Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EU Could Cripple future graphics cards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Order from outside EU will be the answer I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Order from outside EU will be the answer I guess

That's what I recon. Or 3-4 way sli/cf setups will be a normal thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That's what I recon. Or 3-4 way sli/cf setups will be a normal thing.

Haha, that would be pretty funny with people having 4 7770s! As I mentioned in the other thread, I think that it's really just a way for the EU to open doors to fining these companies.

Monotype wrote: »
    Haha, that would be pretty funny with people having 4 7770s! As I mentioned in the other thread, I think that it's really just a way for the EU to open doors to fining these companies.

as stupid as it sounds, it might be the way to go... they say it should kick in in 2014, i presume it will be vital to stack up next gen cards so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Evidently the report makes no mention of an upper memory bandwidth limit so one wonders where NH are getting their info from.

It'll be interesting to see AMD's official statement on it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

We already order in games from Zavvi, Play.com etc. outside of EU and they also sell hardware; easy route around it already in place for the small category of gamers affected and for the great masses it will be positive change over all. Seems a bit of a storm in a glass moment to me honestly.

Nody wrote: »
    We already order in games from Zavvi, Play.com etc. outside of EU and they also sell hardware; easy route around it already in place for the small category of gamers affected and for the great masses it will be positive change over all. Seems a bit of a storm in a glass moment to me honestly.

Positive? by those new laws even 77** AMD series wont pass eu laws. and we know that that is low range cards.

Like was told before, current GPUs became a lot more efficient. The idle power consuption bacame very good, with more performance cards are taking less power then mid range from old gen.

they trying to make GPUs more green, but in a stupid way. The way it was going now was great. more performance and more power efficient. now they will chop off progress, cripple performance and wont even make it that greener.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Good, now maybe they can focus on becoming efficient.

Hopefully it'll pan out like when Intel switched from Pentium IV (fast, bloated) to Core.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,626 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This would also have a direct impact on professional graphics. What the hell are they thinking. Suddenly Airbus won't be able to replace or expand it's computer setup to include machines powerful enough to run it's CAD software, the kind of things engineers find handy to have when building an airplane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Overheal wrote: »
    This would also have a direct impact on professional graphics. What the hell are they thinking. Suddenly Airbus won't be able to replace or expand it's computer setup to include machines powerful enough to run it's CAD software, the kind of things engineers find handy to have when building an airplane.
    I know right? It's almost like the original article is total bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Good, now maybe they can focus on becoming efficient.

Hopefully it'll pan out like when Intel switched from Pentium IV (fast, bloated) to Core.

Not sure where you have got that impression, but you could scarcely be more wrong if you think that AMD and Nvidia haven't been. For example just three generations a HD7770 comprehensively beats a HD4870 in gaming performance, yet draws a slightly over half the power at full load (Roughly ⁓85W vs ⁓160W), and the idle power consumption has dropped five fold or even more from around 50W to well under 10W.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

marco_polo wrote: »
    Not sure where you have got that impression, but you could scarcely be more wrong if you think that AMD and Nvidia haven't been. For example just three generations a HD7770 comprehensively beats a HD4870 in gaming performance, yet draws a slightly over half the power at full load (Roughly ⁓85W vs ⁓160W), and the idle power consumption has dropped five fold or even more from around 50W to well under 10W.
    Oh, I see.

... so what's the uproar over, then?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Oh, I see.

... so what's the uproar over, then?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056072366&page=218

Crap tech journalism by Nordic Hardware as best I can tell, judging by the momentum this one has in spreading around the internet, it has the potential to rival the straight banana ban Euromyth one day :)

Plenty of tech sites like 3dGuru and Hexus.net have gone way down in my estimation this week by copying and pasting the original Nordic Hardware report without question.

See this thread from about post #3258 onwards (from about halfway down the page)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056072366&page=218

I see the original author has finally ammended his article, but he has left in the bit about his AMD "source" being worried about the new directives. Like I said on the other thread, now that even their most powerul cards can 'long idle' at a mere 3W, I am am fairly skeptical about this claim as well.

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/71-graphics/46718-eu-cripples-future-graphics-cards-exclusive-.html

Lolz at the line "Exactly what the "performance" and energy consumption quote looks like we don't know at the time of writing". Yes we do I found the correct document within 30 seconds using google.

Advertisement