Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway car mechanic needed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Need mechanic in the city...preferably between parkmore and anywhere as far in as the lisbaun estate (ballybrit included). This is because of getting to work. It needs a service, but i know it needs a couple of jobs done at the same time. Got quoted on price from a company this morning and thought it was fairly expensive for a standard service. Was hoping id get sparks changed included in the price.
    Anyone dealt with the czech guy in lisbaun mentioned previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I went to the €99 service in ballybane industrial estate - sound guy there and granted I don't know a thing about cars but I'd been told by someone else that my lights dimming when I got the car started from stop was an alternator belt problem and he changed that for me with the labour included in the service, just charged for the part. (lights stopped dimming when I started the car too so it must have been the problem!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Xiney wrote: »
    I went to the €99 service in ballybane industrial estate - sound guy there and granted I don't know a thing about cars but I'd been told by someone else that my lights dimming when I got the car started from stop was an alternator belt problem and he changed that for me with the labour included in the service, just charged for the part. (lights stopped dimming when I started the car too so it must have been the problem!)

could you let me know who this crowd are...pm or otherwise. cheers!

Well, they're just called €99 auto service... they've got a bright yellow sign across from mcdonagh's hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Xiney wrote: »
    Well, they're just called €99 auto service... they've got a bright yellow sign across from mcdonagh's hardware.

Xiney, did you drop the car to them, or could you wait while it was being serviced?

• Advertisement

I dropped the car into them, they didn't have a waiting area.

They do have a couple comercials with sign writing on them though, I suppose this might imply a collection service or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭jkforde

Has anyone used Mike Higgins on the Headford Rd., on the right just before the castle going out? Still looking into getting my beloved bit of rust seen to and been told Byrnes are a-ching-ching and the motor ain't worth a that level of TLC!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Fiddlesnap

I'm between mechanics now that the legend Brenden in Shantalla has shut up shop. Anyone know a decent honest mechanic in Galway?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

anyone know what the average rate per hour in garages these days? ive been told main dealerships charge around €80p/h and my local guy (from price quoted to change a spring coil) is charging ~€60 p/h which I think is alot!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

fifib, ask in Motors.

Fiddlesnap, what car and work do you need done? Read this thread for recommendations already made. Nuns Island guys good imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭jkforde

Fiddlesnap, I got a recommendation on here before for a fella and he's very sound for basic mechanical repairs and he also has good contacts for work that he himslef can't do - he's up around Clonboo and works part-time at it. Brendan Divilly 087xxx (Mods, I got permission from Brendan to post his contact details but remove if it contravenes policy)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Best keep it to PM anyway, no offence.
    Btw, I used Brendan myself, seemed good. Bit tricky to find his house though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Does anyone know where i can bring my car to check a bearing on front wheel in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 deeds372

hey, Im about to buy my first car. Want a mechanic to have a look at it before I hand over the cash. It a semi-auto 99 Yaris, 50k miles. nct til 08/11. any recommendations?Im living on headford road. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

deeds372,

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

I'm looking for a mechanic that can help with a pre buying inspection on car(s). Someone who could come along would be great but I can bring cars in as well. It'd be fantastic if they work weekends...If you know of anyone and where they are and what they charge, please PM me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

im sure there is a thread about this but cant seem to find it. need my timing belt done and was told a rat ate through my maniford board so it stops the power so everyone thinks im a learner driver being overtaken by tractors. not that bad really but feels like it, anyone know where i would get it done as cheap as possible. its a fiat dublo 1.3 van

Merged with the big mechanic thread, have a read through it - lots of suggestions.
    If you can add what car/year it is maybe someone can help more.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Little My

Does anyone have a contact number for the mechanic on Circular Road?

I left my car with him but I think I took his number down wrong. So if anyone has it can you pm me with it as I can't find him on google or the golden pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭39steps

If so, call them on 524044

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Little My

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if anyone knows a good place to get a car serviced around Parkmore area? Would prefer to stay away from the main dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I'd recommend James Connolly beside the airport.

Loads of other Mechanics here: Car mechanic needed - Merged thread

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Hi Im looking for a mechanic in knocknacarra/Salthill to fit some new brake discs and pads. Does anyone know someone good out this side of the city?

Most of the suggestions seem to be for out the other side of the city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Ok So I bought a nice little car but I think it needs a new timing belt in the not so distant future. Going to have a new one fitted asap.
    Can anyone recommend someone who won't screw me over?!
    I have had a few good reports about the guy in Woodquay, can't remember his name..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Somebody on here recommended the one in Nuns Island, haven't used them myself. Get a few quotes. The labour involved depends on the car. Good idea to change water pump and idlers at the same time. Probably between 300-500.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Ouch!! Ya I had guessed as much. Got the car cheap so I really can't complain. As long as it doesn't break down in the mean time..

it depends on the car as mentioned.

a peugeot is one of the more difficult ones, IIRC. Opel Corsa is actually reasonable at around 300.

I go to the €99 auto service guy across from McDonagh's hardware in Ballybane. He's very good, he checked something out for me when I was worried about something and when it turned out to be nothing he didn't charge me a single cent. Pure gentleman, and knows what he's at as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

I got mine done the last day in Mileage tyres, just past Briarhill, it helps if you get the timing belt and pump yourself first though, you should be able to order that in Calbro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Anyone recommend anywhere? I'm around west side of the city but have to go accross to Briarhill tomorrow so somewhere out there would be fine too.

Cheers :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement