Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who's the king of the promo? You decide! vote here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Wyatt for me has still potential to be amazing should be the booking team come around to him because at the moment he's been built up to be an enhancement guy for the top top talent, Reigns is definitley going over him case in point but he can so much more and deservedly so

JBL never liked him to be honest Alberto Del Rio did it better

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I love both characters.

I think JBL was better though. I'll never forget the time he went to the border to stop the Mexicans coming though.

I'll go with JBL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Haven't really taken to Wyatt like everybody else so JBL wins this buy a mile for me. He was great around 04-05ish - I think it was hearing about his goose stepping Nazi salute in Germany that started me watching wrestling again after a couple of years break.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Wyatt as the first to six takes the match. Close one.

Round One, Match Seven:

Jimmy Jacobs:

vs

Mick Foley:

Could well be a mismatch, but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I could easily argue the greatest mic guy in the whole of the attitude era is Mick Foley. That's a whopper statement.

Could do any kind of promo. His funny was as funny as hell. His serious was completely convincing and his twisted was utterluly crazy.

• Advertisement

Can't claim to any kind of expert on him but from those two videos Jimmy Jacobs wouldn't be in my top 500.

Mick Foley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Obviously Mick Foley.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Foley without a shadow of a doubt. I remember thinking at the time that 5mins of Foley on the Mic was often better than half an hour of Raw... though going by todays standards maybe that wouldn't be too hard

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Foley. Could do deranged, funny and intense, sometimes all at once. Cactus Jack for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Yep, can't argue with Mick Foley, one of the all time great promos, regardless of what you might think of him nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Foley. I love rewatching his original Mankind promos, when they were really playing up the disturbed part

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Griever931

I like Jimmy Jacob's promos but overall my preference would be Mick Foley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Never heard of Jacob's until now, you'd have to pick Mick Foley. He has cut some amazing promos in his time in a variety of different manners.
    Mick Foley for me.

100% Foley, due to the fact I have never heard a Jacob's promo.

Foley is a very good promo anyhow, one of my favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

Foley by a long way.

A whitewash, as expected.

Round One, Match Eight:

Dusty Rhodes:

vs

Bobby Heenan:

Ah jaysus! Match of the tourney really.

I'm going for Dusty, simply because he's considered the best promo in the business by so many.

Id personally know Bobby more as a commentator, and that's why I'm going with Dusty. (not to say he was "just" a commentator, he was truly one of the best on the mic)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I cant decide, but since I'll go with Heenan by a hair mainly because I assume Dusty will get more votes.

Both had a great gift of the gab.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'm going for Dusty for similar reasons to those stated above. Heenan was magic on the mic but in terms of promos few can compare with the American dream. He could connect with the audience like very few in the industry and deserves to at least be in the final four imho.

Two of the greatest mouths in history so its a flip of a coin on this one. I'll go with Bobby the brain to add a bit of competition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The American dream dusty Rhodes for me. His voice and delivery is so good you hang on his every word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Very, very tight. Both guys were awesome but I'm going to have to side with Dusty Rhodes on this one. His voice, his delivery and connection with the audience was outstanding.
    Dusty Rhodes for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

No! Come back Jimmy!

This is tough, really tough. Depending on my mood it could be either one...today's it's Bobby

Plundah baybay, if you will. Dusty all night long. Love that man, cutting babyface promos on heel Piper in heaven right now...

I'm going with Dusty as one of the greats

Dusty takes it down, unlucky for the Brain, he really could have gone a long way here.

Round One, Match Nine:

Paul Heyman:

For my money, the favourite. No man can cut a promo like Paul Heyman.

vs

Taz:

The human suplex machine could cut a great promo also, but surely he has no chance here.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

Heyman, of course.

I actually gave up listening to Heyman's promos a while back as I think the whole thing has gone a bit stale and that my client thing went on too long, but I still know he's one of the best out there at the moment and he gets the nod.

I'd love to see him trolling the smarks with Cena or Reigns :pac:

Paul E still has it decades on. Whether it's pipebombs or character based tirades, the man shines brighter than anyone else. Even recently, Taker vs Lesnar to me was nothing major but Heyman telling the story of how this rematch - THE Rematch- is too big big for WrestleMania has sold me on it, and that's what a good promo does.

• Advertisement

Heyman. One of the best talkers of any description I've ever heard. Best promo, best manager and one of my favourite ever commentators.

Advertisement