Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Microsoft doesnt want you to upload footage of its games to youtube, etc.

• 15-10-2012 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭

Taken from www.gamasutra.com :
    Microsoft has updated its "Game Content Usage Rules", describing what gamers can legally use in terms of gameplay footage, screenshots, music and other elements from Microsoft video games.

The list, found on the Xbox website, details various scenarios and caveats that the company says users must take note of before using assets from games like Halo and Forza in their videos and for other entertainment purposes.

On items featuring assets from Microsoft games, for example, users must now include the following clause either on a website containing the content, or at the start of a video, with a link to the rules:

"[Name of the Microsoft Game] © Microsoft Corporation. [The title of your Item] was created under Microsoft's "Game Content Usage Rules" using assets from [Name of the Microsoft Game]. It is not endorsed by Microsoft and does not reflect the views or opinions of Microsoft or anyone officially involved in producing or managing [Name of the Microsoft Game]. As such, it does not contribute to the official narrative of the fictional universe, if applicable."

Elsewhere, the newly stated rules say that the names of Microsoft's video games may not appear in the title of videos, on YouTube or otherwise......

Full story here

Basically MS wants to stop people making money from uploading walkthroughs, reviews or what not to Youtube etc. Personally I don't agree with that. I enjoy watching the likes of Classic Game Room on youtube. I some how cant help but think other gaming companies are going to enforce this too.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Always thought that kind of stuff was harmless, myself. We do some video playthroughs over at HSN. We don't make a dime out of it, just do it for fun really. It would be a shame to get clamped down. On the other hand, I also enjoy watching games reviews from regular gamers (as opposed to big site reviewers), and I even love watching silly shows like Angry Video Game Nerd. I'd imagine AVGN makes a few quid out of it though.

On the other hand, adding a clause ain't that bad.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Taken from www.gamasutra.com :

Full story here

Basically MS wants to stop people making money from uploading walkthroughs, reviews or what not to Youtube etc. Personally I don't agree with that. I enjoy watching the likes of Classic Game Room on youtube. I some how cant help but think other gaming companies are going to enforce this too.

Thoughts?

Where does it say they don't want people uploading game footage?

The disclaimer is fair enough, a bit pointless as nobody ever reads them, but still fair. Not allowing people to use the name in the video title seems a bit OTT though. Both of these are nothing compared to what the end of the article says:
    "Notably, the rules also state that if a user creates something new in a Microsoft game's universe using Microsoft's assets, this automatically grants Microsoft a license to use the content "without obligation to pay you anything, obtain your approval, or give you credit."

"This means that if you add to the game universe or expand on the story told in the game with 'lost chapters' or back story or anything like that, distribution of your story or idea may appear in a future game without any compensation to you," says the company. "It also means we can put your Item on a Microsoft site or property like Halo Waypoint if we want to."

That's the part that worries me. Microsoft can basically use fan created ideas and content if it uses their assests. I wonder what the legalities of it are.

But you are incorrect, nowhere does it stop people uploading videos of Microsoft games to youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

People can still upload but they can't monetise videos containing MS content. I can understand them wanting to protect their content but these videos help sell their games at the same time. Partners who upload multiplayer games for example won't bother with Halo 4 cause they don't get any money out of it. You would be amazed at how many people would be persuaded to buy a game because their favourite youtuber liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

deathrider wrote: »
    Always thought that kind of stuff was harmless, myself. We do some video playthroughs over at HSN. We don't make a dime out of it, just do it for fun really. It would be a shame to get clamped down. On the other hand, I also enjoy watching games reviews from regular gamers (as opposed to big site reviewers), and I even love watching silly shows like Angry Video Game Nerd. I'd imagine AVGN makes a few quid out of it though.

On the other hand, adding a clause ain't that bad.

I'm divided on the subject...

On one hand Microsoft has the right to do what they want with their products and even to put a clause in that states they are the only one to make money. Its their product after all.

.. But on the other hand I like watching some people's channels on youtube.

I think this just may become the standard now. That in a few years you wont be able to upload any video game footage. Which would suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Where does it say they don't want people uploading game footage?

The disclaimer is fair enough, a bit pointless as nobody ever reads them, but still fair. Not allowing people to use the name in the video title seems a bit OTT though. Both of these are nothing compared to what the end of the article says:

I watched a gamespot news video today. Tried to find it when creating the thread. It better explains things. I'll try to find it again ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Personally, I have noted a strong correlation between "seeing Microsoft game" and "not having the slightest interest in buying Microsoft game." Sounds like a good policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

This has already been done, by facebook, by lucas arts, infact afaik lucasarts were the firsts ones to do it with all the fanfic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

No problem with stopping people making money off of it. Afaik, YouTube don't pay a lot anyway in that regard, so it wouldn't stop a lot of people from doing it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,547 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thoughts?
    Technically speaking this might have happened all along. But nobody really regulated the internet about it.

When you think about it, Prima has to pay royalties to the publishers of the games it creates walkthroughs for. Just because it's on a shelf, in paper, making money does not mean it isn't analogous to someone making a video series on youtube and getting up on the youtube agreement to get a cut of advertising revenue. The only difference is Prima pays for the privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That's the part that worries me. Microsoft can basically use fan created ideas and content if it uses their assests. I wonder what the legalities of it are.
    I'm sure that happens anyway. Script meeting: What do people want, lets just do what everybody wants so we can appeal to the majority and make loads of money.

There's obviously some lawyers trying to justify their wage packet by coming up with these irrelevant and completely obvious points. Any reasonable person would tell them this is a pointless and stupid move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

This would seem to mean that any and all game review sites are forbidden from showing any content on their websites if they have any ads on their website (eg; gamespy).

Can see this ending badly for MS.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

the_syco wrote: »
    This would seem to mean that any and all game review sites are forbidden from showing any content on their websites if they have any ads on their website (eg; gamespy).

Im sure that exceptions for review sites etc are gonna be made like they have already done for RedvsBlue and Machinima.com

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

The article appeared a couple of days ago on eurogamer and they had an update to it from one of the devs from 343 Industries

tl;dr - "The rules are basically the same," Halo dev responds

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-10-microsoft-slaps-down-user-creation-rules-for-machinima-videos-fanfiction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Wonder if this is in light of Halo and Forza being leaked week ahead of release :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,547 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

calex71 wrote: »
    Wonder if this is in light of Halo and Forza being leaked week ahead of release :confused:
    Undoubtedly.
    the_syco wrote: »

Such sites usually get rights reservation from the content provider.

Advertisement