Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will Petrol be coming down here in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

The prices have come down a decent amount to be fair. I remember petrol being as high as 1.60 euro/litre... Shocking prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Only took me €58 to fill from a 1/4 of a tank instead of €75, nice saving there since it was 1.54 odd!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

This is the motors forum. It is not the place to be doling out advice on the economy. I don't think it benefits the forum and I think we could all afford to do without this focus.
    I understand that this was a taxing issue to write that post so I appreciate the allowance you have taken, but as I said think - it benefits no-one.

Yeah it seems only cheap/cheaper in certain places.

Worth noting that imo 1.20 odd per litre (while cheaper than it was) is not cheap.

It is not the place to be doling out advice on the economy. I love the pun!!!!!
    Yeah you are right, it's fun but not the right place.

If you want a shock, I remember in Finland petrol was a good 30 cent more than here. But then I did get 1000kms from my 2 litre petrol 1998 omega. No traffic and straight roads we need not lower fuel prices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Pov06 wrote: »
    The prices have come down a decent amount to be fair. I remember petrol being as high as 1.60 euro/litre... Shocking prices.

Think it was up at 1.70 at one point

• Advertisement

gsi300024v wrote: »
    Because I'd see the government as taking our money to spend and share out among us. So while more is been taken off us, more is than there to be shared out among us.
    So I suppose I would take calling it as being ripped off as not really true. We could say as motorist we'd prefer if we hadn't quite so much taken off us. But it's not like the money is taken and we see no benefit from it.

I think when you add in the ludicrous motor tax rates, people get annoyed at being one of the dearest Countries for Motoring in the World.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Going OT here, but Kerosene is going up by 2c tonight, presumably because of the falling euro (but brent is still dropping ?)

so i wouldn't be surprised if petrol/diesel saw a little increase as well

Prices ex-vat

Company Date Unleaded Diesel
    Campus 13/01 111.23 109.75
    ConPhil 13/01 100.31 98.30
    Topaz 10/01 110.17 109.60
    Esso 12/01 109.05 107.35
    Texaco 13/01 109.09 107.49
    Maxol 09/01 110.17 109.39
    Emo 13/01 112.79 112.06
    Morris 13/01 108.93 108.38
    Top 13/01 109.85 109.54

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Where is that? Those prices are a bit cheaper than normal

Jesus. wrote: »
    I think when you add in the ludicrous motor tax rates, people get annoyed at being one of the dearest Countries for Motoring in the World.

In Canada you have to pay tax on selling second hand cars too, ~I heard another place can't remember where, but there is a 150% tax on new cars I think it's Singapore, do really just assume that everything in Ireland is ****?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

In Canada you have to pay tax on selling second hand cars too, ~I heard another place can't remember where, but there is a 150% tax on new cars I think it's Singapore, do really just assume that everything in Ireland is ****?

Let's not have this discussion here please.

• Advertisement

Sorry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

pa990 wrote: »
    Going OT here, but Kerosene is going up by 2c tonight, presumably because of the falling euro (but brent is still dropping ?)

so i wouldn't be surprised if petrol/diesel saw a little increase as well

Esso 12/01 109.05 107.35
    Emo 13/01 112.79 112.06
    Top 13/01 109.85 109.54

what country is this from ?

Where is that? Those prices are a bit cheaper than normal

ex vat prices. (i've amended my post to reflect that )
    Obviously bulk buying gets it cheaper for the petrol stations, but its a good indicator as to the trend of prices

what country is this from ?

Ireland

see above post

Ireland

see above post

ok have ya now, but for the average Joe, no point in posting ex vat prices, we want the true picture.

ok have ya now, but for the average Joe, no point in posting ex vat prices, we want the true picture.

I've posted those weekly prices before,
    This time I just forgot to put the ex vat bit in.

Prices ex-vat

Esso 12/01 109.05 107.35
    Emo 13/01 112.79 112.06
    Top 13/01 109.85 109.54

Why would you post these prices ex-VAT, Pa?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Why would you post these prices ex-VAT, Pa?

Because he's taken it from the Platts Index which is ex vat due to it being trade prices

And for todays gold star award who can spot the big disparity with all these cost prices?

I think a while back petrol was always 10 cent dearer than diesel.

This gap seems to be getting smaller. in a maxol today, there was only 6 cent of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I think a while back petrol was always 10 cent dearer than diesel.

This gap seems to be getting smaller. in a maxol today, there was only 6 cent of a difference.

I saw a Maxol today with only a 4c difference, ours has a 6 difference.

• Advertisement

I saw a Maxol today with only a 4c difference, ours has a 6 difference.

interesting.
    I wonder will the price of diesel ever overtake petrol here in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭_Jumper_

interesting.

It did years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

interesting.

It used to be more and then the haulage companies kicked up so duty on it was reduced. That wasn't very many years ago.

I was reading something on why the Saudi's won't cut back on production to push the price up like they did before, one reason, they did before and lost market share, another, low price means Russian and Iran in the ****s, Saudi not big fans of these. Another is possibly that with low prices it help there be a lack of research into new ways to get the harder more expensive oil out of the ground.
    What happened to that popular notion of peak oil?

I was reading something on why the Saudi's won't cut back on production to push the price up like they did before, one reason, they did before and lost market share, another, low price means Russian and Iran in the ****s, Saudi not big fans of these. Another is possibly that with low prices it help there be a lack of research into new ways to get the harder more expensive oil out of the ground.
    It's still going to happen.
    Just not yet apparantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It's still going to happen.
    Just not yet apparantly.

Sometime between now and 2030 apparently, with some arguing that "conventional" light-and-sweet has already peaked.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Sometime between now and 2030 apparently, with some arguing that "conventional" light-and-sweet has already peaked.

I must admit that I thought peak oil had happened in 2010 when prices kept rising and rising, but recent events have proven me wrong.
    It must be remembered that the gross cost before tax is approximately 40-45 cents per litre - so we are nowhere near peak oil yet. Adjusted for inflation I would say that we currently are at a cheap ebb (pretax).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

The Saudi's will only do what suits themselves, hurting Iran/Russia is a side effect.

They're lowering the price so it makes U.S. shale oil less profitable to the point of them losing money to extract it.

Once that point is reached the supply will be reduced again and the price will go up.

They gave me one of those points cards in the petrol station yesterday.

Are they worth using or are you better off just continuing to shop around?

• Advertisement

They gave me one of those points cards in the petrol station yesterday.

Are they worth using or are you better off just continuing to shop around?

I use the Topaz points card, for the work vehicles, so i get my free gift every month.

But for my own cars and bikes, i use a fuel card for ESSO , from my credit union that gives 4c off a litre. no clubcard type point there.

Topaz petrol can be a few cents more expensive per litre, so if you need 200 points for a free coffee and pastry.. how much extra have you spent on 200 L to get that free gift ?

Advertisement