Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying an apartment in Waterville.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I thought Garnish was the last on the old leases - lucky you if you're not. I know Aran Court have the old leases so thought it went to the top of the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

athtrasna wrote: »
    They're not. Because all the clusters aren't the same.
    Ok fair enough, but id still love to see the breakdown of €1600 maintenance a month. Those properties were built in the boom no? 04ish+? How are people affording this? As i said i would be jokey broke paying that and i got a so called "affordable" property.

Stumped! :confused:

anniehoo wrote: »
    Ok fair enough, but id still love to see the breakdown of €1600 maintenance a month. Those properties were built in the boom no? 04ish+? How are people affording this? As i said i would be jokey broke paying that and i got a so called "affordable" property.

Stumped! :confused:

it would be €1600 a year not a month. Am sure it was a typo by the poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kevc2

Hi,
    I'm in Erris Square. PM me if you want and I'll tell you all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

athtrasna wrote: »
    it would be €1600 a year not a month. Am sure it was a typo by the poster.
    Doh! Yeah of course, they did actually say per year too. Head not with it this week :o Would still like to see the breakdown though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Erelliac

Dear All,

I’m attempting to re-launch this discussion as I’m in the process of buying a 3-bed duplex in Garnish square. That’s obviously a big decision to make – so I thought to get your views on it.

I’ll summarize my Plus & Minuses – and you may want to add/amend from that (sorry as this may be redundant to a previous post):

Plus:
    • Spacious apartment – an 118 sqm 3 bed duplex can fit my little family (1 kid & pregnant wife!) with plenty of storage,
    • Good build overall – Structural survey came out OK. Heard good things from various parties,
    • Clean area – You pay for it, but the area seems well maintained, at the exception of nearby woody area,
    • Local amenities –SPAR, Shopping centre, Blanch’ village, Creche, NAC / National Sport Campus (with more facilities in construction) all within walking distance,
    • Close to work – 5mn drive from work, walking distance for my wife,
    • Close to N3/M50 – Should I get a job somewhere else, Waterville has easy access to the M50,
    • Quiet area – I’ve been renting for few years in an adjoining block and I’ve always found it peaceful,
    • Low percentage of tenancy – No being disrespectful to tenants (I’m still one!) this is an important factor for me, and Garnish sq has a tenancy rate of 20% (source: PRTB), well below Skelligs ct / Tory sq / Annagh ct blocks,

Minus:
    • Repossessions – Threats of Repos on the Property Market and more particularly apts, however nobody knows the exact geographical spread. New apartments came on sale in Waterville but in less desirable blocks imo,
    • Neighbouring Corduff – A report from the Blanchardstown Area Partnership (Social and Economic Profile of Dublin 15, Oct 2012) highlights the challenges facing the area, and the big gap/differences with Waterville. However, I’m crossing often Corduff and stopping as well on the local supermarket, and always met good decent people…
    • Management fee – I understand it’s about €1,000 per annum – it’s a lot of money but it appeared to be well worth the money, and managed locally which is good…

Sorry as this is quite a long post. I’ll be very glad to hear different point of views. I’m quite convinced this is the right step, but I’m willing to be challenged!

Many thanks in advance,

In answer to a couple of your points
    • The council are responsible for the wooded area, they took that in charge a number of years ago when the developments refused to take it on collectively from the builders
    • Corduff is across the road. It's very rare that trouble crosses the road. The only thing to watch is that Waterville is on the border of two primary school areas, being the village and Corduff. There is a chance your children may end up going to school there if the village schools are over subscribed.
    • Management fee. This includes refuse, buildings insurance and landscaping as well as a whole load of less noticeable things. €1,000 is very good value. I would advise that if you buy, stand for election as a director. This is the best way to protect your investment and to work to ensure fees stay low.
    • Repossessions happen all over the place, it's hard to predict where. In Waterville it's more likely to be the clusters above Garnish and around the Spar as in the height of the boom, 3 bed apartments in those clusters were on sale for €515,000.

Many thanks for your advices Athtrasna,

My son is actually registered joining a Blanchardstown school later this year, so I guess we're fine on that front.

I'll certainly remember your feedback regarding the potential directorship of the management company.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I live in Garnish Square, feel free to pm me.

Huge owner occupier area

I 've been here nearly nine years, and very little turnover. Management fees aren't that bad - I had to claim off the block insurance for a leak and was settled fine.

Dead quiet, no noise from next door. My mate is a strutural engineer and he said best he's seen in years.

Never see Corduff.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Guys, somehow I can't find Erris Square on google maps. Could someone post gps coordinates please? :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 27 gigatoaster

Hello

I am very interested by the discussion you had several years ago. Are there some people living there that could share their opinion about Waterville? What about Garnish Square: is it a good place to live in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Well I'm still here - ten years now. I love it.

What I would say it's gone a bit down in the last year. My friend was visiting and was outside smoking and he came in to tell me that my neighbours were smoking hash. But I suppose you'd get that anywhere. What I'm seeing is the original owner occupiers moving on and renting out.

On the plus side, it's recently been repainted and powerwashed and I find it very safe - for example I accidentally left my front door wide open (and I mean open, not just unlocked) - I had gone upstairs but obviously the lure of my bed was too much (there was alcohol involved) and woke up the next morning - not a problem.

I'd recommend it rather than the other clusters. I work in an area where I have an overview of the area in stats and I'd rather live here.

Hi,

Quick reply on this. I actually bought in Garnish square last year and I'm extremely glad of it. I find the area very peaceful. My neighbours are really nice and quiet. I'm a First-Home-Buyer so this was a huge decision to take, and so far I feel like It's been the right one.

Thanks,

amtc wrote: »
    Well I'm still here - ten years now. I love it.

What I would say it's gone a bit down in the last year. My friend was visiting and was outside smoking and he came in to tell me that my neighbours were smoking hash. But I suppose you'd get that anywhere. What I'm seeing is the original owner occupiers moving on and renting out.

On the plus side, it's recently been repainted and powerwashed and I find it very safe - for example I accidentally left my front door wide open (and I mean open, not just unlocked) - I had gone upstairs but obviously the lure of my bed was too much (there was alcohol involved) and woke up the next morning - not a problem.

I'd recommend it rather than the other clusters. I work in an area where I have an overview of the area in stats and I'd rather live here.

We're not all bad. I live in the next Cluster down and agree that this is the nice part. I wouldn't like to live in any of the clusters on the other roads ;)

I'm still in Erris Square, still a great place to live, been here 5-6 years. I believe Garnish Square is great also.

Only problem is that it's difficult to get talking to people in Waterville, I was thinking about setting up a neighbourhood BBQ but I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not.

kevc2 wrote: »
    I'm still in Erris Square, still a great place to live, been here 5-6 years. I believe Garnish Square is great also.

Are you an owner or a tenant? IIRC Erris had a big issue with thousands of euro worth of plants being damaged in the first year or two? I remember SPM telling us

Hello

I'm a new tenant here and this WE, there was an alarm on...all night. It has started again. Is there anything we can do?

Hello

I'm a new tenant here and this WE, there was an alarm on...all night. It has started again. Is there anything we can do?

If you're a tenant contact your landlord and ask them to report it to the Management Agent.

• Advertisement

Done thank you. the alarm stopped when they called me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 susanbrooks30

Hi.. I'm thinking of buying a 2 bed apartment in Erris Square in Waterville and would really welcome any help or views on the pros and cons of this part of Waterville. Thanks !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

I think Erris has permit parking because people going to the hospital were using their spaces rather than pay to park in the hospital.

Not aware of any specific issues there, I live in an older part of Waterville and love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 susanbrooks30

Hi..thanks so much.. does anyone live in Erris Square. Tks

Advertisement