Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MoviesOnNow.com Site Review

• 13-09-2014 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Please take a look at http://moviesonnow.com and let me know what you think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

I like the idea, I watch a bit of TV so this is something that I would actually use.

Some suggestions/things to look at

The home page is bare / cramped to the top. Might be worth putting some discription / banner / links in there.
    When I click on Cinema (chrome brower) the "more info" is displayed on top of the time
    On TV Now > Saorview shows "Upcoming on Saorview" which I presume you are still working on but below that it lists Free to Air and shows dispicable me 2 - sky movies.
    When you click on the more info, the full description should show rather than one line with a more link.

I am not mad on the green colour as the text colour for the movie title and more info button but that could be just me. It would also be nice if you could include channel numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

Logic, that's really useful feedback and I'll act on all of it so thanks a mill.

Re. Homepage is bare. Yes, my primary audience will be mobile users (I think) so I was thinking of them with the design. I might add a few banner adverts as time goes by.

Upcoming on Saorview. Occasionally Saorview will have no movies on one particular day, so I'm showing "Free to Air" also on this page. It might be a bad idea though.

I'll add the channel numbers, cheers.

I'll think about the green colour, I'm not a designer so I might make it worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

I like the way it shows the free to air details under the soarview as there wouldn't really be much on soarview.

I had a look at the site on the iphone and it looks like the formatting might need a bit of work. Some of the text appear huge, see attachment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not bad (using Opera on desktop) it loads quickly and the poster icons are clear, I notice the films listed on the top horizontal grid cover only today, will you look to extend the time frame?

I'm getting lots of
    Undefined variable: v (View: /home/conor_harris/public/moviesonnow.com/app/views/Network/Themes/Columns/Network.blade.php)
    when clicking titles

logic wrote: »

I had a look at the site on the iphone and it looks like the formatting might need a bit of work. Some of the text appear huge, see attachment.

:eek: Nice catch, thanks.

• Advertisement

Not bad (using Opera on desktop) it loads quickly and the poster icons are clear, I notice the films listed on the top horizontal grid cover only today, will you look to extend the time frame?

I'm getting lots of when clicking titles

Re. Time frame.

I'm not sure if I will extend it because I'd like to focus on doing one thing well: showing movies that are available to watch soon. The site could be extended to cover a lot of areas but I'd like to keep it useful for a single purpose and that's answering the question "what's available to watch right now?".

You'll see in the cinema listings I only list movies within a 2 hour time frame which is extremely unusual. I had a specific scenario in mind...somebody suddenly decides they want to see a movie (e.g. they are walking around town and meet a friend) and wants to know what is available right now. So, in a sense movies that are showing tomorrow are irrelevant for this purpose.

I could be way off with this line of reasoning though :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

To be comprehensive FTA channels should include the likes of More>Movies, Horror, Movies4Men, True Entertainment, True Movies 1 and 2 (even Film On, Information TV and Showcase 2 though that might be pushing it a bit!)

Advertisement