Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your first sporting memories.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Barry McGuigan beating Pedroza in 1985 to win the World Title.

Wouldnt be a big boxing fan but remember sitting at home with my Dad and Uncle watching the fight with everyone going crazy when he won.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,274 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Hope you're proud of that one as a Liverpool fan

Why did you put a smiley after it? Odd post.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hope you're proud of that one as a Liverpool fan

Where in this thread did you see someone mentioning Heysel followed by Smiley Grin? Or did you just decide to add that in?

No Liverpool fan is proud of Heysel, one of the darkest days of the club, not only costing the lifes of many fans, but also resulted in the banning of English clubs from europe, caused by a stupid selfish minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

World cup in Argentina 1978, Mario Kempes became my hero. I was a running around in an argentina shirt for years after that.

even during the falklands war, which got me some funny looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

:rolleyes:Oh here we go

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:Oh here we go

Unfortunate as it may be, Heysel is still a sporting memory, as is Bradford, Hillsborough, and Munich.

K-9 mentioned it, but just as a memory, which is what the subject is, your the one who included the smily which appeared a paragraph later, and questioned his thoughts on it.

I didn't ask in my OP memorys that you were proud of, just memories, I only decided in mine to includ major world events. I dont remember Heysel my self, but only the repercussions of it. I remember Hillborough and being numbed by it, it was one of the first disasters I remember seeing on the TV, and which the repercusions continue today.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Unfortunate as it may be, Heysel is still a sporting memory, as is Bradford, Hillsborough, and Munich.

K-9 mentioned it, but just as a memory, which is what the subject is, your the one who included the smily which appeared a paragraph later, and questioned his thoughts on it.

I didn't ask in my OP memorys that you were proud of, just memories, I only decided in mine to includ major world events. I dont remember Heysel my self, but only the repercussions of it. I remember Hillborough and being numbed by it, it was one of the first disasters I remember seeing on the TV, and which the repercusions continue today.

He obviously edited for a reason, if it was a mistake the poster would have said so. His response clarifies the reason so I wouldn't bother. Strange, strange post and I've read a fair few!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Namlub wrote: »
    I wasn't even born in 1990

>_>

Me either :)

I was born much earlier than that :mad:

K-9 wrote: »
    He obviously edited for a reason, if it was a mistake the poster would have said so. His response clarifies the reason so I wouldn't bother. Strange, strange post and I've read a fair few!

The smiley face was in the original post after the poster mentioned all his sporting memories, I found that quite odd, I'm not getting into a debate about heysel so forget about it and get back onto people's sporting memories.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Espana 1982.
    Great world cup. I just watched a highlights programme on ESPN this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

summerskin wrote: »
    World cup in Argentina 1978, Mario Kempes became my hero. I was a running around in an argentina shirt for years after that.

even during the falklands war, which got me some funny looks.

Was it the brilliant O'Neils replica kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Ray Houghton's goal against Italy in 94, and possibly something to do with Sonia O'Sullivan beforehand? 92 Barcelona maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cork winning 1989 AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Euro 88' v England.Remember crying when we get knocked out by Holland.Been a football since then and can safely it's ruined my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Euro 88' v England.Remember crying when we get knocked out by Holland.Been a football since then and can safely it's ruined my life!

That sounds awful. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Cork winning 1989 AI.

I watched that game on tape countless times when I was young. Another one that slipped away!

The smiley face was in the original post after the poster mentioned all his sporting memories, I found that quite odd,

Fair enough, don't why you didn't bother to say that earlier instead of a sarcy reply.
    I'm not getting into a debate about heysel so forget about it and get back onto people's sporting memories.:)

No, you wanted to get a dig in first, then forget about Heysel and get back to an enjoyable thread.

Anyway irish-stew said what I'd say. I feel about as much guilt as somebody with a very loose connection to those "supporters" could, some whom weren't even club supporters but from other English clubs. I'd have huge sympathy for the victims though.

Fair enough, don't why you didn't bother to say that earlier instead of a sarcy reply.

No, you wanted to get a dig in first, then forget about Heysel and get back to an enjoyable thread.

Anyway irish-stew said what I'd say. I feel about as much guilt as somebody with a very loose connection to those "supporters" could, some whom weren't even club supporters but from other English clubs. I'd have huge sympathy for the victims though.

Like I said I'm not getting into a debate, especially with someone who has "don't buy the sun" in his signature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Niki Laudas crash at the Nurburgring (I think, I was only 3-4 years old when it happened so it may be a re-run I remember seeing). I vaguely remember watching the 1976 European Championship final with the great penalty in the shoot-out. Again I was young so it may have been a re-run.

I definitely did watch the 1979 FA Cup Final on the day, a neighbour knew Ashley Grimes who played for Utd. I cried like a baby when Alan Sunderland scored in the last minute. My family are all die-hard Reds and my obsession started for real that day. I also remember coming home from a party in a schoolfriends house in 1980 to be told that Utd had been beaten 6-0 by Ipswich and that Gary Bailey had saved two penalties........

Like I said I'm not getting into a debate, especially with someone who has "don't buy the sun" in his signature.

Full marks for making your point on this thread, a discussion would obviously be wasted anyway when you couldn't even have the manners to explain your earlier mistake without being sarcy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Standing on the terraces with my father in various falling down LOI grounds around Dublin in the early 80's

Too young to remember exact match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭gaf1983

We lived in Canada until I was seven, and I remember watching the Ireland - Romania game in Italia 90. My memory of that game was a vox-pop the TV station did on the streets of Genoa, and some woman predicted that it would finish Romania 5 Ireland 0. She was wearing an awful checked blouse.

We sure showed her!

Prior to Italia 90, I remember watching some game Maradona was involved in with my dad on TV.

Full marks for making your point on this thread, a discussion would obviously be wasted anyway when you couldn't even have the manners to explain your earlier mistake without being sarcy.

It wasn't a mistake but seriously, the thread is being ruined for everyone else by bickering. I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The World Cup 1978, it was amazing how much toilet paper was thrown by the Argentinian supporters :D

It wasn't a mistake but seriously, the thread is being ruined for everyone else by bickering. I'm out.

So your comment regarding Heysel was intentional?

And you wonder what started the bickering.

irish-stew wrote: »
    So your comment regarding Heysel was intentional?

And you wonder what started the bickering.

Seriously lads, build a wall and get over it.

Seriously lads, build a wall and get over it.

:eek: What a strange analogy given the stadium! Classy stuff.

Favourite sporting memories

Packie bonners penalty save against Romania at italia 90
    Man utds cup winners cup final win against Barcelona in 91
    The first premier league season and SKY
    John aldridges spat on the touch line at USA 94
    Man utds treble winning season of 99
    The champions league final of 99(still the best ever seen)
    The spirited performances of the Irish team at the 2002 world cup
    Steve Staunton(muppet)
    The premiership last season, best ever season in my lifetime

All football related because all other sports are sh1t

Advertisement