Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Torrent users beware

• 11-04-2005 8:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭sillild

http://www.unison.ie/business/stories.php3?ca=80&si=1374284

Music downloaders face hefty fines in piracy crackdown
    Sunday April 10th 2005

NICK WEBB

HUNDREDS of music downloaders and file sharers could be prosecuted in a devastating crackdown on internet piracy unleashed by the majorrecord companies.

People who have illicitly downloaded songs including U2's Vertigo and Paddy Casey's Saints and Sinners could face fines of up to €5,800 if prosecuted. This could include the parents of children who have spent hours on the internet pirating songs for iPods or creating their own CDs, echoing the case when a 12-year-old New York school girl, Brianna LaHara, was sued by US record companies in late 2003. The Irish Record Music Association (IRMA), which represents the record companies, has prepared affidavits against close to 20 individuals, who are alleged to have distributed or "uploaded" shared files or illegally pirated music on the internet. Up to 250,000 people are thought to have illegally downloaded music here last year, according to IRMA data.

It is understood that the first 20 or so cases will be taken against these uploaders, but that a concerted campaign over the next three years will target more casual file sharers, with sources suggesting that "hundreds and hundreds" could be pursued.

IRMA is set to go to the High Court to force Irish internet service providers to divulge the identity of the initial 20 targeted internet accounts used for uploading the pirated music. In December, IRMA hired a US spy firmto monitor internet traffic from Ireland downloading thousands of specially selected tracks, ranging from well-known Irish acts suchas U2 and the Corrs to hip hop stars such as Eminem and 50 Cent.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Shouldn't the subject be "People who copy copyright material beware" ?
    After all there's nothing inherintely wrong with using torrents or bittorrent in general...well its true. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Thats disgraceful. LoL, wonder am i one of those 20, ha ha. Just to be sure, any suggestions on how to get away with this if u are one of these peep's, ha ha. I reckon everybody delete everything, throw out your hard drives, lol

More serious note, what file sharing networks are being targeted?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

It is possible to download music from the internet?!?!?!? That's news to me! :eek:

(I'm preparing my defense)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I can understand The Corrs and U2 but who the hell downloads Eminem and 50 Cent songs? :eek:
    EDIT: hmm I guess teenagers...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Cabaal wrote:
    I can understand The Corrs and U2 but who the hell downloads Eminem and 50 Cent songs? :eek:
    EDIT: hmm I guess teenagers...

yep, and they are the once that usually get cought, cause they couldn't care less about being careful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

is any of whats mentioned there covered under irish law?

last i heard irma or irfu or whaterver their called couldnt even figure out how to receive the money from eircom/itunes so that they could legally sell songs,

surely this is just a bit of scaremongering now that broadband sppeds are 4x and everyone and their monkey can download the new u2 album while their waiting for a bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Neither me nor my monkey like U2, so I'm safe...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Are you sure it is "Torrent Users"?

What about all the other P2P clients????

I would have thought that Kazaa users would have
    more to be worrying about.

Shiny wrote:
    Are you sure it is "Torrent Users"?

What about all the other P2P clients????

I would imagine its file sharers in general using edonkey, kazaaaaaaaaa ETC :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

In your expert opinion, would soulseek users be included ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

What if you didn't download pirated music and you believe your computer must have been hacked into, what happens then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Dr_MalPractice

fintan wrote:
    What if you didn't download pirated music and you believe your computer must have been hacked into, what happens then?

then You're wel and truly boned :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

This has been in the pipeline for years.

That's what the likes of
    Freenet and GNUNet have been designed to withstand.
    Total anonymity, warts 'n all.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Ruhan

Quick, open all your ports, go publish your ip to every board, newsgroup, and channel you can find, and state what content you have on your computer to said groups.

Report the results here please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

CyberGhost wrote:
    yep, and they are the once that usually get cought, cause they couldn't care less about being careful
    What magical solution do you have to stop people from getting your IP address from other people in a torrent swarm? I used to try and use PeerGuardian but that just made my computer over heat and slow to a crawl, surely there is a quick and easy way to block suspect addresses?

The new version of peerguardian takes up half the memory it used to. Give it a go.

Anyone got an ip range for IRMA? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I'm sure they have that company in New York, whatever it's called, do the work. They must make a fortune.

Of course, you're not going to turn up many results in Ireland anyway - because not enough people have broadband...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Shouldn't that read "Music uploaders face hefty fines in piracy crackdown".

I wouldn't worry too much, particularly if you've been using Bittorrent.

Though it is time to put your hands up and accept that the days of pirate digital information are coming to an end. It was nice while it lasted, but we all knew it was wrong deep down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Yah, seamus - I thought that was the case too - it's music uploaders that they are after ... twas the illegal sharing & distribution that they are targeting, and not downloaders??

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

tinkerbell wrote:
    Yah, seamus - I thought that was the case too - it's music uploaders that they are after ... twas the illegal sharing & distribution that they are targeting, and not downloaders??
    Well, as far as I know, it's not illegal to be in possession of the material, unless it can be proven that it was fraudulently obtained. There may also be grey areas regarding downloading stuff that you already own, or that you have owned - for example, I ordered the new Green Day album on CD online, then downloaded the music waiting for it to arrive.

Distribution and/or sharing of music though is cut-and-dried illegal, so it's easier to target. It's also a better straegy, like drugs - attack the dealers, not the users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

seamus wrote:

Though it is time to put your hands up and accept that the days of pirate digital information are coming to an end. It was nice while it lasted, but we all knew it was wrong deep down.

BT is the main one they'll be targetting, since it's so transparent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭skkatter

I wonder what percentage of these users they are hoping to sue are under 18? What happens then, their parents get sued? Case is dropped? Kid has to give IMRO 75% of their pocket money for the next 25 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

The parents will be forced to pay the fine.
    Though it is time to put your hands up and accept that the days of pirate digital information are coming to an end.
    Can't say I've noticed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

I suppose this means I'll have to stick to the legal ways of getting files from now on like allofmp3 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

everyone who is engaging in similar activities should really think about using protowall or peer guardian or anohter peer protection utility

just incase ya know

dont know much about it myself :p

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GavinJCD

It's been proven many times that the record labels don't lose nearly as much money as they say they do to downloading. Here is one such article...

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050410-4795.html

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

Plus CD sales in Ireland went up after that 20% drop. And they don't even have procedures in place to measure revenue from online sales from the likes of play.com and iTunes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

They should just get lost with these stupid lawsuits. They're not helping anyone and the only thing they'll acomplish is making themselves hated by everyone. They're only in this to exploit people for as much money as possible. Greedy bastards. At least this makes me feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Infini wrote:
    They should just get lost with these stupid lawsuits. They're not helping anyone and the only thing they'll acomplish is making themselves hated by everyone. They're only in this to exploit people for as much money as possible. Greedy bastards. At least this makes me feel better.
    Yeah. Who do they think they are trying to protect copyrighted material and stopping people breaking the law. Shame on them.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

seamus wrote:

Your probably right. The only people that would be generally at risk would be those who are constant seeders.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings! :cool:

Advertisement