Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

cloud493 wrote: »
    Good exhausted or bad?
    girlonfire wrote: »
    How are you doing ashblag? Have the effects of the new meds settled down at all?

I'm a bit..well, I don't know what I am. Trying to distract myself from a b&p. Ugh:(

@cloud i dunno its a meds exhausted within an hour of taking that zispin im rendered useless. im then groggy and agitated have nurse calling to me tomorrow cant be going on like this.
    work also putting the pressures on now to get me back and im eating like a mother****er!

@girlonfire i think my above sentence answers your question x dont think this mix of medication is workingx
    how are you both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Are you going to tell her how your feeling?

I've been better. Started my PLC today, didn't go well. I mean, nothing bad happened, but I was panicking the whole day, felt sick, wasn't paying attention. Wish I wasn't doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Drink a gallon of water and go out for a walk!

Thanks. I should've done this, but I didn't. The urge has been building up over the past couple of days. I gave in. It goes without saying that I'm sorry now.
    ashblag wrote: »
    @girlonfire i think my above sentence answers your question x dont think this mix of medication is workingx
    how are you both?

Hopefully talking it through with the nurse tomorrow will help a bit. It's often a fair bit of time for my body to adjust to different medications, so it could be a case of needing more time. I know it's difficult to deal with though. Good luck with the nurse tomorrow.x

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Just want to say that a month has now passed since i presented myself to A&E (suicidal) in St. James, and still no appointment. I've tried my best to force the issue, phonecalls, even went to the hospital again to see if there was someone, ANYONE, i could talk to, as sh*t as i felt. They really know how to beat a dog that's already down. I won't give up on this though. I may not have the strength to fight it now, but one day i will, and they'll be made to pay for their incompetence

Hope everyone's well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

That is unreal manual_man, hope you hear from them soon. Have you asked your GP to keep on at them as well? Might help.

• Advertisement

Seren_ wrote: »
    That is unreal manual_man, hope you hear from them soon. Have you asked your GP to keep on at them as well? Might help.

I haven't. I'm going through the start-up effects of meds at the moment, feeling very down, and i'm afraid that the more i've fought to get something done, the worse i've felt. I have to look after my health. I have a good memory though. They won't be forgotten ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭VanZan

Can I ask some advice please? Usually I get ignored when I post on this thread but here goes anyway: I am taking Zyprexa since 2006. Previously I was taking Lustral but came off them of my own volition. It was the worst thing I could have done as it was shortly after that that I had a psychotic episode necessitating the Zyprexa. Recently I was feeling a lot more anxious so asked my GP if I could go back on Lustral as well as taking the Zyprexa. Ok so to cut things short the Lustral now aren't having the same effect as when I was taking it years ago. I remember having loads of energy and being a lot happier in myself and not dwelling on negative times in my past. To be honest they saved my life the first time around. This time however I still feel low in energy and generally lethargic. They seem to be having no discernible effect save for the fact now I have absolutely no internet in the opposite sex! I feel like I have been chemically castrated to be honest. Could the Zyprexa be negating the Lustral? They're the only thing different in the equation. I have asked my GP and he assures me this Lustral is what I was on before (even though the box and tablets are different). Anybody have any experience of this? You're probably going to suggest I talk to my GP again but I've tried and got nowhere. I've no one else to ask!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Maybe ask your pharmacist - they'd be up to date on side effects etc.

Bad day today & feeling ****ty :(

So nurse broke her appt today. Im not doing good today keeping those bad thoughts hidden xx hope all is ok with you all

Keep with it ash, you have the strength to do it. Bad thoughts suck but if they stay as thoughts they won't hurt as much :(

• Advertisement

Hersheys wrote: »
    Keep with it ash, you have the strength to do it. Bad thoughts suck but if they stay as thoughts they won't hurt as much :(

thanks hersheys x im off to take a bath to distract. take care all

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

VanZan wrote: »
    Can I ask some advice please? Usually I get ignored when I post on this thread but here goes anyway: I am taking Zyprexa since 2006. Previously I was taking Lustral but came off them of my own volition. It was the worst thing I could have done as it was shortly after that that I had a psychotic episode necessitating the Zyprexa. Recently I was feeling a lot more anxious so asked my GP if I could go back on Lustral as well as taking the Zyprexa. Ok so to cut things short the Lustral now aren't having the same effect as when I was taking it years ago. I remember having loads of energy and being a lot happier in myself and not dwelling on negative times in my past. To be honest they saved my life the first time around. This time however I still feel low in energy and generally lethargic. They seem to be having no discernible effect save for the fact now I have absolutely no internet in the opposite sex! I feel like I have been chemically castrated to be honest. Could the Zyprexa be negating the Lustral? They're the only thing different in the equation. I have asked my GP and he assures me this Lustral is what I was on before (even though the box and tablets are different). Anybody have any experience of this? You're probably going to suggest I talk to my GP again but I've tried and got nowhere. I've no one else to ask!

Found things similar myself - drugs take a while to work and talk therapy has helped in recent times. Keep on their case.. And keep posting here, sometimes you won;t get a response but don't mind that most of us vent here.. PM me if you want..

These dreams really need to stop :( I can't continue with these for much longer :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Hi,

I've had similar experiences with meds. All I can say to you is that what I've figured out is that its my body/brain that has changed over time, not the meds.

Maybe my brain gets used to certain meds over time and they don't work as well as they once did.

Each brand affects different people in different ways. They can take up to 2 to 3 months to kick in to do their thing.

Keep a note of how you are feeling and bring notes to your doctor, so you can show them.

I am lucky I have a fantastic doctor. But you have to really keep talking to them, if you are miserable, maybe different meds might work.

Best of luck :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Felt like I was having a bit of a panic attack last night and have been feeling stressed and worried/anxious all week since the doctor wanted to do some blood tests. Most of them are back now and they're completely normal so far which is good but I still woke up feeling a bit stressed and nervous this morning for some reason.

Then a funny thing happened. I was sitting on my bed and I remembered a book I had found in my drawer last weekend when I was looking for some receipts. The book was The New Testament and Psalms, which is something we were given in secondary school. For some reason I decided to take it out to look at it and read a bit of it. In the contents pages it has a list of things to read at various points, like if you are depressed, anxious, and so on. The first one I read kind of spoke volumes to me and almost straight away I felt better. For those of you who might want to check it out for yourselves, it was Matthew 6:25-34. I don't know what version will come up if you google it, I think there are different translations but the one in the book I have is the New International Version.

I thought I would mention it here seeing we were talking about spirituality books like The Power of Now and I felt it was worth sharing in-case it helps someone else too.

Hope we all have a good day :)

Hersheys wrote: »
    These dreams really need to stop :( I can't continue with these for much longer :(
    this happening to me too hersheys keep dreaming about people i love dying really vivid horrible dreams. I never used to remember my dreams before

I was taking meds for the dreams and I came off them (doc told me to) and the meds seemed to help a little, I wasn't as bad on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

My sleep hasn't been great. My appetite is gone now too and the breathin is a bit shallow. Sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Headhog

Sometimes antidepressants don't work the same the second time around. If they're the same tablets just check the generic name of the medicine (sertraline) on the box/leaflet. It could just be a different manufacturer. Pharmacists will give out generic meds sometimes as they are slightly cheaper than brand names.Are you on the same dose as before? Maybe your dose needs to be increased or you need to be changed to a different antidepressant. They can also take up to 3 months before you feel any effect. How long have you been on the combination of Zyprexa and Lustral? Sexual side effects are a big problem with antidepressants and are one of the major reasons I decided to come off mine. Often side effects kick in first before the medication starts to work as well. As far as I know combining Zyprexa and Lustral is effective for the management of psychotic depression, or at least its supposed to be, but if you've been on them for a while and you're not happy ask your doctor to change them you're in charge not them and you know what is and isn't working for you. If you're getting nowhere with your GP change to a different one or at least get a second opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Lustral became ineffective for me about a few years. It was a great drug to start with as I had no side effects. But about two years ago, we realised that it wasn't making *any* difference - positive or negative. Changed to zispin - nightmare! and then to Cymbalta which is great.

IMO how we tolerate meds depends on more than the drug itself, its about how we are at the time and how our lifestyle, diet, stress levels, anxiety, depression etc are. I think thats how I can take seroquel one day and it doesn't knock a feather out of me. And then take another day and I sleep for fifteen hours without waking!

Definitely talk to your dr. You might also consider talking to a consultant. They work with these meds way more than GPs and are more confident in changing them, and with what works in combination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

Hi guys,
    Just back from the doc and to cut a long story short:

I was on anti-anxiety meds a year or so ago, starting with Lexipro and moving to Effexor. I found they helped very little if at all so stopped (i know, not a good idea!). Anyway, since then I have tried 1 on 1 therapy, group therapy, NLP and Hypnosis but none seem to help. Worrying thing is, what became my major help and crutch was/is alcohol. Im starting college on Monday and the thought of using alcohol 5 days a week as a crutch for 3 years is terrifying and put simply, chances of my liver holding out that long would be very slim! Anyway, I went to the doc as i had heard great things about Xanax from friends and that it can be very helpful. However the doctor told me that he cannot prescribe it long term and gave me a 2 week supply. My question is, has anyone been on it longterm before? In certain circumstances can it be prescribed? Obviously I dont know how it will work for me yet as only got it today but Im basically in a position these days that I cant leave the house for any extended period of time without taking a drink before I go and that is no exaduration. Surely the doctor would see (if the pills help) that a longer term on Xanax would be far less destructive than going back to what I was using, or would he be tied by law/oath etc? Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Headhog

Fandango wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Just back from the doc and to cut a long story short:

I was on anti-anxiety meds a year or so ago, starting with Lexipro and moving to Effexor. I found they helped very little if at all so stopped (i know, not a good idea!). Anyway, since then I have tried 1 on 1 therapy, group therapy, NLP and Hypnosis but none seem to help. Worrying thing is, what became my major help and crutch was/is alcohol. Im starting college on Monday and the thought of using alcohol 5 days a week as a crutch for 3 years is terrifying and put simply, chances of my liver holding out that long would be very slim! Anyway, I went to the doc as i had heard great things about Xanax from friends and that it can be very helpful. However the doctor told me that he cannot prescribe it long term and gave me a 2 week supply. My question is, has anyone been on it longterm before? In certain circumstances can it be prescribed? Obviously I dont know how it will work for me yet as only got it today but Im basically in a position these days that I cant leave the house for any extended period of time without taking a drink before I go and that is no exaduration. Surely the doctor would see (if the pills help) that a longer term on Xanax would be far less destructive than going back to what I was using, or would he be tied by law/oath etc? Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks all.

I was on xanax for 6 years up until recently. They're an amazing drug for dealing with anxiety. The problem with them is that after a few months you build up tolerance to them so your dosage has to be increased. Then eventually after upping and upping dosage they start to lose their effectiveness and anxiety returns. Besides that they are so easy to get addicted to. Thats what happened to me anyway. And believe me the withdrawals from them are horrific, so bad I've been out of work since July cos of them. I actually turned to alcohol as a crutch after stopping the xanax but i had to try knock that on the head. Just over a week off it now. Honestly I don't know what the solution is as I'm still struggling with the anxiety. Exercise has helped a bit and eating properly, cutting down on caffeine etc. Please be really careful with xanax/valium or anything like that I wouldn't wish what I went through to my worst enemy.

Are you off the Effexor completely do you mind me asking what dose were you on, did you get withdrawals after coming off? I'm trying to get off them at the minute I think they are useless but withdrawals from them are horrible, mainly these electric shock sensations in my brain and eyes

You sound very similar to myself I can totally relate to the being terrified to leave the house thing without a drink or a tablet or something its a really awful feeling and very few people understand it if you try to explain it (although I tend to try and hide it from people because Im embarrassed about it)

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

Headhog wrote: »
    I was on xanax for 6 years up until recently. They're an amazing drug for dealing with anxiety. The problem with them is that after a few months you build up tolerance to them so your dosage has to be increased. Then eventually after upping and upping dosage they start to lose their effectiveness and anxiety returns. Besides that they are so easy to get addicted to. Thats what happened to me anyway. And believe me the withdrawals from them are horrific, so bad I've been out of work since July cos of them. I actually turned to alcohol as a crutch after stopping the xanax but i had to try knock that on the head. Just over a week off it now. Honestly I don't know what the solution is as I'm still struggling with the anxiety. Exercise has helped a bit and eating properly, cutting down on caffeine etc. Please be really careful with xanax/valium or anything like that I wouldn't wish what I went through to my worst enemy.

Are you off the Effexor completely do you mind me asking what dose were you on, did you get withdrawals after coming off? I'm trying to get off them at the minute I think they are useless but withdrawals from them are horrible, mainly these electric shock sensations in my brain and eyes

You sound very similar to myself I can totally relate to the being terrified to leave the house thing without a drink or a tablet or something its a really awful feeling and very few people understand it if you try to explain it (although I tend to try and hide it from people because Im embarrassed about it)

Thanks for the reply. Problem is that you build up a tolerance for alcohol also! I have been off Effexor for about a year (maybe 2 years) now. I was on 150mg a day and found the anxiety came back with a vengance when I stopped them. I think i know what you mean about the shock sensation on the eye, sorta feels like the muscle underneath is constantly twitching? I have had this for 8 years now and been out of work for 6 years. Did a FAS course around 3 years ago but my condition has gone downhill alot since then. Barely managed that but without some serious help I honestly cant see myself lasting this course. I know what you mean about people not understanding it. The amount of times ive been asked can I not just suck it up and get over it/Whats the worst that can happen etc etc. Really annoys me at times but I suppose if you dont have a chronic case of it, you cant understand how bad it can be.

Got a phonecall from the hospital today 32 days after i presented myself to A&E. Told a form was being sent to my house which i'd have to sign and send back, and i MIGHT get an appointment in a week or two. I'm in a heap. Some bs that i have to consent to being transferred from private to public care, and THIRTY TWO F*CKING days it took them to be able to tell me this. I'm really on the edge. I feel like i'm going to lose it. I don't know if i can handle this anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Joe Duffy!

Not even joking.

banquo wrote: »
    Joe Duffy!

Not even joking.

Thanks. I feel somewhat calmed down now. I sent an e-mail (to Joe) there. Not sure if i'll hear back. But at least i did it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I didn't realise Xanax was addictive until I either read on here or someone told me that doctor's usually don't prescribe more than about a 2 week dose at any one time. I was at a different doctor recently and she prescribed me Zyprexa. She was saying it's good for handling really stressful/panicky situations and it's not addictive. I don't know what it's like to be on long-term and I usually don't take more than 1 or 2 a week but maybe it might be worth talking to your doctor about.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭stoppress

Well I am just getting up to speed with the others here on this thread.
    Sorry no great advice or words off wisdom to help.
    I myself have been in the mental health system for nearly 2 years now, currently on seroquil and cymbalta.
    I must say I have very little regard for shrinks or psychiatrists as they give you 10 minuets and just ask naff questions that can be quiet unsettling. Far better going private and hiring a counselor or therapist.
    As for the meds the system hand out, gain lots off fat and kills your libido stone dead.

I'm not able for these dreams. I'm seriously not, each night they just get worse & worse.

Anyone any tips on dealing with them & their aftermath?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

@Hersheys

Meditation. I used to be totally skeptical but you can't mock the results.

Google a book called Full Catastrophe Living. The shizz.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement