Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Touche Hotel site clean up promised

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

great news (if it happens)
    and hopefully it will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

Was there not an issue where wooden beams etc. in the interior or rotting? I recall someone posting up photos here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I'm not sure about this one. A few questions are raised. I wasn't aware that the building was in NAMA in the first case. Who is the owner/developer of the site again?

It appears the works mainly revolve around cleaning up the appearance of the site. I wouldn't have thought NAMA would sanction monies to be spent for something that isn't going to be actually used by anyone. I just don't see the finiancial benefit in the short to medium term for them to do this.

If the building is dangerous, let Wicklow Co. Co. deal with it. They have inspectors who will issue the necessary notices. Then the owner (identified to be NAMA) has to undertake the necessary remedial works to make the building safe. Has Wicklow Co. Co. issued such a notice that anyone is aware of?

On the one hand as a resident of Greystones, I am happy to see these proposals be given the go ahead, on the other hand it could simply be wasting money in the overall scheme of things. It's my take on it anyway.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Read this again.....
    "The latest update we have from the Anglo Irish Bank who are managing the case is that"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

More flim flam from 'Arris. No commitment from NAMA at all, merely the passing on of a proposal from Anglo.

The most contradictory statement yet from him...

'I welcome the positive commitment by NAMA to engage constructively on this issue. These proposals are very welcome and constitute far more than a mere paint job. All external hoarding around the site is to..” continued Deputy Harris.'

'has secured commitments from NAMA, which is now responsible', nope Anglo again.

'I trust this answers your query' meaning he made one query not the extensive communication he claims.

Can't wait for the cavalcade of councillor newsletters all with photographs of them standing outside La Touche claiming they looked into.

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote: »
    I'm not sure about this one. Who is the owner/developer of the site again?

The owner/developer has abdicated all responsible for the site once it went into NAMA. Yes they still have a massive debt to repay but they have no responsibility to make anything look good. Indeed NAMA has no responsibility to make it look good either merely to get some return on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

astrofluff wrote: »
    I'm not sure about this one. Who is the owner/developer of the site again?

The owner/developer has abdicated all responsible for the site once it went into NAMA. Yes they still have a massive debt to repay but they have no responsibility to make anything look good. Indeed NAMA has no responsibility to make it look good either merely to get some return on it.

Now that the owner has been identified by NAMA and SH, could the public be made aware of who the owner is. The planning notice for proposed future development is still posted on the hoardings in the name of a receiver (Mr Luby, I think).
    How anyone can allow large sums of public money to be spent painting, replacing shuttering, installing new railings etc is beyond me. This is just incomprehensible in times of such severe austerity.
    This hotel has gone beyond the stage of saving it and should be demolished and the site cleaned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭nobby grande

100% agree with vinpaul, what is Simon Harris doing securing funds to clean up the exterior of this once fine hotel? The interior is in a shambles from the pictures on the web. Cleaning up the exterior is a complete waste of money if the hotel is not going to be saved. A plan needs to be devised to sort out the long term future of this site and forget the short term tart up job. This is short sighted local politics at its worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Just a question, but did Simon Harris actually do anything except send an email and get a response about plans that were already made? Hardly great work to secure something is it?

Thanks for your agreement.
    More people must protest at the spending/wasting of our money (and other tax payers) on this ridiculous unthought-out plan. Who in their right mind could sanction one cent for this stupid proposal. Let the receiver spend whatever he can get on cleaning up site. Don't let NAMA or WCC dream of looking for our support on this plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Jammyc wrote: »
    Just a question, but did Simon Harris actually do anything except send an email and get a response about plans that were already made?

He also posed outside it for a photo that's in the North Wicklow Times - posing for publicity photos is 90% of SH's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

100% agree with vinpaul, what is Simon Harris doing securing funds to clean up the exterior of this once fine hotel? The interior is in a shambles from the pictures on the web. Cleaning up the exterior is a complete waste of money if the hotel is not going to be saved. A plan needs to be devised to sort out the long term future of this site and forget the short term tart up job. This is short sighted local politics at its worst.

Who would pay for the demolition and cleaning up?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Maybe if anyone has issues/problems they should email Simon Harris

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Emailing Harris does nothing, he doesn't respond even to the most major of topics. He did nothing to move this forward anyway.

As to the owner of the La Touche site, most people know who they were and that they now no longer live in Ireland.. and even if here they have no control over what Anglo does with the property. Nor can they be held accountable for tidying it up themselves.

Harris has gotten way too much publicity out of this already.

Emailing Harris does nothing, he doesn't respond even to the most major of topics. He did nothing to move this forward anyway.

As to the owner of the La Touche site, most people know who they were and that they now no longer live in Ireland.. and even if here they have no control over what Anglo does with the property. Nor can they be held accountable for tidying it up themselves.

Harris has gotten way too much publicity out of this already.

What would you suggest doing then?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

Harris should read his Bible - we dont need another "whited sepulchre"

http://bible.cc/matthew/23-27.htm

Perhaps we could have constructive suggestions rather than just criticising Simon Harris

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tiradon

To me, this sounds like a “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” scenario. If the site is left as it is, it will attract criticism for being neglected; if there’s an attempt to clean it up a bit, it will attract criticism for wasting money and time. A point to note would be that it is highly unlikely that this site will be bought any time soon as the cost to renovate/repair would probably cost as much as, if not more than, the purchase price. As far as I’m aware, the building can’t be flattened as the façade needs to be kept. This severely limits what can be done with the site (in terms of quick fixes). The likelihood is that this site will remain derelict for many years to come, probably until such a time as the building itself becomes structurally unsafe and needs to be pulled down for safety reasons (the cynic in me wonders whether this was/is the plan all along to avoid breaching preservation orders etc, but I digress). As it stands, we have an unbelievable eye-sore which is affecting the town and needs remedying. True, if it gets a facelift, there is a danger of the true scale of the “rot” being forgotten as it would be “out of sight and out of mind” but I for one, welcome the news as irregardless of who the promise comes from, and who is or is not claiming credit for it, at least it’s something tangible and that’s a lot better than nothing.

what about the people of Greystones setting up a cooperative with maybe 1000 members to take it over as a business?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

what about the people of Greystones setting up a cooperative with maybe 1000 members to take it over as a business?

Would there not be problems with taking it out of NAMA's hands?

• Advertisement

Jammyc wrote: »
    Would there not be problems with taking it out of NAMA's hands?

Not sure but I'm throwing this out there as a positive constructive suggestion.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

An interesting concept for the building. Very Good Mango Salsa. How much to get it off the receiver? And much do you want from me?

Subject to Contract/Contract Denied

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭micandre

good idea. Unlike most parts of Ireland Greystones does not have a decent hotel that can host wedding receptions/business functions. There's also a limited choice for B&Bs/hotel for visitors to Greystones. If there would be enough people in the Greystones area could contribute the individual outlay would be less.

If work is being carried out to smarten up the site it might attract investment?

Regarding SH contribution I don't see the harm in the press coverage. All public representatives of all sides would do exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭nobby grande

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    Who would pay for the demolition and cleaning up?

Nama need to decide the future of this site. Whether in fact this site / premises can ever be commercially viable again is key. I would urge Simon Harris to lobby for this decision as quickly as possible. I would not advocate spending money unnecessarily on minor and irrelevant aesthetics. With regard to demolition i have no idea who covers the cost of that and the cleanup. I think that question may be jumping the gun though. Hopefully the building can be saved, it is\was a beautiful premises and would be of worth to the town if it could provide jobs and trade.

Nama need to decide the future of this site. Whether in fact this site / premises can ever be commercially viable again is key. I would urge Simon Harris to lobby for this decision as quickly as possible. I would not advocate spending money unnecessarily on minor and irrelevant aesthetics. With regard to demolition i have no idea who covers the cost of that and the cleanup. I think that question may be jumping the gun though. Hopefully the building can be saved, it is\was a beautiful premises and would be of worth to the town if it could provide jobs and trade.

Realistically speaking a decision will not be made on the future soon. I think that it's a good idea to have the site cleaned up a bit and secured better.

Terry Pratchet

I noticed last week that the lead or copper that covered the canopies over windows on sea side of hotel has been removed. This would appear to be a break in, windows above have been broken, obviously to gain access to roof. No report of this theft in any news reports. Where is the security?? What else has been removed from this eyesore. The sooner it is demolished the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

I moved to greystones after the La Touche closed. So it holds no nostalgic memories for me. I do think that greystones needs a hotel.
    From what I can glean of the situation with the La Touche it appears that the refurbishment of it would either be structurally impossible or financially suicidal.
    Eventually it has to be knocked down or it will fall in on itself.
    Either way the hotel has no future.
    Better to knock it now, clear the site, and build something of use to the community like a hotel.
    Wasting cash on it just to make a derelict building look better is errant nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Is there a report from someone qualified that says it has to be knocked ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Huntthe wrote: »
    Is there a report from someone qualified that says it has to be knocked ?
    No......not yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Ok Ta. I'd rather wait for that than before we start knocking down our heritage.

Advertisement