Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Artist portfolio site

Options
  • 08-11-2014 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi all I'm working on a site for a friend. I'm a back end developer and my design / front end skills are poor to say the least so be nice :D

It's more or less a static site so not much interactivity. As regards SEO I really don't know much about it but I've added keywords to the 'description' and 'keywords' meta tags, and also some to each image's ALT text.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated:

http://vic-art.com/test1/Vic2/index.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Dump all of this 'Hi there, welcome to Vic Art web site, thanks for stopping by :)

My name is Victor Bjelakovic and I'm a graphite pencil artist.

Usually I work with graphite pencil, colored pencils, oil paints and charcoal. I take commissions and you are more than welcome to contact me from any part of the globe.'

...and replace with something like 'Vic Art - Victor Bjelakovic, graphite pencil artist' as heading 1. Then redo the last 2 sentences as a heading 2 and changing the copy from What I Do to What I Can Do for You.

Contact needs proper contact info and a form.

Portfolio would be improved with a version that does pic captions on the modal popups (like on the page).

On the Responsive version, a good bit of the text is lost against the background due to poor contrast. Also it wold be better to simplfy the hamburger menu (top left) so that it just displays the nav as a list isntead of unhding the left side panel.

Any feedback from happy customers available? Any pricing indications available too?

SEO
    Dump the meta keywords completely. Yes, dump them completely, they are ignored and has zero positive value.

Order your headings correctly: h1 then h2 then h3 and so on, or the same under hgroup.

Use the alt attribute more where it makes sense, you are missing a good few of those.

Adjust the titles and decriptions to describe each page as opposed to using the same copy on all pages.

Other points, your headers and footers need to be executed more properly. Generally/in your case, one header at the top and one foooter for the bottom should suffice. Using stuff like id="footer' or id='header' defeats the whole purpose/function of those tags.

hth/gl

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Some_randomer

That's great thanks a lot. I need to test the responsiveness more and maybe I'll remove the background image altogether and leave it white.

Advertisement