Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eircom To Block Users From Connecting To The Pirate Bay

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Eoinsheehy

Ranicand wrote: »
    Once they start blocking sites things will get worse fast.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/Internet_blackholes.svg

Blue No censorship
    Yellow Some censorship
    Red Under surveillance
    Black Internet black holes (most heavily censored nations)

We are already yellow.

Internet_blackholes.svg

F**k it that settles it I'm moving to the aisle of man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 PacketLife

Eoinsheehy wrote: »
    that still hasnt answered my Question if i a Proxy one will i be able to access TPB for the remaining time it is free without Eircom knowing

If you use a proxy served by an ISP that hasn't blocked TPB and TPB is up and functional then yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

PacketLife wrote: »
    Up to now I've agreed with everything that I have read that you have said, but OMG you couldn't have picked a worse example!

China is one of the very worst offenders for censorship: FACT!

I think you missed the point. People there CAN access anything due to Proxies & VPNs outside China. These can even be on private home PCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

weeder wrote: »
    tracker.thepiratebay.org is offline to me (timing out) could we have the block in place already?

Maybe, I'm the same, and other trackers are working. Can't ping the IP address from OpenDNS either.

I'd be interested to know how they can block this tracker if I'm bypassing their DNS server.

edit - I just read above - they can drop packets from any ip address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

vibe666 wrote: »
    personally, UPC if i had the choice, but as a UPC customer now i might be biased. :)

Don't UPC throttle torrents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Use http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

TBP have been intermittent the last while as suppliers cut them off.
    It's not just you! http://tracker.thepiratebay.org looks down from here.

Check another site?

That web site checking service is not blocked. But it only works I think for Web sites.
    It's just you. http://www.thepiratebay.org is up.

Check another site?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Well only about 15 hours to go before we know if and how its going to be totally blocked.

Watty I agree 100% with your statement and posted something similar myself earlier in this thread.
    Personally Ill be leaving Eircom if they implement this not because I use Piratebay but because Im not letting an ISP tell me what I can or cant look at on the internet.

Ill be sticking to my guns on this because I can just imagine what will come next.In theory Eircom could block anything that a person or company requests.I mean Fianna Fail might ask for the Politics section of boards.ie to be blocked after the next hammering they `ll get ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭rg2007

in light of the recent pirate bay downfall i thought we should say a prayer for all the leechers out there.

Our Ripper, who art on mininova, aXXo be thy name.
    Thy torrents come. Seeding will be done, Here as it was on supernova.
    Give us this day our latest rips.
    And forgive us our leeching, As we forgive those that leech from us.
    And lead us not on to private trackers;
    But deliver us from our ISP: For thine is the ripping, the seeding, and the glory, For ever and ever.

Amen…

PacketLife wrote: »
    If you use a proxy served by an ISP that hasn't blocked TPB and TPB is up and functional then yes.
    Thank you very much for clearing that up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Don't UPC throttle torrents?
    nope. well IMHO at least.

not for me anyway.

I'm a heavy internet user and a very heavy torrenter (downloading and uploading a total of over 200gb consistently every month on the 20mbps UPC package) and I can say that definitely 100% without any shadow of a doubt that I'm not being throttled in any way shape or form.

not to say i haven't experienced speed issues at peak times occasionally, but it seems like it's just been contention, not throttling or shaping of my torrent traffic. if you check the sticky p2p thread (page 53 iirc) you'll see that I downloaded a single torrent of an opensolaris CD ISO in less than 10 minutes via torrent at around 10:30pm in the evening.

that wouldn't have been possible if they were throttling torrent traffic. imho, people are mistaking contention at busy times for throttling because they are using crappy public trackers with poor seed/leech ratios and poorly configured torrent clients.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 theman

ElNino wrote: »
    That is totally incorrect. It was an out of court settlement and they could (and should) have refused to do so like most other ISPs in Ireland.

An injunction was granted on July 24th compelling eircom to block pirate bay, eircom didn't oppose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

The block is scheduled to take effect today. Has anybody noticed the effects of the block or any technical side effects yet? A full list of the URLs / IP addresses to be blocked is here.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Yep its blocked.
    ACCESS TO THIS IP ADDRESS RELATING TO THE PIRATE BAY WEBSITE HAS BEEN BLOCKED

WHY?

On the 24 July 2009, an Order was made by the High Court requiring eircom to block or otherwise disable access by its subscribers to the website thePirateBay.org, its related domain names, IP addresses and URLs. The Court was satisfied that on the basis of the evidence presented by the record companies that the PirateBay website is a website that facilitates the exchange of copyrighted sound recordings without the consent of the copyright owners.

eircom recognises the legitimate rights of the owners of copyrighted material and believes that individuals who share or download copyrighted material without the authorisation or the permission of the copyright owner are acting illegally.

The Order further provides that should the PirateBay website content be legitimatised in the future, then eircom has liberty to apply to the Court to have the Order vacated and access to the PirateBay website enabled.

eircom in compliance with the Order has agreed that access to the website the PirateBay.org, its related domain names, IP addresses and URLs from the eircom network will be blocked indefinitely from the 1st September 2009.

eircom would like to reassure customers that:

* eircom will not monitor customer’s activities at any stage, nor will it place any monitoring equipment or software on its network in order to facilitate this block.
    * eircom will not provide personal details or any information relating to customers to any third party, including the record companies.

O2 CUSTOMERS:

If you are an O2 customer and have any questions regarding this message, please contact O2 Broadband and Technical Support Team;
    From an O2 Mobile 1740 (19c per call)
    From an O2 landline 1850 60 1740 (10c per call)
    Email support@o2.ie

LEGAL DOWNLOADING:

There is an abundance of other websites that provide content without infringing the rights of copyright holders. For a list of some of those sites please look here.
    eircom has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the four major labels and is in discussions with them to develop an innovative new music service for eircom and non-eircom customers. This new music service is expected to launch in the next few months

FURTHER QUESTIONS

If you have questions or concerns that you would like to discuss please contact eircom broadband support on 1890 260 260.

eircom Limited. Private Company Limited by Shares. Registered in Dublin. Registration Number 98789.
    Registered Office
    1 Heuston South Quarter, St. John's Road, Dublin 8.
    © 2009 eircom. All rights reserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

It's working for me :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's working for me :D:D:D:D:D:D

Whose DNS are you using?

Question for the mods?

Now that its in place--Is discussing a way to circumvent the block against the rules?Before I ask that is :)

open DNS, but it's blocked on that. It's working with hot spot shield on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

open DNS, but it's blocked on that. It's working with hot spot shield on.

It's not blocked on the OpenDNS system. They're doing something more than just a DNS block then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Back to BT I go. Like most here I don't use TPB but damned if I'll stand for censorship. I don't see them blocking google which does the same job.

Ya, good point. I should do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Like a number of posters already, i dont use TPB but i also refuse to accept internet censorship............
    Does anyone know if its possible to leave\terminate my eircom contract, i signed up to a 3mb broadband bundle in january, 12 month contract.......51e a month..........

I see Vodafone are now offering a 7mb bundle for almost a tenner cheaper..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Question for the mods?

Now that its in place--Is discussing a way to circumvent the block against the rules?Before I ask that is :)

We can go as far as saying use a proxy, or SSH tunnel, etc, but suggesting alternative torrent sites is a no-no. Also, I don't think we should be putting up detailed instructions on how to circumvent it.

This is eircom's new policy, if you don't like it, move to one of the many alternatives that don't block sites.
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    Back to BT I go.

You mean Vodafone, you can't go back to BT anymore ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

jor el wrote: »
    You mean Vodafone, you can't go back to BT anymore ;)

Ah didn't see that. I don't see the 24mb offer on vodafone so am guessing that's no more? Anywho tomato tomato (that really doesn't work in text form), the priority to me is to let eircom know I'm not happy about their decision the only way they'll listen, by leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Seeing as eircom have decided to become censors as well as an ISP then they are accepting that they are responsible for illegal data that passes over their infrastructure. Nice one eircon.

MC

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I don't use TPB that often, but on occasion its the easiest to use when times must. So after looking about on the 'net I have found a very easy way of by bypassing the block and can now see TPB in all it glory. I'm obviously not going to post here how its done, but a bit of googling should sort you.......until Eircom block Google of course!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Just vpntunnel into it... although I'm wondering will this mean that all the TPB trackers will all be blocked? /cries

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

Tired to access the piratebay tracker and could not get a connection, so I assume that's blocked too...

Yah, it looks like the trackers are blocked too. It's easy to access the site, just use Google Translate and set the language translate option as some random language to English. But, that's useless, as you can't download because the trackers are blocked.

(If what I've said is inappropriate mods, I apologise and you can just delete this comment.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 enigmax

I'm enigmax from TorrentFreak and i'd like to run some Eircom tests but need an Eircom user to assist. If anyone can help me, that would be great..cheers!..enigmax[at]torrentfreak.com.

edit:thanks for the offers, doing tests now

• Advertisement

Just used a proxy and it cut through the block like warm butter so as normal Eircom, like we expected have done a half-assed job but for once I'm happy about that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement