Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alexander

• 11-01-2005 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

After 4 days on general release, I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. Has anyone gone to see it? Is it as big a turd as the US reviewers are saying, or are there any redeeming factors?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

TmB wrote:
    Has anyone gone to see it?
    Is it as big a turd as the US reviewers are saying,
    or are there any redeeming factors?

Yes
    Yes,
    Only redeeming factor is that you get a chuckle when Mick Lally appears on the screen.

I want my €7.50 back! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

i read a thread yesterday on it called alexander the deadly

personnaly i think that if anyone was to listen to the american critics should be shot!!

come on the americans don't like anything thats around longer than them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

If you've read my post on it, you'd know what i thought.

It was terrible, to long and didn't keep the audiances attention. I dont think it was well casted, as for colin farrel, he did alex. no justice. and the irish accents? whats up about that, ****in hell miley from glenroe was in it, not for long tho. And if you go to see it, watch angalina jolie, she hardly ages in it at all, at one stage colin is meant to be like 30 and she looks about 35-40?? explain?? and the battle scenes were terrible, far to jumpy and hard to see what was going on... I could ramble on about it more, but i wont, unless you want :D:D:D

Thanks for readin, sorry about the rany1 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Wolff

I saw it at the weekend and thought it was vgood not brilliant - but the battle scenes were - full of confusion and carnage.

The accents are as far as i can make to diferentiate between the greek and Macaedonians

Ie Aristotle has a english accent and Alexander has an Irish accent

Seems also to be quite accurate historically, the only problem is the script and editing are a bit ropey

It has come in for a lot of unfair criticism one person even said the story was crap

Maybe he wanted set in outer space !

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭allin-king

went to the premiere expecting it to be ok, turned out to be the worst film ive ever seen and it seemed everyone else was saying the same thing.

i'm not a big film buff but it was so stupid with the actors having irish accents and generally annoying me

at least the post premiere party was brilliant and met all the stars (angelina jolie is stunning)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭neoB

I can say i wanted and still *WANT* :D my money back as well. I only waited it out to see what was going to happen.... all thru the movie heres me thinking "when is this **** going to end???"

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

flyz wrote:
    Only redeeming factor is that you get a chuckle when Mick Lally appears on the screen.(

Damn it! I would have loved being surprised by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Trip Hazard

Why is everyone so bloody mean to this film, i enjoyed it. who cares about the accents, would you have preferred everyone have an american accent or cockney english. the only other alternative is have them specking greek and be subtitled.Angolina Jolie's accent was great by the way, some of the camera work was shaky but im gonna assume it was intentional to add to the mood of the battle scenes, which were great by the way. i especially loved the use of the red tinting on the battle in India, where SPOILER: Alexanders horse gets killed and he gets floored by the arrow, which i thought was Mr. Stones greatest piece of directing in the whiole film, you know with the elephant and the horse and the slow motion. genius. but in a nut shell i would consider this a good piece of film making, i haven't seen troy so i cant really compare, i'll post something again when i do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

It wasn't great by any standards, accents didn't bother me one bit though. Why not have an irish accent, it's as good as any other.

bit too long, bit slow, I'd wait for it to come out on terrestial tv and record it (but not over a good film), if I could go back in time and not see it in the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Nybras

I ‘m going to pass on this one.
    I am waiting for Ridley Scott “Kingdom Of Heaven”. He did Gladiator really well. So this proves whom the better director is. Olli Stone is over rated, and Colin is a twat. He has no presence like Russell Crow. :D

As I've been working from home, I sometimes like to have long epic type movies on in the background, Ben-Hur being the classic example.

For some reason Alexander popped into my head. I vaguely remember watching it at the time and finding it shambolic and incoherent (although I didn't mind them having Irish accents , why should they have American accent ?)

I was aware of these being a few cuts that were great improvements and I watched the most recent, The Ultimate Cut at 206 minutes complete with an intermission!

While some of it is still quite clunky, I am really enjoying it! There's a massive scope including all of his travels that I don't remember seeing and it does a really good job of showing his tactical genius on the battle field against the Persians that I don't remember seeing.

First twenty minutes take a bit of time to get into, and some of his motivational speeches aren't that motivational, add it's not Farrel's best work, but hugs most definitely worth watching and you may even learn a bit!

• As I've been working from home, I sometimes like to have long epic type movies on in the background, Ben-Hur being the classic example.

For some reason Alexander popped into my head. I vaguely remember watching it at the time and finding it shambolic and incoherent (although I didn't mind them having Irish accents , why should they have American accent ?)

I was aware of these being a few cuts that were great improvements and I watched the most recent, The Ultimate Cut at 206 minutes complete with an intermission!

!

Its quite amazing how the original cut of this film is so awful and the Ultimate Cut is such a great film. I still wonder how Stone got it so wrong with that.

Its quite amazing how the original cut of this film is so awful and the Ultimate Cut is such a great film. I still wonder how Stone got it so wrong with that.

Do you think The Ultimate Cut will grow in appreciation and become well loved?

• Do you think The Ultimate Cut will grow in appreciation and become well loved?

It should be but I doubt it, not enough people will be willing to give it a second go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

This popping up reminds me of a funny story.

Colin Farrell was on the late late show to publicise this film and I was at the recording of it. Also two other irish actors who were in it.

I was at the recording with my sister and friend. My sister had seen it and told is it was absolutely awful, total crap according to her.

CF didn't hang around afterwards but the two other actors did and we got photos and talked to them etc
    "have any of you seen it" they asked
    She has, she has, we said pushing my sister forward.
    "So what did you think?"
    Rabbit in headlights:
    Em. Emmmm. Pause for an unmerciful long time. We are all like "say SOMETHING" in our minds.
    Emmmm
    "Eh, it was...……..long...." Says she. "yes, long" she says with a nod of her head.
    cue awkward silence

Later on in th epub we were all like, seriously that is all you could say??? And she was like. CRAP, that was all in my mind, CRAP, that is all I could think of. And Long was the eventually the only think I could say.

Advertisement