Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Royal Canal Tow Path

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

The gates on the Grand Canal at Killeen Road and Park West were forced open earlier this summer and it was open season the towpath until they were repaired - dirt / quad bikes, sulkies, cars, everything.
    CCTV does nothing I'll agree but the gates are essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

daymobrew wrote: »
    These are the answers I expected. If the gates and CCTV are ineffective I think that the gates should be removed. I really hate ineffective things that punish the innocent.

No one said gates were ineffective. I would expect I'd there were none bikers would use it as a rat run for commuting. And plagued with yobs.

CCTV in itself isn't a deterrent without enforcement. But it might deter some messing.

You climb mountains in small steps.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

beauf wrote: »
    No one said gates were ineffective. I would expect I'd there were none bikers would use it as a rat run for commuting. And plagued with yobs.

CCTV in itself isn't a deterrent without enforcement. But it might deter some messing.

You climb mountains in small steps.

I have said the gates are ineffective based on experience and feedback from others. I've meet loads of horses on the Grand Canal and a fair share of scrambles on the Royal, all inside gates.

An issue I've also seen and heard of is what you call "yobs" hanging around or close to the gates causing personal security issues or at lease increasing feel of lack of safety.

On the other hand, if there were no gates there would be more legitimate users on all sorts of bikes, including ones which fit in the gates but people are not bothered using the route because of the gates. This isn't a theory -- people have said on threads that they avoid the Grand Canal because of the gates even with the changes made.

Ok I stand corrected. Any route I take that cycle only, or a pedestrian gate, like the park, you get bikers using it constantly. I don't mind where they are just commuting and considerate of other users. But I would I have assume it would be plagued with more concentrated anti social behaviour depending on the location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

monument wrote: »
    To try to stop some teenagers using scramblers on the towpath.

It's a minor but a real issue and one which is not stopped by the gates (I've seen them inside the gates a few times).

With gates there is a minor issue?
    franer1970 wrote: »
    The gates on the Grand Canal at Killeen Road and Park West were forced open earlier this summer and it was open season the towpath until they were repaired - dirt / quad bikes, sulkies, cars, everything.
    CCTV does nothing I'll agree but the gates are essential.

Without gates there is a major issue?

This suggests that gates contribute to solving the problem but are not a complete solution. This gives succour to those who argue against the gates because they can mention occasional incidents.

• Advertisement

Ok I stand corrected. Any route I take that cycle only, or a pedestrian gate, like the park, you get bikers using it constantly. I don't mind where they are just commuting and considerate of other users. But I would I have assume it would be plagued with more concentrated anti social behaviour depending on the location.

Bikers?

Godge wrote: »
    With gates there is a minor issue?

Without gates there is a major issue?

This suggests that gates contribute to solving the problem but are not a complete solution. This gives succour to those who argue against the gates because they can mention occasional incidents.

Err... sulkies and cars can be stopped by magical things called bollards.

Unplanned and uncontrolled access is not the same thing as planned access which does not block legitimate users and block stop the routes from getting anywhere near their potential for commuting, tourism and leisure.

Bikers?

Motorcyclists. Some of them tend to use pedestrian gates like whites gate in the park and bollard closed roads like Wellington road, as rat runs.

Motorcyclists. Some of them tend to use pedestrian gates like whites gate in the park and bollard closed roads like Wellington road, as rat runs.

Ok, compare towpaths, parks etc to this:

Parking cars on footpaths and cycling on footpaths is at crazy levels on many streets and housing estates across Dublin. So, the question is:

Is it acceptable to solve this problem by making it more difficult or, in many cases, impossible for ligitmate users to use footpaths?

If not, why are towpaths and parks so special?

They attract special people?

I dunno what you are looking for here. I assume you mean that if you attract enough people it will chase the scobes away.

Not sure that's worked that well at kaboombridge.

I dunno what you are looking for here...

You seem to be defending the gates, so I'm asking:

With footpaths generally, on streets and in estates, is it acceptable to solve the motorist/cyclist problem by making it more difficult or, in many cases, impossible for ligitmate users to use footpaths?

If not, why are towpaths and parks so special?

...I assume you mean that if you attract enough people it will chase the scobes away.

Not sure that's worked that well at kaboombridge.

Broombridge? What exactly has been tried at Boombridge?

• Advertisement

You seem to be suggesting that antisocial racing horse and motorbikes on a foot/cycle path in a known trouble spot is comparable with parking on the path, and cycling (perhaps by kids) in perhaps a cul de sac in a quiet estate with no through pedestrian traffic.

Considering someone else has already posted the problems when gates were removed, and I already said they were a problem for cycling as a commuter. To suggest I'm defending the gates, or to ignore any useful function of the gate is to create an argument, for the sake of an argument.

Attracting more people to something is fine. But you can't treat an area with constant antisocial problems the same as one that doesn't.

...Broombridge? What exactly has been tried at Boombridge?

From wiki
    ..The station is unstaffed and has been subject to vandalism significant and sustained enough for Iarnród Éireann to be concerned and questions asked about it in the Dáil.[...

I would suggest that you can't treat all areas exactly the same.

You seem to be suggesting that antisocial racing horse and motorbikes on a foot/cycle path in a known trouble spot is comparable with parking on the path, and cycling (perhaps by kids) in perhaps a cul de sac in a quiet estate with no through pedestrian traffic.

Err... I would not really worry too much if quiet estate too much if that's the only place illegal parking and cycling was happening on footpaths.

But it's not the only place, illegal cycling on footpaths by adults have some old people scare to leave their homes and illegal parking on footpaths is epidemic on busy roads and it often forces people with disabilities, children and people pushing prams out onto the road.

Considering someone else has already posted the problems when gates were removed, and I already said they were a problem for cycling as a commuter.

And I've already replied to that... sulkies and cars can be stopped by magical things called bollards.

Unplanned and uncontrolled access is not the same thing as planned access which does not block legitimate users and stop the routes from getting anywhere near their potential for commuting, tourism and leisure.

To suggest I'm defending the gates, or to ignore any useful function of the gate is to create an argument, for the sake of an argument.

You seem a bit confused: You're agreeing with the gates by outlining reasons for them, getting annoyed that I'm saying you're defending the gates, and then you're defending them again.

You want it all ways here. But the fact is that you seem content with the idea of blocking legitimate users -- if not, please stop defending the gates.

Given my experance of horses inside kissing gates on the Grand Canal and scramblers inside the Royal Canal, I'm unsure what "useful function" these is to ignore?

Block cars? Can be done by bollards. Make the route unattractive and unusable to many cyclists? Works very effectly. Acts as a nice place for misfits to intimidate people where legitimate users have to needlessly slow to a stop? Gates work a charm.

Attracting more people to something is fine. But you can't treat an area with constant antisocial problems the same as one that doesn't.

Where have I said that we should treat all areas the same?

The gates don't solve much of the antisocial issues, make some issues worse, gives the powes that be a feeing that they are solving a problem which isn't solved and pushes away legitimate users who could be more affective than gates ever will be.

Unplanned and uncontrolled access is not the same thing as planned access which does not block legitimate users and stop the routes from getting anywhere near their potential for commuting, tourism and leisure.

These gates don't block access. That's factually wrong. You'd said they don't work, and now you say they do work. Or are you suggesting you can get a motorbike or a horse past them, but not a walker, or a bicycle. or can you get nothing past them. Which is it?

They make it inconvenient for a subset of users. yes I made that point already. if someone has done a survey on a before and after with these gates in different locations, and with regard to regular users, and antisocial behavior, please share it.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0805/134183-transport/

The gates don't solve much of the antisocial issues, make some issues worse, gives the powes that be a feeing that they are solving a problem which isn't solved and pushes away legitimate users who could be more affective than gates ever will be.

Well you have people post the exact opposite. My own experience is the new section with (or despite) the gates was that it was very popular. The other section without gates for the most part was pretty much deserted.

You've made this thread about the gates. lets rewind to what I said...
    I tried it at the weekend. From Coolmine to Castleknock isn't suitable for commuting. Really need a decent MTB for that. From Castleknock to Ashtown and then to the Ratoath is great. Its a bit desolate after that, but fine for cycling. I went as far as Broombridge and ran out of time, so had to head back.

For a commuter route there's probably too many gates. I did notice some people struggling with larger bikes. I have a medium sized old MTB and it fit fine. I had one pannier and could slip through some of the narrow gates, had no problem with the kissing gates. It was just slow. Especially when you get a few bikes all arriving at the same time I can understand why they are there though.

I might try the full route this week. Its a bit indirect for me vs the park/quays, but its nice to have an alternative. I was out on a really sunny lunchtime and there was a lot of walkers and a good few cyclists, at least till the ratoath road.

I don't really get how you read this and say I was pro the gates. My main point was it was great and popular (lots of cyclists). But the gates were a pain for a commuter. Not everyone is a commuter. Understanding why they installed them, is a long way from agreeing with them or defending them.

These gates don't block access. That's factually wrong. You'd said they don't work, and now you say they do work. Or are you suggesting you can get a motorbike or a horse past them, but not a walker, or a bicycle. or can you get nothing past them. Which is it?

Mopeds and scrambles can be more easily maneuvered past a kissing gate by a half fit young guy, than a cargo bike or a trailer can be by the average parent. Even lots of abled users won't bother.

It's a fact the horses are inside the gates on the Grand Canal and that scramblers have been inside the gates on Royal.

They make it inconvenient for a subset of users. yes I made that point already.

And because they are a "subset" it makes it ok block to people with disabilities, people who are older or otherwise unable to lift or maneuver larger bikes, and people who carry their children on large rear child seats, trailers, cargo bikes etc?

Well you have people post the exact opposite. My own experience is the new section with (or despite) the gates was that it was very popular. The other section without gates for the most part was pretty much deserted.

Which other sections?

You've made this thread about the gates. lets rewind to what I said...

That's nearly all or all the route is to people with general large bicycles, large panniers, bikes with a child seat that can't fit past without lifting, with a trailer, recumbents, cargo bikes, cargo trikes, and electric bikes which the users can't lift or maneuver by the gates.

That includes families, older people, taller people with larger bikes, people who have bikes adopted for using by or carrying people with disabilities and people who want to carry things without using a backpack.

I don't really get how you read this and say I was pro the gates. My main point was it was great and popular (lots of cyclists).

You're main point looked to be defending the gates which are blocking users who just want to enjoy the route or get from a to b more safely than on the roads.

But the gates were a pain for a commuter. Not everyone is a commuter. .

That's as a total misunderstanding - child seats, panniers, child trailers, cargo bikes etc are not just for commuting and for many people these things are only for leisure.

Understanding why they installed them, is a long way from agreeing with them or defending them.

Understanding something is something people do them self, trying to make others understand is defending or justifying -- you're clearly going beyond understanding.

We all know the council's view, you're going beyond just outlining it. You have outlined why you think the gates are needed -- that's defending.

Maybe you don't think it's justified to block families, and people because of their size and ability? Then simply stop defending it.

And because they are a "subset" it makes it ok block to people with disabilities, people who are older or otherwise unable to lift or maneuver larger bikes, and people who carry their children on large rear child seats, trailers, cargo bikes etc?

Who said it was ok. Are you just going invent comments to reply to? Nice
    That's nearly all or all the route is to people with general large bicycles, large panniers, bikes with a child seat that can't fit past without lifting, with a trailer, recumbents, cargo bikes, cargo trikes, and electric bikes which the users can't lift or maneuver by the gates.

That includes families, older people, taller people with larger bikes, people who have bikes adopted for using by or carrying people with disabilities and people who want to carry things without using a backpack.

I didn't see anyone with Dublin Bikes or Large High Nellies fail to get though. People with child seats and others with Panniers (including myself) got though ok.

So your talking about oversized bikes. Even in the phoenix park one of those bikes is rare sight for me. If theres a huge demand for oversized long bikes, trikes etc. then maybe you could produce some Irish stats to make your case.
    You're main point looked to be defending the gates which are blocking users who just want to enjoy the route or get from a to b more safely than on the roads.

No it wasn't. That's just complete invention/inference on your part.
    That's as a total misunderstanding - child seats, panniers, child trailers, cargo bikes etc are not just for commuting and for many people these things are only for leisure.

None of that has anything to do with what I said. My comment was clearly about using it as a commuting route. You'd decided to use my comment out of context and out all proportion.
    Understanding something is something people do them self, trying to make others understand is defending or justifying -- you're clearly going beyond understanding.

We all know the council's view, you're going beyond just outlining it. You have outlined why you think the gates are needed -- that's defending.

No I'm not. That something you've invented. I simply said I understood why they were used. But they are a pain for commuters. You've twisted that into I'm pro gates and anti families and people with mobility issues.

Thats really out of order.

Maybe you don't think it's justified to block families, and people because of their size and ability? Then simply stop defending it.

I haven't commented on families, people size or ability either. Its just pure invention on your part. If you want to start a intelligent campaign about the impracticality of these gates then do so using fact, stats. Theres no need to quote people out of context and invent things they didn't say. Thats a bizarre even tabloid response.

I simply said that its a nice alternative route, and highlighted the issues for commuters.

If you want to start a diatribe/campaign against kissing gates and similar, I would suggest it warrants a separate thread in commuting. As its not specific to D.15 or indeed the Royal Canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭fiacha

As someone who has lived in Ashtown my whole life and as a daily user of the canal, I am 100% behind the existing gates. I walk , cycle and fish on the canal during the week. They gates have not stopped me from doing any of this. They have however, made it more enjoyable.

Before the work was completed and the gates in place, the workers were having to dodge scramblers. I haven't seen any sign of them on the path since the gates went up. In some areas it is possible to access the towpath from adjoining properties / vacant lands. I assume that this is how the horses etc are getting onto the Grand Canal.

I have to slow down at the gate and take my time to get through it, it takes seconds. I build this into my travel plan, just like I do with those traffic management things on roads...I think they call them traffic lights...wouldn't it be great if I could just cycle straight through them :)
    I don't think having to slow down is a valid excuse for removing the gates.

The towpath is a resource for leisure users, not high speed commuting. I see the same people on the canal today that I have been seeing for years. I have also chatted to new people checking out the path for the first time. The gates are not driving people away from the canal.

In order to help keep the canal safe and usable for the majority there has to be compromises made. In some cases it means the less able or those using trailers / oversized bikes can't access it. It's a public resource, so the gov should be making sure that it is accessible to all when feasible.

What is a financially and physically feasible way of ensuring all legitimate users have access, but restricts all others ?

Arguing every pro / con post here will eventually send us to the looney bin. I don't think there will ever be a solution that will suit everyone. That's part of life, and as adults we just have to accept that there are bigger issues out there that need to be tackled.

I'm being asked for stats, so: How many families, older people, people of lesser ability, and people who have disabilities does these have to be before they count?

As a country we have our heads in the sand about how unfriendly and inaccessible our streets are to people with mobility issues, so I suppose it should not really be surprising that that transfers over to greenways and parks etc.

And, no, it's not just "oversized bicycles" -- Fingal County Council have confirmed that the gates are a barrier to some bikes with types of child seats and panniers. It's great for people who can fit their bikes or lift their bikes over, but even the council which installed them admits they are a problem for users of panniers and child seats. What the council confirmed has also been said by people who have contacted me about the issue and it was also said on this thread or over on the cycling board that some people with panniers have had to lift their bikes over the gates.

Re the claim about the Phoenix Park: The Phoenix Park Bike Hire regularly rents out cargo bikes, trailers and tandems; and I know of people with trailers and cargo trikes who use the park. One who uses the park as part of a long detour because they can't use the Grand Canal.

Who said it was ok. Are you just going invent comments to reply to? Nice

No it wasn't. That's just complete invention/inference on your part.

None of that has anything to do with what I said. My comment was clearly about using it as a commuting route. You'd decided to use my comment out of context and out all proportion.

No I'm not. That something you've invented. I simply said I understood why they were used. But they are a pain for commuters. You've twisted that into I'm pro gates and anti families and people with mobility issues.

Thats really out of order.

I haven't commented on families, people size or ability either. Its just pure invention on your part. If you want to start a intelligent campaign about the impracticality of these gates then do so using fact, stats. Theres no need to quote people out of context and invent things they didn't say. Thats a bizarre even tabloid response.

Just because you have not commented on families, people's size or ability either, does not make it ok that you are defending the gates which block some of these people from enjoying the greenway.

And it's not complete invention/inference on my part -- you have went to lengths to defend the barriers and explain why they are needed, including painting pictures of doom if the gates were removed. Your latest tact is to try to underplay the amount of people who are being denied access -- but we have yet to hear how many families, old people and people who have disabilities count before there's "huge demand" -- how many is too many to block?

If you want to start a diatribe/campaign against kissing gates and similar, I would suggest it warrants a separate thread in commuting. As its not specific to D.15 or indeed the Royal Canal.

But these gates are in D15 and it's so-far the only section of the Royal Canal upgraded as a cycling route under the GDA Cycle Network and the Galway to Dublin cycle route.

Putting these types of barriers on the greenway calls into question of misuse of Dublin's limited sustainable transport funding. Not a great benchmark for the rest of the greenway network in the GDA.

fiacha wrote: »
    The gates are not driving people away from the canal.

It may not be driving away current users but -- as people have said on boards about the Grand Canal -- it does stop potential users who would add to safety.

In order to help keep the canal safe and usable for the majority there has to be compromises made. In some cases it means the less able or those using trailers / oversized bikes can't access it. It's a public resource, so the gov should be making sure that it is accessible to all when feasible.

Another way of looking at this is asking you:

Do you think it's acceptable to stop older people, people of less ability, people with disabilities, and families with many types of bikes?

Are these people just casualties of the war on anti-social behaviour?

I don't think there will ever be a solution that will suit everyone. That's part of life, and as adults we just have to accept that there are bigger issues out there that need to be tackled.

Sure, there are bigger issues in the world. But on a thread about a greenway, blocking people from using the route seems like a fairly central issue.

• Advertisement

...Sure, there are bigger issues in the world. But on a thread about a greenway, blocking people from using the route seems like a fairly central issue.

So you want to encourage antisocial activity which will discourage people from using the canal path. Promote the idea that its blocked and unusable for the majority of potential users. Deride the ridicule the work thats been done so far as pointless waste of money. Because if its blocked what is the point. You're suggesting they might as well leave it as it was.

...What is a financially and physically feasible way of ensuring all legitimate users have access, but restricts all others ?...

I've never seen the canal so busy. It would be nice to have a reasoned discussion on the alternatives to the gates. But it seems that's not possible. I posted early a link to a trial of removing gates, but no one seem interested in the results of that. To mention gates at all is to be a fervent supporter of them apparently. The gates are a pain = I love gates apparently.

No problem. I work beside the IFSC so I usually leave the canal at the Croke Park/Northstrand lock(this lock is closed for repair a the moment but scheduled to be reopened next month).

Journey usually takes about 35 - 40 minutes from the Castleknock tow gate, but I'm a very slow cyclist and take my time.

Well worth considering if you're tired of cycling through the phoenix park and running the gauntlet along the quays.

Thanks for the info. You encourage me to try it anyway! I saw a few others using it to commute when I was on it. Did you usually meet many yourself? When I'm on the train I've started to notice more people on it.

I wonder would they ever consider extending the cycle way into the IFSC it could then link up with the Canal Cycle way. There seems to be a lot of dead unused ground at city end. I found that some people who are reluctant to cycle, through dislike/fear of traffic etc are greatly encouraged when they find they can do most of their route off road.

So you want to encourage antisocial activity which will discourage people from using the canal path. Promote the idea that its blocked and unusable for the majority of potential users. Deride the ridicule the work thats been done so far as pointless waste of money. Because if its blocked what is the point. You're suggesting they might as well leave it as it was.

I'm still waiting for an answer, I can't fairly answer YOUR question without it:

How many families, older people, people of lesser ability, and people who have disabilities does these have to be before they count?

I've never seen the canal so busy. It would be nice to have a reasoned discussion on the alternatives to the gates. But it seems that's not possible. I posted early a link to a trial of removing gates, but no one seem interested in the results of that. To mention gates at all is to be a fervent supporter of them apparently. The gates are a pain = I love gates apparently.

I was trying to have a reasoned debate but first you came on as if you had not read the posts about horses and scramblers getting past kissing gates, and then you started on about the route becoming a "rat run for commuting" by motorcyclists -- presumably the motorcyclists would cover up their number plates while doing this (Yes, as if that's reasonable to expect to be an ongoing problem).

Then when that was challenged you gave a smart remark about "kaboombridge" as if to say anything has been tried at Broombridge -- it has not (but thankfully Luas arriving there will at lease cleanup and secure a lot of the site).

Then you started on about how "someone else has already posted the problems when gates were removed" referring to uncontrolled car and cart access when a gate was opened -- all things which can be stopped by bollards, and that had already been replied to but you were only reading or remembering one side.

Then you started to claim that the gates don't block access and are only an inconvenient for a subset of users -- which is clearly untrue unless there's a team of people at ever gate to help people with trailers, cargo bikes, cargo trikes, electric bikes etc. You go on about none of these types of bikes in the Phoenix Park but the Phoenix Park Bike Hire alone proves you wrong.

Then when you finally admitted that the gates do block people you were looking for stats to prove these bikes sell well in Ireland -- you still won't answer how many families, older people, people of lesser ability, and people who have disabilities amounts to a "huge" amount to be worth considering. It's ok to block people as long as they are a minority -- that's your horrible point.

Then you started going on about panniers and child seats fitting fine, but even the council admits that this is not the case.

At a few points you were very defensive of the questionable benefits if gates and dismissive if the benefits of extra users.

You're not in a position to be calling or inferring that others are unreasonable.

I have no interest why you want to allow motorbikes and horses on the canal and discourage everyone else from using the path.
    Or indeed why you want to promote the idea that the canal route is blocked for all users. or run down the efforts of others in improving the facilities.

I have no interest why you want to allow motorbikes and horses on the canal and discourage everyone else from using the path.
    Or indeed why you want to promote the idea that the canal route is blocked for all users. or run down the efforts of others in improving the facilities.

You talk about reasonable debate, now you're claiming I want motorbikes and horses on the route... How reasonable is that?

Where have I suggested that the route is blocked off for all?

And it's nonsense to suggest that "everybody else" can use the path... Or are you going back to suggesting legitimate users are not blocked?

For the record: I'm not running down efforts to improve the facilities, I'm highlighting the issue of blocking legitimate users.

I'm not going to engage with bullying tactics of misquoting just me. I can't agree with promoting antisocial policies, deriding the hard work done by others and bad mouthing the new facilities.
    Maybe its some odd anti marketing or self promotion plan. I want no part of it.

Theres an idea a new boards feature. An ignore me feature. So I can add myself to some else's ignore list. So they leave me alone.

I'm not going to engage with bullying tactics of misquoting just me. I can't agree with promoting antisocial policies, deriding the hard work done by others and bad mouthing the new facilities.
    Maybe its some odd anti marketing or self promotion plan. I want no part of it.

Where have I misquoted you?

Where am I "promoting antisocial policies"?

Are you saying that highlighting access issues for many families, older people, people of lesser ability, and people who have disabilities can't be done because it amounts to "deriding" and "bad mouthing" the good others have done? It looks like it!

Theres an idea a new boards feature. An ignore me feature. So I can add myself to some else's ignore list. So they leave me alone.

You can add me to your ignore list. But it will not stop me from correcting you defending of measures which block many families, older people, people of lesser ability, and people who have disabilities.

• Advertisement

Why you want to promote the idea the new development work has blocked all users other than antisocial activities I have no idea.
    The aim of being so negative to the new work is unclear. Perhaps its to exclude other users from the route that would inconvenience fast cycle commuting.
    Maybe the intent is to get the thread closed so the positive are not communicated, so the route doesn't become too popular.

Advertisement