Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kellys Lounge Ongar Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Agree on above. Pity they cant get a few Craft Beers (Bottles) in stock & a couple on Pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Agree on above. Pity they cant get a few Craft Beers (Bottles) in stock & a couple on Pump.

I asked them on their Facebook page and they asked for recommendations (Galway Hooker /O'Hara's) and they said they had Smithwicks Pale ale on tap:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I asked them on their Facebook page and they asked for recommendations (Galway Hooker /O'Hara's) and they said they had Smithwicks Pale ale on tap:rolleyes:

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

If the new owners are not doing anything with the pub until they get license clearance or whatever they're waiting for, they should at least clear the mountain of rubbish/building materials left dumped outside the pub since before Christmas. No doubt the storms blew a lot of it around the streets as well! Otherwise, they're not endearing themselves to Ongar residents (and potential future customers)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

ongarboy wrote: »
    If the new owners are not doing anything with the pub until they get license clearance or whatever they're waiting for, they should at least clear the mountain of rubbish/building materials left dumped outside the pub since before Christmas. No doubt the storms blew a lot of it around the streets as well! Otherwise, they're not endearing themselves to Ongar residents (and potential future customers)!!

Was thinking exactly that. Those skip bags must be there at least 6 weeks.

Poor form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Was thinking exactly that. Those skip bags must be there at least 6 weeks.

Poor form.

Unfortunately, some domestic rubbish has been added too...bags with Xmas wrapping paper etc. are visible...and the pile will probably continue to grow until they get rid of that skip! The bin outside the medical centre was always being filled with domestic rubbish and often the rubbish was left beside the bin when it was full. The bin has since been removed. When that was happening, you can be sure that if there's a skip somewhere for too long, it'll be used too. Then as soon as the wind starts up again, the street will get pretty nasty. When the new butcher was setting up last week/early this week, there was a skip out the back and it was filled over the course of a few nights with things that clearly hadn't come from the inside of the shop (the skip has been taken away since). There's still a child's car seat and a scooter in the car park area from someone's dumping trip - the skip must have been too full to accommodate them.
    Hopefully the pub opening will go ahead at the end of the month and we'll get rid of that mess. Not a good look for Main Street!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Soooooooo it looks like the pub is open now?

I was driving past and saw the lights / tv on this afternoon.

If anybody here goes in id love to know your opinion on the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Was in yesterday.the direction they are looking to go is certainly a gastro pub.its still even early days for the length of time they've been working on it.there was still workmen floating around.
    Staff are friendly beer is nice Guinness is good food was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Just googled Gastro pub.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Lets hope they improve the 'tracksuits hanging around the entrance doors smoking', of the previous regime.

• Advertisement

Wils110 wrote: »
    Was in yesterday.the direction they are looking to go is certainly a gastro pub.its still even early days for the length of time they've been working on it.there was still workmen floating around.
    Staff are friendly beer is nice Guinness is good food was nice.

Oh that's great news! I only passed there at the weekend and it still looked like nothing was stirring. The only thing I had noticed was the rubble outside the front had been removed. I'll have to pop in at the weekend!

It's a very discreet opening though. They could have put opening date posters on their windows for the last few weeks to generate a build up/local enthusiasm. They should take a leaf out of the Paddocks Facebook marketing strategy!

I wish them best of luck though!

Actually they do have a FB page and advertise bar food menu serving food all day, 12 screens showing all major live sports events and a nightclub! Does this mean we can stay out til 2:30am in Ongar??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

12 screens showing all major live sports events

i.e. showing all sorts of ****e, and when there's no actual live sports on, we'll leave Sky Sports News on to irritate the crap out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Actually they do have a FB page and advertise bar food menu serving food all day, 12 screens showing all major live sports events and a nightclub! Does this mean we can stay out til 2:30am in Ongar??:D

That is not good to hear. Is there confirmation of a late licence etc? Id be surprised if a new one would be granted beyond 12am in a dense residential area....

Any link to their Facebook page ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Here it is, but no activity on it: https://www.facebook.com/CuchulainnsofOngar

quickbeam wrote: »
    Here it is, but no activity on it: https://www.facebook.com/CuchulainnsofOngar

Oh I thought they had menu's etc on their page already.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cuchulainns

Cu Chulainns of Ongar is a bistro style bar with a big focus on our food. We do not have a late license and will not have a nightclub. We will be opening our sports themed function room to cater for our sports loving patrons as well as making it available for private functions and business meetings. We have not set up a Facebook page and our soft opening approach is for our staff to find their feet and get comfortable with the venue. We hope this will allow the maximum enjoyable experience for all our early customers. A grand opening will be coming soon. We look forward to seeing you all soon!
    Slainte

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Cuchulainns, as you are posting on behalf of a company I have to ask you to refrain from posting any further until you have obtained a verified rep account from the guys in the office. They can be contacted at reps@boards.ie

Please note that further posts without having first obtained a verified rep account will result in a siteban.

Someone has set up a Facebook page on their behalf and advised of a niteclub as part of their offering. If I was the proprietor of CuChullains, I'd be concerned that someone falsely set up a Facebook page and included misleading information if they said they have no such FB page. I'd be asking FB to take it down in that case!

Either way, I popped in for a couple tonight with the OH. The decor is exactly the same inside with some extra touches (candles at each table etc). The staff were exceptionally friendly (including bringing the drinks to our tables) so kudos to them! It was a bit on the quiet side though but i suspect many people don't know its open yet (I only learned it from here). Small tip, they should consider dimming the lights a little to make it cozier as it was a bit on the bright side! I look forward to trying out the food soon!

PS - the soft opening to familiiarize staff is a good tactic I guess seeing as they have said above that they will be planning a grand opening soon!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

That's assuming the above post #49 is actually from someone connected to the business. Any goon can set up an account and claim to represent a business, so until they are verified as an official rep, anything they post here can be taken with a large pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I was in there Friday evening for a very quick pint. Interior of bar didn't appear to have changed much. The Menu looked ok, and the staff were very friendly. Most importantly of all, the pint of Guinness was creamy and good ;-) glad to see it open again. Best of luck of them, really hope it works out and that i can start calling my local again.

Muppet man.

Any craft beer on tap could anyone see?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Was down there again this evening for another quick Guinness and there was a big crowd in the lounge.... Seems to be doing well on its first weekend anyway.

Didn't see ant craft beers to be honest... Usual largers and Guinness as far as I could see

Muppet man

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Gerlad

Was in there last Thursday night and was very enjoyable. Place hasn't changed much from Kellys although it has had a clean up. I had wings to start and while there was loads for a starter they seemed like they had been baked with Franks sauce rather than baked first and then coated in the hot sauce but a few places cook them like this. Rib eye for main course was very good, perfectly cooked and the chips were excellent. Herself had the fried brie fot starter and cajun chicken burger and this was also good. Guinness was excellent also. The meni is relatively small but they will be doing early bird/deals etc in the future.

The girl serving us couldn't do enough - was very helpful. They seem to be finding their feet a little so no grand opening yet. According to the staff, the plan will be to have the sports bar upstairs and then serve food downstairs mainly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Gerlad wrote: »
    I had wings to start and while there was loads for a starter they seemed like they had been baked with Franks sauce rather than baked first and then coated in the hot sauce but a few places cook them like this. Rib eye for main course was very good, perfectly cooked and the chips were excellent. Herself had the fried brie for starter and cajun chicken burger and this was also good. Guinness was excellent also.

What are the prices like? Can you remember what you were charged for what you's had?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

The Guinness is excellent,
    I found the prices reasonable €15 for a bowl of chicken wings, garlic mushrooms, chips and onion rings.maybe a €4 for a chicken Caesar salad
    They do have the menu on the window if you want a proper look without the need to go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Gerlad

dickwod1 wrote: »
    What are the prices like? Can you remember what you were charged for what you's had?

Think it was €5/6 for the wings but there was a good 10 or 12 of them. Ribeye steak with chips. mushrooms, onions, pepper sauce and salad was €15.

Gerlad wrote: »
    Think it was €5/6 for the wings but there was a good 10 or 12 of them. Ribeye steak with chips. mushrooms, onions, pepper sauce and salad was €15.

Very reasonable prices!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Just spotted someone post the menu on Facebook

Advertisement