Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gamestop taking the Michael!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

You would want to have a degenerative disease of the grey matter to buy games at that price!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Screw that, I'm going to Game HMV ...oh

Well I'm sure inflating prices won't send people running into the loving embrace of the internet, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was always going to happen. GameStop are rip off merchants and they now have a monopoly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

And the gaming industry wonders why piracy is such an issue...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

and guess what it's usually the case that the site is about €5 cheaper for a pre order than the cost of buying in store from them on release day :eek:

If this was released on games on demand the same day this would actually be the price MS would set it at, I've seen their Halo games etc go for 69.99 when they get released to GOD months after the physical release.

Anyone who walks into game stop and pays that for a game is nuts, it's going for about 47.20 EU on amazon could be even cheaper on other sites but I didn't check.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

There's still Argos, Tesco, Smyths and Xtravision left to choose from and they're all almost guaranteed to be cheaper than that. HMV might be gone but Gamestop will be following them if they dont cop on and realise there are multiple cheaper options available to customers. Haven't shopped in a Gamestop in years and don't think I will any time in the future either, there's simply no justification for a 70e price tag on any game unless it's a limited edition of some sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

All my game shopping will now be up north or on amazon. I have tried for years to buy off the high street even though its cheaper, but I will not pay gamestops prices, or deal with their inexperienced and condescending staff. Amazon/HMV UK for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Was always going to happen. GameStop are rip off merchants and they now have a monopoly.

A monopoly? Any sane person with an internet connection knows to avoid GameStop like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I just noticed something on their homepage...

gamestop_pricing.jpg

Same thing when they're advertising Hitman too. Seems a little shady tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

That cannot be Legal! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

I always think Gamestop shops are a bit dingy and grubby.Not a pleasant retail experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

High profile games like this are usually discounted in tesco (supervalue now I guess) like cod was 39.99 on release. GameStop had it for 55+. I also thought the website price was cheaper than in store? Games were five euro more compared to online?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

CombatCow wrote: »
    That cannot be Legal! :eek:

They probably can charge what they like, but I dont think hard pressed Paddy! Will pay 70 quid or more for a video game!

I can only imagine what the price list for the next gen consoles and software will be like next Autumn!:rolleyes:

If I want a new game on day one, even at 59.99. I will buy Irish with Smyths or Xtravision!

Never give my cash to Gamestop!

With the exchange rate due to improve for Euro/Sterling in our favour, Amazon.co.uk, Ebay, etc... will be the best option, even if I have to wait until the Monday or Tuesday after the Friday release for delivery!

10-20 quid is better in my pocket then B&M retailers!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I just noticed something on their homepage...
    Mistrepresentation of game price

Same thing when they're advertising Hitman too. Seems a little shady tbh.

I'd make a complaint if I were you to ASAI, thats purposefully misleading, and is not legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'd make a complaint if I were you to ASAI, thats purposefully misleading, and is not legal.

It's an invitation to treat, completely legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

You'd want to be a fair sausage to pay €70
    €48 here
    http://www.thehut.com/games/platforms/xbox-360/gears-of-war-judgment/10625630.html

€48 here
    http://www.thehut.com/games/platforms/xbox-360/gears-of-war-judgment/10625630.html[/QUOTE]

The only problem with theHut and Zavvi, is you are liable for Irish VAT etc... if u spend over 22euro, as they despatch items from the Channel Islands which is outside the EU free trade and VAT agreements. So there is a chance not always, of your game being seized by Customs at the An Post sorting office, and those Boyos wack on hefty service charges and the VAT and other import taxes.

The best places online are Amazon.co.uk, Ebay or from any retailers in the UK or other EU Country's. As you are not liable for Irish VAT, as you will have paid the VAT.

http://www.simplygames.com/

http://www.graingergames.co.uk/

http://www.gameseek.co.uk/

jock101 wrote: »
    €48 here
    http://www.thehut.com/games/platforms/xbox-360/gears-of-war-judgment/10625630.html[/QUOTE]

The only problem with theHut and Zavvi, is you are liable for Irish VAT etc... if u spend over 22euro, as they despatch items from the Channel Islands which is outside the EU free trade and VAT agreements. So there is a chance not always, of your game being seized by Customs at the An Post sorting office, and those Boyos wack on hefty service charges and the VAT and other import taxes.

The best places online are Amazon.co.uk, Ebay or from any retailers in the UK or other EU Country's. As you are not liable for Irish VAT, as you will have paid the VAT.

http://www.simplygames.com/

http://www.graingergames.co.uk/

http://www.gameseek.co.uk/

Never ever been stopped by customs with stuff from them, besides I thought that VAT loop hole was shut by the UK authorities ages ago ala play.com :confused:

calex71 wrote: »

Never ever been stopped by customs with stuff from them, besides I thought that VAT loop hole was shut by the UK authorities ages ago ala play.com :confused:

Mmm, I don't know. I think for the UK, but not for us. As the UK have other agreements with the Channel Islands as a Crown Dependency that this Country does not recognize!

Also Play.com is to stop trading from March because of the closure of the VAT loop hole.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-20953357

Mmm, I don't know. I think for the UK, but not for us. As the UK have other agreements with the Channel Islands as a Crown Dependency that this Country does not recognize!

Also Play.com is to stop trading from March because of the closure of the VAT loop hole.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-20953357

I could be wrong but I figured that once the UK had seen to that it effected all of the EU ?

• Advertisement

I could be wrong but I figured that once the UK had seen to that it effected all of the EU ?

I hope so, as there prices are low and they do free delivery!:)

Going to email them to find out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

i was in gamestop in navan yesterday and saw a pre-owned copy of borderlands 2 at 47euro,a few weeks ago i bought the same game brand new online for 25euro,no wonder businesses are going bankrupt with stupidly high prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

markie29 wrote: »
    i was in gamestop in navan yesterday and saw a pre-owned copy of borderlands 2 at 47euro,a few weeks ago i bought the same game brand new online for 25euro,no wonder businesses are going bankrupt with stupidly high prices.
    Stupidly high prices? They have overheads to pay for. And despite the prices (and lots of people still buying from them) they still can go bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Stupidly high prices? They have overheads to pay for. And despite the prices (and lots of people still buying from them) they still can go bust.

Especially with the generous prices they give the consumer on their trade ins.

Pushtrak wrote: »

Well you can feel free by all means pay the rip off prices to pay there overheads!

I will do as our politicians say "Shop Around" Mary Harney circa 2003:rolleyes:! and buy online and out of state!

Free Trade and low prices are the spirit of the EU!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Seen Resistance 3 for 50 quid in there today, wtf I bought that for 45 about 18 month.s ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The price is just that, but it has to be accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

You can talk about overheads and costs that amazon and what have you don't have to pay all you like. But it doesn't make the games any less over priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,215 ✭✭✭✭Penn

markie29 wrote: »

Similar to me. I saw Fifa 13 for €55 pre-owned in Gamestop in Navan. Bought it for €37 new in Xtra-Vision across the street 15 minutes later.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Invitation to treat refers to price tags, but what's displayed in the image could also be classified as advertising, as you aren't looking at the product at that point in time. Your attention is drawn to a link for it due to the price. Upon looking at the product the prices are different and what was advertised isn't available.

Advertisement