Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem and Router Problem

• 27-06-2014 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I'm using a TP-Link TD-8817 DSL modem connecting to my ISP and connected to that I have a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND router. All works somewhat fine but after an undetermined amount of time (usually a few hours) the router drops its internet connection and only the power led stays lit (sometimes it drops the connection but then recovers and all leds stay on).

I have no idea why it does this and I'm not even sure that the devices are set up properly to talk to each other correctly. Does anyone know of any guides to properly set them up? I know it's something on the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND's side because if I disconnect my ethernet from it and plug directly into the modem without changing anything else I'm able to connect once again.

All devices are cooled so it's not an overheating problem. Anybody have any ideas? Maybe I have the DHCP set up wrong or something? I usually have the modem on 192.168.1.1 set up to give the router a static IP and the router set up on 192.168.2.250 set up to give all other devices an IP.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Put the TP-Link TD-8817 in bridge mode and use the other as a router. DHCP etc will come from the other router.

I would reset both devices and reconfigure them if you're not sure what's happened.

If the internet is disconnecting every few hours I would first think that TP-Link TD-8817 may be the culprit. Check that MTU and all the settings are correct on the modem

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cirx08

The TD-8817 gives me the option to have DHCP too, should I disable it and only have the TL-WR1043ND running DHCP?

I'm not sure the TD-8817 is the culprit because it seems to work fine just using it without the TL-WR1043ND in between.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

cirx08 wrote: »
    The TD-8817 gives me the option to have DHCP too, should I disable it and only have the TL-WR1043ND running DHCP?

I'm not sure the TD-8817 is the culprit because it seems to work fine just using it without the TL-WR1043ND in between.

Put the modem in bridge mode and set the static ip as 192.168.1.1. Turn off DHCP.

Connect the modem into the TL-WR1043ND router's WAN (blue) port. Set up the router inputing the static IP in the internet connection section as 192.168.1.1. Enable DHCP on this and set the TL-WR1043ND router IP as 192.168.2.1. Set the DHCP range to something like 192.168.2.100-254.

Set the DNS servers on both the modem and router to 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4 (Google's Public DNS) or your ISP's - whatever floats your boat.

DHCP should only come from one device (TL-WR1043ND). I separated them into two subnets just to separate them away from each other.

Let us know if that works.

Advertisement