Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Volkswagon golf noise. Bearing/gearbox

Options
  • 03-04-2014 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi folksI'm looking for some help with my 2004 1.4 petrol golf.i have a noise very similar to a wheel bearing noise but when I jacked it up and spun it there is no noise I'm worried it is a gearbox problem the noise stays even when I take it out of gear when I'm driving it that's why I taught it was a wheel bearing problem.,I would appreciate some help with this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Milltown17 wrote: »
    Hi folksI'm looking for some help with my 2004 1.4 petrol golf.i have a noise very similar to a wheel bearing noise but when I jacked it up and spun it there is no noise I'm worried it is a gearbox problem the noise stays even when I take it out of gear when I'm driving it that's why I taught it was a wheel bearing problem.,I would appreciate some help with this.

I had 05 golf a few years ago and a problem I had was small stones getting the brake and caliper ( not on exact wording ) .It used sound like something was wrong with wheel .Mechanic used jack it up remove wheel and use airgu to blow out stones.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Milltown17

I had 05 golf a few years ago and a problem I had was small stones getting the brake and caliper ( not on exact wording ) .It used sound like something was wrong with wheel .Mechanic used jack it up remove wheel and use airgu to blow out stones.

Hope this helps.

No its is not that.that same thing happened me a few months ago and it was more of a rattle sound.the problem I have is a humming noise similar to a wheel bearing and gets worse on a good road.
    Thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Did you change tyres recently

Did you change tyres recently

I changed them bout 2 months ago didn't take much notice seems to got worse in last 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I changed them bout 2 months ago didn't take much notice seems to got worse in last 2 weeks.

Maybe check the pressures and re check the wheel bearings. I'd imagine a gearbox while would be slightly higher pitched and would get progressively louder, I'm not a mechanic. You hardly have larger wheels on it by any chance.

• Advertisement

Maybe check the pressures and re check the wheel bearings. I'd imagine a gearbox while would be slightly higher pitched and would get progressively louder, I'm not a mechanic. You hardly have larger wheels on it by any chance.

Ive all that done no noise seems to be coming from wheel bearing but maybe I might change my hubs before I do something with my gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

2004 are prone to wheel bearings did 3 in a week ,how fast did you try and spin the stiff bugger,jack up car insert axle stand to keep wheel off ground for safety not on jack for car WARNING,get in and drive car and listen for noise,same noise on both sides would point to gearbox diff bearings .
    front wheel bearings are expensive and are all one unit.

greasepalm wrote: »
    2004 are prone to wheel bearings did 3 in a week ,how fast did you try and spin the stiff bugger,jack up car insert axle stand to keep wheel off ground for safety not on jack for car WARNING,get in and drive car and listen for noise,same noise on both sides would point to gearbox diff bearings .
    front wheel bearings are expensive and are all one unit.

Hi
    Jacked up pit axle stand under both sides did one at a time and drove it in first gear and all sounded normal.are 04 golfs known for gearbox problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

If the noise gets more pronounced on a turn to one side when you turn to the left or right then it is a wheel bearing.
    Unless the bearing has being making a noise for some time you will not notice it on a wheel spin where there in no load on the bearing

timmy4u2 wrote: »
    If the noise gets more pronounced on a turn to one side when you turn to the left or right then it is a wheel bearing.
    Unless the bearing has being making a noise for some time you will not notice it on a wheel spin where there in no load on the bearing

Yeah I think your right its worse on a bend.i might get second hand hubs and try them out as bearings are expensive.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think your right its worse on a bend.i might get second hand hubs and try them out as bearings are expensive.
    I would be pretty sure then it is bearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I did have a case a while back where a car with brand new tyres started making slight howling noises not to dissimilar it a failing wheel bearing. In the end it was the new tyres. They were directional Vreidesteins which I subsequently found out are known for this after they've got a few weeks of use on them

driving car down road and moving from left to right sound will change with wheel bearing with load on it.40 mph well audible

Come back to us at some stage with the result

deja vu did one on an audi a3 2008 left front,my one was held on with 3 bolts as some are held on with 4 from around inside of hub and cvj.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Op. Spin d wheel when the car is jacked up and grab hold of the coil spring while the wheel is spining. If it's the bearing u will feel the roughness thru the spring.

timmy4u2 wrote: »
    Come back to us at some stage with the result

Hi folks
    Got sorted yesterday p/s wheel bearing very funny had it up in lift with mechanic and drove itupto 550mphin different gears and the noise was unreal in the car but could not hear anything standing next to the wheel.got a second hand hub to try first as wheel bearings are expensive. If the hub had not of worked my next job was to drop the box thanks be to god I didn't have to. Thanks for all the replys and help.

Hi folks
    Got sorted yesterday p/s wheel bearing very funny had it up in lift with mechanic and drove itupto 550mphin different gears and the noise was unreal in the car but could not hear anything standing next to the wheel.got a second hand hub to try first as wheel bearings are expensive. If the hub had not of worked my next job was to drop the box thanks be to god I didn't have to. Thanks for all the replys and help.
    Very good. Lucky you looked at the obvious first.
    Glad it ended well.

can i say your wrong no golf does 550mph:eek::D:D,got there in the end

Advertisement