Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone else playing Hybrid?

Options
  • 10-08-2012 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭

It's a real shoot in the arm for Microsoft's flagging summer of arcade and a hell of a lot of fun. It's a three on three arena shooter that takes the cover mechanic from Gears of War, but simplifies the action and movement. You fly from up and down from cover point to cover point in enclosed arena's, meaning there's no actually walking/running. Might sound restrictive but for me it's a great little spark of originality that makes the game stand out from the other identikit space shooters.

It's closer to the likes of Unreal and Quake in terms of gameplay but takes the rpg style level progression and killstreak rewards of newer shooters. You pick one of two factions at the start of the game - with only cosmetic differences - and your results and performance work towards an overall metagame that sees you claim territory and earn bonuses. Very similar to MechAssault 2 on the Xbox in that regard.

Defintely worth checking out the demo at the very least.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

I'm going to be doing a review on this and am looking for people to play with/against. If you want we can team up for the lolz sometime. Just give me a PM if you're interested. Defo looks interesting and potentially fun with a clan

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sure just add me - gamertag is Rob Velocity.

Seriously haven't enjoyed a shooter this much since Killzone 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

Sound I'll add you later. Yeah I've got to admit its quite refreshing from the generic FPS's of today's market. I really like the lack of emphasis on movement per se, and rather its more about tactic and waiting for your opponent to make a mistake and capitalize on it. Last FPS I played that I enjoyed this much was Timesplitters: Future Perfect. It's a damn shame more don't play it, but hopefully as reviews come out more will take the plunge because for the 1200MSP its absolutely worth getting in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Getting harder and harder to find a game. Still hugely enjoyable when you can, but it looks like the autumn release rush has dragged a lot of people away. Hopefully some DLC might kick some life back into the game.

Advertisement