Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Atheism & Agnosticism are not the same thing!

• 12-03-2012 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

Yet boards mods seem to think so. There is actually a forum that goes by the title 'Atheism & Agnosticism'.

I am disappointed that boards is perpetuating the misconception that atheists are agnostics, and vice versa. They are so different from eachother that having a forum with this title is like having a forum called 'Catholicism & Protestantism', or 'Agoraphobia & Claustrophobia'. Sure, they have the same theme and all, but to call them the same thing is ignorant and offensive.

I have put this thread in AH because I would surely be banned for voicing my opinion elsewhere on this site.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

it's called one AND the other because they aren't the same

:confused:

give over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Pompous wrote: »
    Yet boards mods seem to think so. There is actually a forum that goes by the title 'Atheism & Agnosticism'.

I am disappointed that boards is perpetuating the misconception that atheists are agnostics, and vice versa. They are so different from eachother that having a forum with this title is like having a forum called 'Catholicism & Protestantism', or 'Agoraphobia & Claustrophobia'. Sure, they have the same theme and all, but to call them the same thing is ignorant and offensive.

I have put this thread in AH because I would surely be banned for voicing my opinion elsewhere on this site.
    There is also a Forum called Beer guts and Receeding hairlines, by your logic they are also the same thing. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,392 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Likewise Ranting and Raving....they are not even close.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Are you that desperate to start a thread, really.? Try harder.

Just spotted 'self defence and martial arts'. So my house alarm is a Ninja? Boards is silly......

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Pompous

Are you that desperate to start a thread, really.? Try harder.

Just spotted 'self defence and martial arts'. So my house alarm is a Ninja? Boards is silly......

Are you that desperate to get your post count up, really?

If anyone has an intelligent retort I'd be happy to hear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Actually, they are. All agnostics are atheists but all atheists are not agnostics. A bit like squares and rectangles. Contemporary usage of the term atheist is usually incorrect, as one just has to lack belief in a deity to be an atheist, not believe for sure that none exist.

Actually, they are. All agnostics are atheists but all atheists are not agnostics. A bit like squares and rectangles. Contemporary usage of the term atheist is usually incorrect, as one just has to lack belief in a deity to be an atheist, not believe for sure that none exist.

I'm sorry but you're just plain wrong. Go read up on their actual definitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I really do believe it is butter.

The 'atheism and agnosticism' thread makes no claim either way as to the relationship between the two terms. I however claim that the op is trolling.

Are you that desperate to get your post count up, really?

If anyone has an intelligent retort I'd be happy to hear it.

Ask a stupid question......................(you know the rest)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Who cares.

Ask a stupid question......................(you know the rest)

Well the answer is bound to be a stupid one if it's an answer to a rhetorical question. But hey, 1+ for effort.

Sergeant wrote: »
    Who cares.

This exactly. Thank you sir for illustrating the root of this problem.

Good night AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭talkinyite

theist = yes
    agnostic = maybe
    atheist = no

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

talkinyite wrote: »
    theist = yes
    agnostic = maybe
    atheist = no

Do you believe?
    Theist = Yes
    Atheist = No

Do you know?
    Gnostic = Yes
    Agnostic = No

Seachmall wrote: »
    Do you believe?
    Theist = Yes
    Atheist = No

Do you know?
    Gnostic = Yes
    Agnostic = No

Everything isn't as black and white as yes and no with agnostics, most don't believe they're capable of knowing and sit on the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

In the interest of finishing this thread up quickly OP, what do you define atheist and agnostic to be?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Everything isn't as black and white as yes and no with agnostics, most don't believe they're capable of knowing and sit on the fence.

Believing you're not capable of knowing is the same as not knowing, ergo you're an agnostic, and an atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

OSI wrote: »
    You realise there is a Christianity forum right?

There is also a feedback forum.

Believing you're not capable of knowing is the same as not knowing, ergo you're an agnostic, and an atheist.

that's why i liked his comment :p but no atheism and agnosticism aren't the same things at all, like believing and knowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

OSI wrote: »
    What's your point?

Is feedback not the place to discuss problems with boards and its moderation?

Was not having a dig at you by any means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

So there is a board about BOTH 'Atheism & Agnosticism', there could also be a board about 'Catholicism & Protestantism' are they the same, no, but there is a relationship. Agnosticism=One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism, Atheism=disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

But its very rare I meet a true atheist, in my eyes they are always more agnostic. Watch the post backs I get when I post about my atheism, that includes no such thing as luck, ghosts, higher purpose, spirituality (of any description) when I die it is the end of the world so why care anything about biological posterity.

Or you could be agnostic and believe in no God but higher purpose,,I don't.

OP I think you are being anal. If you were a true atheist you wouldn't care. I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Op is very easily offended. Sounds more like a muslim actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

that's why i liked his comment :p but no atheism and agnosticism aren't the same things at all.

Theist and atheist are opposite ends of belief. They make no claim to knowledge of said belief. They tell you what follows the words "in relation to the existence of god(s) I believe... "

agnostic and gnostic are at opposite ends of claims to knowledge. What muddies the whole issue is the fact that most atheists are agnostic and most theists are gnostic. Though not all are. People who say "id like to think there's something (in relation to deities)" would be agnostic theists.

Then you have people that claim to be right on the fence of theist/atheist and so describe themselves as agnostic but some of these people actually do hold a belief in one or the other but think the terms are gnostic in definition, so they refuse to answer on belief.

Then you also have ignostics which is what most people that describe themselves as purely agnostic probably mean.

Throw in terms like deist etc. and things can get messy! Oh and the op would have been allowed their say in the a& a forum imo. At the end of the day though, descriptors are just that, they mean to be shortcuts in conversation. I can tell you I'm an atheist and that should fill in blanks faster than telling you what I believe, think, feel and so on. As with any shortcut though it relies on both sides having the same understanding of the underlying definition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Food and Drink. Not the same grrr
    Snacks and Sweets, also not necessarily the same :mad:

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I can tell you I'm an atheist and that should fill in blanks faster than telling you what I believe, think, feel and so on.

WHY DO YOU HATE GOD?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Seachmall wrote: »
    WHY DO YOU HATE GOD?!

WHY DO YOU HATE HARRY POTTER, BOY WIZARD?

WHY DO YOU HATE HARRY POTTER, BOY WIZARD?

I love Harry Potter.

Check, and, Mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Don't get me started on the 'SciFi & Fantasy' forum. Now there's a pairing made in hell. Who in their right mind would mix swords in with rayguns? Pffft!

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

I'm not an atheist or theist but understand it's easier for theists to think in zeros and ones when labeling people so it's no biggy. I'll stay as unspecified or 'other' in the census :p

Advertisement