Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gilmore's Groin

Options
  • 07-07-2009 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

It has been mentioned by a few physios to me in the last month that I may have Gilmore's Groin when getting treatment pre match. I do not want to have surgery as I am mid season. By the sounds of it I do not have a servere injury yet but it will progressively get worse. I had the injury last year and physio at that time reckoned it was coming from my hips. She did not diagnose it as Gilmore's. That was near the end of the season and I neglected to get it sorted out when I stopped playing which I regret now. It only became a problem again in the last 6 weeks but is affecting me more and more. I am keeping going by getting treatment pre matches.

Has anyone else had Gilmore's Groin, can anyone share their experiences?

For those of you wondering:

Gilmore's Groin is a fairly common injury in kicking sports such as football (soccer), gaelic football and rugby. This condition is named after Jerry Gilmore, the London surgeon who first recognised this syndrome in 1980. The condition is also known as a Sports hernia, but Gilmore's Groin is a more apt title because, strictly speaking, there is no true herniation.

Gilmore's Groin is characterised by damage to the tissue that surrounds the Inguinal canal. Specifically, there is a tear to the aponeurosis (a sheet like tendon) of the External Oblique muscle and/or a tear to the tendon of the Internal Oblique muscle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

when i saw the thread title, i actually thought this was going to be a pisstake thread about Eamon Gilmore and his politically charged groin :)

tbh dude, no one on this forum, or anywhere else on boards.ie is going to give you what your looking for. which is pretty much advice on a personal medical conditiion.

sounds like your having a rough enough time of it though. have you discussed alternate treatment options with your physio or doctor? your physio may be able to recommend some strengthening or stabilising excercises in the meantime though. In my experiece with sports type injuries, unless you have top class (Prem league) standard club medical facilities, putting off needed surgery is a false economy. It tends to come back and bite you in the ass down the road. Be very careful of the groin too, I've seen groin injuries end playing careers, both amateur and pro. Go have a chat with the doc/physio and see what comes of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭glanman

Well I didn't know if this would be the right forum or not. Its a common enough sports injury so I was hoping someone on here might have had it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hiya glanman, Mystic Monkey is spot on in his comments. We aren't allowed to give medical advice on this forum but we can discuss our experiences of various injuries/illnesses related to Men's Health.

I'm locking the thread for now, send me a PM if you'd like it opened again to discuss other peoples experiences etc but if you're only looking for medical advice on treatments then we'll have to leave it closed. Sorry.

I also think that this thread would be more suited to the Biology and Medicine forum as a discussion of Gilmore's groin but again, medical advice on treatments is not allowed anywhere on boards.ie so we probably can't give you what you're looking for...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thread reopened. Please avoid any medical advice on therapy but feel free to share any experience you have had with this condition. :)

Advertisement