Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shin Mrgami Tensei 5 might just be getting announced soon. The smt4 site. Got updated with some Twitter campaign about a new announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

hope it's better than SJ/4 if so, they were both huge steps backward from nocturne

Pac1Man wrote: »
    So, Xenoblade Chronicles. What would be the best way to play this? Reason for asking is Smyths are selling the 3DS version for 30 Euro at the moment. Is this a poor version of the game?

The other options are to spend upwards of 70-80 Euro on an eBay copy or else spend 20 on the WiiU eshop version but that means no physical copy.

Thoughts?

Be careful as if I'm not mistaken it's only for the New Nintendo 3DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Be careful as if I'm not mistaken it's only for the New Nintendo 3DS.

Yep, I gots me one of thems.

Further research suggests that the screen is a little too small which is unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Pac1Man wrote: »
    So, Xenoblade Chronicles. What would be the best way to play this? Reason for asking is Smyths are selling the 3DS version for 30 Euro at the moment. Is this a poor version of the game?

The other options are to spend upwards of 70-80 Euro on an eBay copy or else spend 20 on the WiiU eshop version but that means no physical copy.

Thoughts?

I would go the digital route, post strike and all that, be warned though you will need to put around 120-200 hours into the game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sieghardt wrote: »
    hope it's better than SJ/4 if so, they were both huge steps backward from nocturne

Really? SMT4 I thought was excellent but not a patch on Nocturne, which is kind of difficult when it's by far the best PS2 RPG. As for Strange Journey, I loved it. Dungeon crawling isn't for everyone but Etrian Odyssey got me into it big time and it was a great call back to the first person dungeon crawling originals.

It's looking more likely to be an update of SMT4, possibly for PS4 or more likely Vita.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Shin Mrgami Tensei 5 might just be getting announced soon. The smt4 site. Got updated with some Twitter campaign about a new announcement.

It is going to be a sequel to SMT 4 and set in the same world, 3DS only and the same team as SMT 4 but with Satoshi Oyama directing.

Xenji wrote: »
    It is going to be a sequel to SMT 4 and set in the same world, 3DS only and the same team as SMT 4 but with Satoshi Oyama directing.

I'd be happy with that. I just hope they actually make it challenging this time as well. It got way too easy after you left Naraku.

From the art it looks like you'll be playing as a group of tokyoites in the new smt4. Could be a prequel where you play as Akira maybe?

Story details here and also the surprising fact that the new SMT4 is 90% complete already:

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/10/06/shin-megami-tensei-iv-finals-first-details-on-story-and-characters/

• Advertisement

Story details here and also the surprising fact that the new SMT4 is 90% complete already:

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/10/06/shin-megami-tensei-iv-finals-first-details-on-story-and-characters/

Hopefully we will not have to wait 18 months to see it over here.

Hopefully we will not have to wait 18 months to see it over here.

*Caresses US 3DS*

*Caresses US 3DS*

I have one as well, if only I got my Wii U from there also.

The only worry I have for the WiiU is Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem missing a EU release but with Nintendo EU being a bit more progressive lately (other than the complete **** up of the SMT4 release) and the fact Nintendo are desperate for content I'd be pretty confident it will get a release. I just hope it's a physical one.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Took almost a year and 80 hours but have finished Persona 4 on Vita. Thought it got a bit dull near the end but it was a fun game to play when travelling. Not sure if I liked it more than 3, thought they were both fun. Need something else now and might try SMTIV.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

If only I hadn't played Persona 4 so much on the PS2, I can't convince myself to buy the PS Vita version.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

SMT IV is €9.99 on eShop right now.

My wallet is going to take a hit next week with Disgaea 5, Tales of Zestiria and Dragon Quest Heroes all coming out on the same date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I would go the digital route, post strike and all that, be warned though you will need to put around 120-200 hours into the game.

Agree I had the 3DS version and was very disappointed. They basically took the Wii version and dumped it onto the 3ds without adapting the UI to accommodate the second screen. Nothing worse than tiny text and unreadable map when the bottom screen is entirely blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Finally got around to playing Valkyria Chronicles 2. Had it for the PSP but was put off by the reviews and got it off PSN for about €3 so am playing on the Vita. It’s slow to get going and the maps can be a bit claustrophobic but overall it’s a decent strategy game. It lacks the plot and character of the original (so far anyway) but it maintains the distinctive art-style. The small maps interlink with captured bases where troops can be re-deployed making it a different animal form the original. What it loses in scale it makes up for in depth as there are now more squad customisations with branching job paths and more weapon upgrades etc. It’s still as easy/broken as VC1 as the ability to move the same overpowered unit again and again can cover for any missteps you might make.

I’m only about 10 hours in so maybe the plot and difficulty will pick up. Definitely worth getting if you like the PS3 game though.

• Advertisement

I'll always have a soft spot for VC2 since it kept me sane when I was writing up my PhD. Get up, go to college, come home at 11, play VC2 from 12-3am. Rinse and repeat.

I really enjoyed the game and loved the new units and complexity to the ugrade system. However I'd loved to have explored the multiplayer more which makes me hope for a PC port some time soon since it would make a great PC multiplayer game.

The game doesn't get too much more challenging, I completed all the missions and sub missions so I was well levelled up for everything. Be warned my final game file was 120 hours for the story mode, I know some people putting in 200+ for the post game missions.

As for the story, it's utter drivel, culminating in a Metal Gear Solid 4 beating moment of stupidity near the end involving colour blindness. Also I can't stand the main character, he's a complete idiot at the start of the game and doesn't change by the end. He just coasts along on the backs of everyone else and never makes an effort to improve himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Glad to hear there's plenty of playtime, nothing worse than building up a character/squad only to find you're at the endgame. Much prefer having some proper time to mess around even if it means you do half the game OP!

Yeah, the main character is such a tropey enthusiastic moron type. It's a good mechanic though that lets him swap between roles coupled with the fact that he always gains a heap of credits even if he does nothing in a mission meaning you're not limited in his upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Tales of Zestiria apparently is 30fps on both PC and console, strange. I'm pretty sure Vesperia was 60 and maybe even Abyss? I could be completely wrong.

While I have no intention of sparking off a 30FPS vs 60FPS flame war, I wonder what their motive was to not make it 60. Given current gen hardware etc I can't see why not. Battles and the like would have felt and looked great and more fluid with 60. Maybe it's at 30 for a technical reason?

Ramza wrote: »
    Tales of Zestiria apparently is 30fps on both PC and console, strange. I'm pretty sure Vesperia was 60 and maybe even Abyss? I could be completely wrong.

While I have no intention of sparking off a 30FPS vs 60FPS flame war, I wonder what their motive was to not make it 60. Given current gen hardware etc I can't see why not. Battles and the like would have felt and looked great and more fluid with 60. Maybe it's at 30 for a technical reason?

Vesperia and Graces were 60FPS and the battles in Xillia, Symphonia was originally 60FPS but the remake was 30FPS.

According to Bandai - Namco.
    The Tales of battle system has always been an integral part of the gameplay experience, and changing the framerate proved to have profound consequences on things like: animation, balance, difficulty, and overall fighting mechanics tuning. We do this in the best interest for the players’ experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Any of you get Disgaea 5? From a time and money perspective I have to be very picky these days with what I buy or don't buy so just looking for an opinion on it?

Just more Disgaea? Anything new or innovative?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have it ordered, but the sense I'm getting is that yes it is more Disgaea with plenty of minor refinements but nothing major. Given that seems to be the way with all Disgaea sequels, I'm sure you can make a reasonable decision over whether its for you or not!

Any of you get Disgaea 5? From a time and money perspective I have to be very picky these days with what I buy or don't buy so just looking for an opinion on it?

Just more Disgaea? Anything new or innovative?

I am picking it up, but I am not expecting much innovation besides a map editor, subclasses, revenge meters and a bigger item bag.

The Disgaea series has a habit of introducing new mechanics in one game and then scraping them in the next, such as monster mounts and innocents have been changed as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Whats the new dragon quest game like ?

Whats the new dragon quest game like ?

Should have it tomorrow, but the consensus has been very positive, its more Dynasty Warriors in its mechanics, but it looks visually beautiful, its head and shoulders above Hyrule Warriors.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Should have it tomorrow, but the consensus has been very positive, its more Dynasty Warriors in its mechanics, but it looks visually beautiful, its head and shoulders above Hyrule Warriors.

You getting it from vgp?

Advertisement