Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah the witcher 3 is one of those games that gets MUCH easier the more you progress, you open up more abilities that make the game far too easy for the most part.

Also using potions and so forth to enhance your stats and heal is something a lot might overlook in the early stages, you can reset/replenish your alchemy potions pretty much anywhere by just meditating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

nix wrote: »
    Yeah the witcher 3 is one of those games that gets MUCH easier the more you progress, you open up more abilities that make the game far too easy for the most part.

Also using potions and so forth to enhance your stats and heal is something a lot might overlook in the early stages, you can reset/replenish your alchemy potions pretty much anywhere by just meditating.

I used a mod to increase the complexity of the alchemy system with options based on how you wanted it to behave. Made it quite enjoyable. For example you don't just chug some beer and all your potions are back. You could set it to needing all the ingredients or perhaps just the base of it. Meditating actually required a fire nearby or wood in your inventory.

Combined with this mod created a very immersive experience. I think I had some potion and oil mods on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I used a mod to increase the complexity of the alchemy system with options based on how you wanted it to behave. Made it quite enjoyable. For example you don't just chug some beer and all your potions are back. You could set it to needing all the ingredients or perhaps just the base of it. Meditating actually required a fire nearby or wood in your inventory.

Combined with this mod created a very immersive experience. I think I had some potion and oil mods on too.

Surely just playing on death march would do the trick to make it tougher?

On my way to level 12 now btw, had a good session of it tonight, Zoltan and whores mostly

Surely just playing on death march would do the trick to make it tougher?

Absolutely not. Mods increased the complexity and ability to immerse, not outright make it harder. You could always get the ingredients one way or another, wood is common, fires are common. It changed it from an absolute no-brainer drink some alochol vs actaully do something.

Death March difficulty changes how hard combat was in direct numbers like with damage etc. It didn't change how the core game mechanics worked at all. I actually used a few other mods to increase immersion and somewhat difficulty. Remove minimap, fast travel and Geralt spoiling when there was magic walls. I actually had to listen to where characters told me to go and use the skies to locate north. I allowed minimap fade-in during witcher senses use because there were times when you actually needed it. All these mods came together to make a very nice, slow experience that fit with the life of a Witcher imo :)

Absolutely not. Mods increased the complexity and ability to immerse, not outright make it harder. You could always get the ingredients one way or another, wood is common, fires are common. It changed it from an absolute no-brainer drink some alochol vs actaully do something.

Death March difficulty changes how hard combat was in direct numbers like with damage etc. It didn't change how the core game mechanics worked at all. I actually used a few other mods to increase immersion and somewhat difficulty. Remove minimap, fast travel and Geralt spoiling when there was magic walls. I actually had to listen to where characters told me to go and use the skies to locate north. I allowed minimap fade-in during witcher senses use because there were times when you actually needed it. All these mods came together to make a very nice, slow experience that fit with the life of a Witcher imo :)

You like it hardcore then, me ... I would find a lot of that infuriating! But I do get it, I know there those who must play games on the highest difficulty [plus any extra suffering they can bestow upon themselves] - they love the challenge; me, I like to get through a game without feeling punished every 5 minutes :D each to their own, but this one is much more about the story for me.

• Advertisement

As I said though it didn't give a huge bump in difficulty and finding things like ingredients and wood were not really a challenge. The main point for 90% of modding any game for me is immersion. The ability to get really lost in the game. If a mod was making me feel punished every 5 minutes I'd uninstall it. Death March was more punishing than the kind of mods I mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

I play on easier difficulties as I never have the time to "git gud" enough for the more difficult settings.

I want a hassle free experience so I can enjoy the story mode more and not be stressed out spending all evening trying to kill a griffin.

I play on easier difficulties as I never have the time to "git gud" enough for the more difficult settings.

I want a hassle free experience so I can enjoy the story mode more and not be stressed out spending all evening trying to kill a griffin.

I forget what it's called, but the one up from story only is where I've been at and earlier on even at that when you're facing a gang of bandits it can be tricky. I'm finding it is getting easier now as I'm levelling [heading for 12 now] but I still die in 2 hits from one of those Earth elementals [have only come across the one but had to leg it] - also Trololol was able to off me quick when I got too close.

I believe the only real difference between that mode and the next up is on 'hard' your HP doesn't replenish with meditation.

I don't want it to be a chore either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I forget what it's called, but the one up from story only is where I've been at and earlier on even at that when you're facing a gang of bandits it can be tricky. I'm finding it is getting easier now as I'm levelling [heading for 12 now] but I still die in 2 hits from one of those Earth elementals [have only come across the one but had to leg it] - also Trololol was able to off me quick when I got too close.

I believe the only real difference between that mode and the next up is on 'hard' your HP doesn't replenish with meditation.

I don't want it to be a chore either

TW3 has a wonky difficulty curve nomatter which difficulty level you play at. I have finished it on standard and death march. At the start, you can die very easily if you don't pay attention, at the end you are an unstoppable god-man. The only actual difficult fights are the ones against enemies that are a few levels higher than you, where basically if you chip away at them and keep your shield up, you win after about 5-10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Damn, my playstation wont read my physical copy. Guess i'll buy it again since its on sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Damn, my playstation wont read my physical copy. Guess i'll buy it again since its on sale.

Put it in the freezer with the read side facing up for about an hour.

Install it to your HD (if thats a thing)

Got hearts of stone. Turns out there's a bug in one of the quests, where you are supposed to get a diagram. It's meant to be in a chest but never spawns.

Only way to get it is to start the dlc with the pre made character.

Bummer

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Got hearts of stone. Turns out there's a bug in one of the quests, where you are supposed to get a diagram. It's meant to be in a chest but never spawns.

Bummer

Enter dev mode, spawn it exit dev mode.

Ignore if on console :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Bummer

Same thing happened me, one of the wolf amour pieces is it, up in a tower? Drove me mad trying to fix it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Roughly at what point in the game do you get to mess around with alchemy. Brewing potions, making oils and bombs etc? Also, when can I start upgrading my armour?

I bought this again last week as it was €15 for GOTY edition. Third time buying. I got to Velen and the Crones mission. I get absolutely slaughtered in combat though. I only had the starting armour and think I got a slightly more powerful sword. Couldn't find any ingredients for oils etc. Had one or two potions only.

Ended up starting from scratch again with the goal of fully exploring white orchard in the hope of getting better gear. Is that possible so early or should I just have kept going? I really want to experience this game but finding the beginning a bit of a slog to get through.

If you're playing on normal difficulty you can actually brute force your way through the entire game with quick attack build. You don't need to touch alchemy. If you're dying use green mutagens, cast quen and try to learn the dodges better. If you're on PC try change your settings so you get a better FPS for timing. Heavy attack is completely unnecessary for unmodded game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Ended up starting from scratch again with the goal of fully exploring white orchard in the hope of getting better gear. Is that possible so early or should I just have kept going? I really want to experience this game but finding the beginning a bit of a slog to get through.

Theres Witcher Gear in White Orchard

Thanks to both of you for the replies. I'll do a lot more exploring before moving on to Velen this time. Have been going to the question marks on the map.

Thanks to both of you for the replies. I'll do a lot more exploring before moving on to Velen this time. Have been going to the question marks on the map.

What level is your character at? I was getting whooped at start too, I went ahead to try the 'Family matters' quest [Bloody Baron main quest] but was only level 3 ... I gave up in end and went back to an earlier save. Then I got stuck on 'A walk in the dark' [quest with Kiera] so I left both at points just before the harder sections and went on to do a bunch of side quests to level up. You can start missions like this early but where you're offered the option to come back later [usually a choice to say 'not quite ready yet' before you get locked into a section you have to complete once started]

I went back to do the same missions, on the same normal difficulty at level 7 and coasted through them. I didn't do very much by way of alchemy, just created simple potions to help with HP during fights, also collected a tonne of food [mostly stocked up on bread earlier on] and when i got level points I put them into quic combat and quen mostly. I'm level 12 atm, and finding combat is getting a little too easy so I will be upping it to hard.

What level is your character at? I was getting whooped at start too, I went ahead to try the 'Family matters' quest [Bloody Baron main quest] but was only level 3 ... I gave up in end and went back to an earlier save. Then I got stuck on 'A walk in the dark' [quest with Kiera] so I left both at points just before the harder sections and went on to do a bunch of side quests to level up. You can start missions like this early but where you're offered the option to come back later [usually a choice to say 'not quite ready yet' before you get locked into a section you have to complete once started]

I went back to do the same missions, on the same normal difficulty at level 7 and coasted through them. I didn't do very much by way of alchemy, just created simple potions to help with HP during fights, also collected a tonne of food [mostly stocked up on bread earlier on] and when i got level points I put them into quic combat and quen mostly. I'm level 12 atm, and finding combat is getting a little too easy so I will be upping it to hard.

I was level 5 on the first save. On the new game I started I'm only level 2 but am taking my time now. Haven't even fought the Griffin yet on new save. I'm taking it slow, exploring and trying to go to the '?' around White Orchard. That was probably my main problem, trying to just do main story quests when I should be trying to figure out the basics

• Advertisement

I was level 5 on the first save. On the new game I started I'm only level 2 but am taking my time now. Haven't even fought the Griffin yet on new save. I'm taking it slow, exploring and trying to go to the '?' around White Orchard. That was probably my main problem, trying to just do main story quests when I should be trying to figure out the basics

Definitely not a game to rush through, take time and enjoy :) I have clocked over 30hrs now and nowhere near 1/4 way through if I'm to do all I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,294 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I put 230 hours into it including the dlc's but that was going to every ? except the water based ones

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I started playing this on launch day, dropping in and out occasionally, but am now - 40 something hours in - fully on-board and eager to put in a few hours a day.

In other words, I’ve discovered Gwent. Ahem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

White Orchard is a great place to do every ?, as there are so many places of power, but you would drive yourself mad doing them in the open world proper.

Not sure about Hearts of Stone DLC. Did the whole wedding thing and felt it dragged a bit.

Found the game to be way more buggy since installing it as well.

I also may have been drinking at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Skerries wrote: »
    I put 230 hours into it including the dlc's but that was going to every ? except the water based ones

I have 88 hours going into the B&W DLC and I have a few ? to get yet. I couldn't really get into Gwent though so I've lost hours there. There's a good chance I'll just canter around the place, finding all the markers and taking pretty screenshot after though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,486 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Stick with it. The "painting" bit is a pretty damn cool sequence. But HoS as a whole is more story and less gameplay focused than the vanilla game. In a way, it's more like a really long side quest than an expansion

BaW, to me, is just more W3 but in a fresh, new world.

I started playing this on launch day, dropping in and out occasionally, but am now - 40 something hours in - fully on-board and eager to put in a few hours a day.

In other words, I’ve discovered Gwent. Ahem.

That's the odd part for me, well not so much odd - I can't get with Gwent in TW3, as I play the standalone version regular, and it has evolved so much since it's basic beginnings - I should give it another go, make it a side, side mission to make a half decent deck in game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Got it at launch,
    put in about 10 hours on the first island.
    Got to the 2nd island and I think I got really overwhelmed so quick that I gave up.
    That was years ago.
    I'm abit more mature now :P Gonna have to try it again see what all the fuss is about

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That's the odd part for me, well not so much odd - I can't get with Gwent in TW3, as I play the standalone version regular, and it has evolved so much since it's basic beginnings - I should give it another go, make it a side, side mission to make a half decent deck in game

Funny enough I gave the standalone game a go today and for me (based on an admittedly very short go) it loses that basic, primal simplicity of the mini-game. As someone online pointed out, in The Witcher 3 Gwent is primarily a collection game (building your deck and getting the overpowered cards is the real pleasure), whereas in the standalone it’s a very competitive, highly balanced experience. I’m not big into competitive games, so I think that’s where the W3 version hits a sweet spot - a sense of constant progression where you’re playing for the cool rewards as much as the win.

I’ve only put two or three hours into the W3 version but have almost all the really strong cards at this stage. Just following the ‘Old Friends’ and ‘Big City Players’ quests got my a big chunk of the way to an excellent Northern Realms deck. Haven’t really experimented with the other factions as I’m still building up decks there.

Advertisement