. he knew I was working in the media and kissed my ass at a party but when he found out that I couldn't influence the editorial he did the exact same thing.

Sorry but he reeks of self promotion but it's actually funny to watch him work.

Well if you lot don't like it, unfriend it - its simple. You don't have to put up with it. From working with them, I know for a fact that I find it benifical in getting me to the contacts I need. So what if he is in every second photo, so is the mayor at a mayrol event. People who have seeked promotion off Ilovelimerick have seen it can help an awful lot! Look at the headway ball! I shot all the promotion stuff for that, with him, and it was a complete success!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Is that you Rich..

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

So why does he share his own Facebook profile on it where he describes himself as Presenter, Songwriter, Producer, Creative Director, Actor?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

some of it is interesting but it is a self promotion platform, at least he contributes something unlike those city limits clowns WHO?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I've just checked the facebook page, and the 10 most recent updates are:

Bothar Fashion Fundraiser - Photos by Eva Birdthistle. (photos)
    Headway Ball. (photos)
    Limerick photographer Sean Curtin Photography who is a true artist!! Amazeballs talent!!! Please like & share!!!
    High Heels and Handbags Fundraiser for Cystic Fibrosis. (photos)
    Fab fab fab Limerick restaurant Texas Steakout!! Yummy!! Please like and share.....
    Love this Limerick photographer! Beata Pietras Photography. Please like and share...
    Limerick man & Irish Award Winning Photographer, Commercial, Portrait and Wedding Photography. Michael Martin Photography
    This Friday, October 7 · 7:00pm - 10:00pm at Dunraven Arms Hotel, Adare, Co. Limerick. Tickets and further information available direct from Headway, Limerick by phoning 061-469305 or 469306, or by emailing tickets@headway.ie.
    Limerick business Yvonne Fahy Photography. Please like and share...
    In aid of Mid West Simon Community.Please come along and support us in our work for disadvantaged people faced with housing crisis.
    Celebrating national Simon Week and creating awareness of homelessness in the region. Contact Domhnall O'Lionsigh @ 087 2760590
    Zombie Walk by Dolf Patijn (photos)

It seems to be mostly Limerick charity organisations and local businesses being promoted as far as I can see, and when is that bad? Am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ulperson

rich is a legend and one of the soundest guys around. he really works hard like you wouldn't believe

Is that you Rich..

Actually no, I'm not.. I'm one of the photographers on their team (Cillian Keogh) Who took the photos for the Headway Ball, Outbreak, Arthurs Day, Butterfly Ball, Inspire, Inspire Wedding Fair, Limerick Pride, The Tops Ball, Outbreak Launch, Roches St. Fest, Pride Comedy Night, Thomond Swim.. And many many many more. (I'm also the lazy ****er who is the only photographer that doesn't have a bio done for the site).

ulperson wrote: »
    rich is a legend and one of the soundest guys around. he really works hard like you wouldn't believe

Nah this is Rich :lol:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Buglim wrote: »
    Ha, this happened to me. he knew I was working in the media and kissed my ass at a party but when he found out that I couldn't influence the editorial he did the exact same thing.

Sorry but he reeks of self promotion but it's actually funny to watch him work.

careful now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I used to have it on my Facebook page but then it morphed into almost all gay & fashion rubbish that I had no interest in, so I removed it.

It needs a broader agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I think this hits the nail on the head. The idea is a very valid one and one that could have far more impact than it currently does, but there are a few involved that come across as being more interested in self promotion or in attaining some kind of Z list celebrity status (which in a place as small as Limerick is so laughable) than they are in promoting Limerick. Now this is not true of everyone involved, but through one of my past jobs I had one particular person involved with iloveLimerick who made a beeline for me whenever that person saw me and that person never used the word "we" when talking about IloveLimerick but stuck with "I" constantly. That person was very very interested in the fact that the company I was with (and was regional manager of Ireland for) had a massive media presence in the UK and US, especially in the entertainment sector. When it was made clear to that person that he/she would not get any personal attention, and that any company involvement would have a professional media/PR person attached, the person's interest wained.

I Love Limerick could be an excellent string to Limerick's bow though. They need to stop recycling the same people time after time, and I don't just mean their presenters.

They also need to widen their scope of interests dramatically imho. At present they seem to be targetting a very small part of the population of Limerick, and they come across as being very clique orientated regardless of whether that is actually true or not.

I think some of their PR comes across and tries to come across as them being far bigger and more Influential than they are.

This thread is a good taster as to how they are perceived by members of the public who have no involvement with them. Great concept that needs a better execution. imho of course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement