Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quotas for Female Politicians in Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

So what then? Too many white people? You want quotas for travellers, muslims, asians etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Zulu wrote: »
    Of course, on that particular point, you are completely incorrect.

Maybe in an ideal world, but we're not in an ideal world, we're in Ireland - and unless you've been away for the last, ...ever(?), you'd know better. The voting public do not want a "representative who works hard for them and listens to their concerns" as has been proven in nearly all of our recent elections. Anyways, thats a separate issue.

As Morlar said: why should I or any other voter in this country be content to be represented by a political candidate who is incapable of being fairly chosen for the job?

Why do you wish to pervert the very concept of democracy in order to promote one sex over another? It's a type of elitest tripe I'd expect 50 years ago. :(

Actually, the last round of local elections brought a number of new candidates into office who had a history of working in their communities, but not in traditional politics. This was particularly true in Dublin: Brid Smith, Rebecca Moynihan, Maria Parodi, and of course Maureen O'Sullivan are examples.

As for perverting democracy, the democracies that have quota systems seem to be doing just fine. :rolleyes:

Actually, the last round of local elections brought a number of new candidates into office who had a history of working in their communities, but not in traditional politics. This was particularly true in Dublin: Brid Smith, Rebecca Moynihan, Maria Parodi, and of course Maureen O'Sullivan are examples.

As for perverting democracy, the democracies that have quota systems seem to be doing just fine. :rolleyes:

I would like more info on France and Spain please.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Well 'seem to be doing just fine' is no justification for bringing in an undemocratic measure.

I have to get some work done today, but I have two questions for the anti-quota people:

1. Do you think the severe under-representation of women in the Dail - both as a percentage of the population, and as compared to other democracies - is problematic?

(it is well documented in this thread if you read it and the linked articles)

2. If you do think it is a problem, then if you don't like the idea of a quota system, what should be done?

• Advertisement

I would like more info on France and Spain please.

The original post has a link to an article about gender quotas in a number of countries. Google also helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Originally Posted by Morlar View Post
    No this issue is not about whether or not you have a lot of faith in Irish political parties at all. Nor politicians for that matter. I have next to no faith in Irish political parties and still am opposed to this anti-democratic proposal/notion.

However I would say I have even less faith in those politicians who are incapable of getting themselves fairly elected to the position they want to have and claim to deserve. How could any self respecting politician take a position they have not earned fairly ? Do you really think this would attract the most noble character and the righteous/capable etc ?
    The current system doesn't; again what would you suggest?

You are the person backing this proposal and now you are asking me to

a) agree with your take on the Irish political system
    &
    b) propose a counter proposal to your own

That is not the way it works.
    As I said in a previous post, if parties were pushed to cast their net a little wider for candidates, they may end up with better male candidates as well.

Pure assumption that
    a) they are not selecting from a wide enough pool of candidates,
    b) if they widen the net this will increase the female candidate levels,
    c) if they widen the net /loosen their rules it will also produce more capable male candidates.

--
    Originally Posted by Morlar View Post

It is about the political representatives. Perhaps you can address a single point I made in that post ? Why should I or any other voter in this country be content to be represented by a political candidate who is incapable of being fairly chosen for the job ?
    BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT REPRESENTED BY A CANDIDATE, YOU ARE REPRESENTED BY AN ELECTED OFFICIAL.

Not sure why the need for caps there to make a weak semantic distinction ? Or perhaps the weakness of your point explains the blockcaps.

Candidates become elected officials, if you are not selected to be a candidate because you are excluded on the basis of sex then you are excluding a potential politically elected official. ie not just legalised but compulsory sexual discrimination against males.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭CnaG

I'll ask again. What countries have gender quotas?

Norway has/had one. Next time, stop being moronic and google it. Or even just read the previous posts. I'm pretty sure someone mentioned at least three others earlier in the thread.

Edit: I see southsiderosie got in there with the google suggestion before I did...

What would be interesting to see is the proportion of women involved in politics compared to the amount actually elected rather than based on the population.

Should we have quotas for under 18s involved in the dail also?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Save the rolleyes, you understand the concept of a democracy right? What you are describing would suggest that they aren't exactly democracies in the truest sence.
    1. Do you think the severe under-representation of women in the Dail - both as a percentage of the population, and as compared to other democracies - is problematic?
    Problematic, how?
    Our current political system is problematic, I'll happily admit that. Do I think that's because there are more men than women? No.
    Would I like to see more women in government? I don't care. I want to see honest politicans who can see beyond the parish politics. I couldn't care less if they are black female roma muslims who support Cork.

• Advertisement

I would like to ask those suchas southsiderosie who are apparently in favour of this notion/proposal whatever.

If you support introducing quotas which would discriminate against male candidates in favour of female ones - do you think that the people who disagree with you on this issue are sexist ? Bearing in mind that we are all (presumably) voters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

You can find out what countries have quotas by looking on the quotaproject.org website.

Some examples that people have given (e.g. Norway, Sweden) are actually bad examples -- they don't have legislated quotas (which are undemocratic), but instead have voluntary party-level quotas (which are merely discriminatory) .

This reminds me of the old Ford quote- a "you can have any colour you like as long as it's black" democracy

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

CnaG wrote: »
    Next time, stop being moronic and google it
    Next time, don't insult people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

If anything, a quota system would strongly discourage me from becoming involved in politics in this country. I find it highly patronising and insulting, and would rather that politicians are chosen democratically and on merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭CnaG

Next time, don't insult people.

Sorry mod. I got irritated by what appeared to be the needless repetion of a question (evidentally trying to make some sort of a point) which had already been answered several times over in the thread. That, to me, was rather moronic. However, I appreciate that you have to keep it clean so I won't let it happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

EI111 wrote: »
    Should we have quotas for under 18s involved in the dail also?

That would be a great idea imo!It shouldnt just be middle aged men who get a say in how this country is run, but from religion to politics to business its seems like there the only ones who get a say :(
    Morlar wrote: »
    I would like to ask those suchas southsiderosie who are apparently in favour of this notion/proposal whatever.

If you support introducing quotas which would discriminate against male candidates in favour of female ones - do you think that the people who disagree with you on this issue are sexist ? Bearing in mind that we are all (presumably) voters here.

Yes, thats the prob I feel the whole idea of gender quota's is discriminatory towards capable men.
    Like Southsiderose I started off this discussion being quite against gender quota's,however I feel after reading this thread that any change in the politcal system in this country would be a positive.

panda100 wrote: »
    That would be a great idea imo!It shouldnt just be middle aged men who get a say in how this country is run, but from religion to politics to business its seems like there the only ones who get a say :(

Yes, thats the prob I feel the whole idea of gender quota's is discriminatory towards capable men.
    Like Southsiderose I started off this discussion being quite against gender quota's,however I feel after reading this thread that any change in the politcal system in this country would be a positive.

Really? Even if it's a change that takes you away from the democratic process?

I made it quite clear in the original post that I wasn't crazy about the idea and I spelled out why. However, I find it troubling that female representation is so low in the Dail and that there were a number of constituencies in the last election cycle where parties did not even have female candidates. Given the STV system in Ireland, that is even more surprising. The current state of affairs suggests that there are significant informal barriers to women running for office in Ireland.

I also find it troubling that many people who are anti-quota in this thread are quick to label it sexist and demeaning, but a) seem unwilling or unable to acknowledge what appears to be a systematic bias against women in the Irish political system (whether through political culture, nomination process, etc), and b) seem unwilling or unable to offer any constructive ideas or mechanisms to address the issue. I think it is unrealistic and, frankly, naive to continually claim that the most "worthy" candidates will somehow magically make it onto the ballot, especially considering the current state of affairs.

I believe strongly in representative democracy, but it is wrong to assume that regulating party behavior is in some way attacking democracy when the existence of parties is not an inherently necessary component of a democratic society. In addition, the fact that candidates are nominated by party leaders isn't particularly "democratic" - why not have an open primary and let party voters decide who they want to see on the ballot in a general election? Thirdly, "representative democracies" mean very different things in different contexts: is a "first-past-the-post" (FPTP) electoral system inherently more or less democratic than a system of proportional representation (PR)? Many would argue that it is less democratic, since PR better reflects the will of the voting population, but would we say that FPTP systems weren't democracies?

Finally, I would also note that in a past life I worked on legal issues surrounding hiring practices, and one of the main issues with my clients wasn't that they were blatantly discriminating against women, it's that they weren't even looking. Managers hired from the same sources as their old managers had since the beginning of time (alma mater, fraternities, friends they knew from golfing, etc), not quite realizing how much the landscape had changed. Many were unhappy when they were told they needed to change their hiring and recruitment practices, but many others found that, long-term, they actually made better hires because they had a wider, deeper pool to pick from - but they never would have made this switch without the kick in the ass from the government regulations. Perhaps quotas could do the same for the Irish political system, but given the knee-jerk and often uninformed responses to it, I doubt it will actually happen, and would guess that it might make things worse.

^I take the point about the party electing the leader. I prefer the US way.

• Advertisement

^I take the point about the party electing the leader. I prefer the US way.

Do we not have the same system though?

pelosi=cowen
    mcalees= obama

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Positive discrimination is still discrimination, so I don't support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

In addition, the fact that candidates are nominated by party leaders isn't particularly "democratic" - why not have an open primary and let party voters decide who they want to see on the ballot in a general election?

Political parties in Ireland do have open selection processes -- take for example the Labour party:
    Labour party candidates for local, Dáil and European elections are selected by a one-member-one-vote ballot of all members registered to vote in branches in the appropriate area (Labour Party Constitution, Article 13.2), at a selection convention. The number of candidates to be selected in each electoral area is decided by the Organisation Sub-Committee (Article 13.3, as amended at Conference 2005).

They're closer to Caucuses than Primaries, but the same principle applies. It is certainly not the party leadership that decides who runs.

I made it quite clear in the original post that I wasn't crazy about the idea and I spelled out why.

Yet you have spent the entirety of the rest of this thread arguing in it's favour while repeatedly saying you are not crazy about the idea.
    However, I find it troubling that female representation is so low in the Dail

If you believe this is due to discrimination then you should present that case rather than assume everyone should agree to your reasoning for, and proposal to change, the numbers.
    and that there were a number of constituencies in the last election cycle where parties did not even have female candidates.

If the party in question thought that a female candidate had a better chance than a male one do you think they would have bypassed the more electable candidate thereby shooting themselves in the foot ? So they want to win elections but not at that terrible cost of having to include women is that it?
    Given the STV system in Ireland, that is even more surprising. The current state of affairs suggests that there are significant informal barriers to women running for office in Ireland.

The 'significant informal barriers' I presume are the ivana bacik ones ? the 5 catchy 5 c's ? Why would you assume (if that is what you are doing) that because one politician/commentator presents an opinion that therefore everyone engaging on this debate needs to accept the supremacy of that opinion ?

The '5 c's' are an opinion - they are not a fact they are a belief and an assessment/opinion - that is all.

Otherwise please outline the 'significant informal barriers' to women entering politics.

The barrier to women running for office in Ireland is 'not getting selected by their chosen party' - the reasons for this are myriad. Enforcing a cheap dumb and lazy quota does not change any of those reasons.

Seeking to eforce a law forcing political parties to select candidates in a discriminatory manner based on the sex of the candidate is legitimising discrimination against men - this in my view is repulsive and as has been mentioned repeatedly - 'Anti-Democratic' Literally.
    I also find it troubling that many people who are anti-quota in this thread are quick to label it sexist and demeaning, but a) seem unwilling or unable to acknowledge what appears to be a systematic bias against women in the Irish political system (whether through political culture, nomination process, etc), and b) seem unwilling or unable to offer any constructive ideas or mechanisms to address the issue.

No one needs to present a counter proposal to your proposal in order to disagree with it. Nor are people required to agree with your judgement or your world view on this or any other given topic.
    I believe strongly in representative democracy, but it is wrong to assume that regulating party behavior is in some way attacking democracy

You say 'regulating party behaviour' I say 'enforcing political parties to discriminate against male candidates in their selection process on the basis of their sex'.
    when the existence of parties is not an inherently necessary component of a democratic society.

This is a nonsense. No, technically you do not need political parties, however in reality political parties are a requirement for our democratic process to work. Any attempt to enforce quotas on our political parties is an attempt to enforce discrimination on our democratic process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

pelosi=cowen
    mcalees= obama

Pretty much, people seem to forget the yank president wasn't supposed to have the kind of power they've had for the last 50/60 years.

I'm against the quota idea, and just as against the idea of bringing it in temporarily. Once someone gets voted in it takes death or similar (:pac:) til they're voted out, and I don't want someone being elected because they had to be and they'll stay in.

pelosi=cowen
    mcalees= obama

No. Firstly the US 'President' is far more like a prime minister than Ireland's president, in that he is commander in chief who has executive powers.

Secondly, the presidental candidates are voted in by the people through the primaries. I think anyone can run.

Congress is a bit different. But don't ask me how. I forget how it works. I think anyone can put themselves on the ballot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

If the party in question thought that a female candidate had a better chance than a male one do you think they would have bypassed the more electable candidate thereby shooting themselves in the foot ? So they want to win elections but not at that terrible cost of having to include women is that it?

I understand what you are saying here but my concern would be a step back from this. That is to say, are political parties even looking for/at potential female candidates? I think arguing that casting a wider net when looking for potential candidates could only be a good thing, for males and females.

I don't think it's unfair to say that parties can get caught up in looking to the same places again and again for possible candidates - this isn't surprising really, as it's human nature and exists in all organisations, political or otherwise. The danger is, any organisation can stagnate by doing this.

Do I want to force parties to have an equal number of men and women? No. Would I like them to acknowledge that there is a gender imbalance and consider that their candidate selection practices might reinforce this? Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

One of the letters in the Irish Times was interesting, as it compared the idea of a gender quota to the quota that already exists in terms of allocating seats to different constituencies/counties. This was to bring about fairness, and representation of all areas of the country. I'm sure people could have argued that it is discriminatory against Dublin politicians who probably would have got more seats if the vote was just left open, and why force people to elect those who haven't earned it by their own merit?

I know it's not exactly the same, but it's an interesting point.

The point of a gender quota would be to rectify the imbalance in an artificial manner temporarily with the aim that this would then rectify it in a natural way, because women would start to see politics as a genuine and interesting option for them. That's my understanding of what the purpose of affirmative action was in the states - it wasn't just about giving black people jobs they hadn't earned, it was about artificially creating opportunities in the early stages, so that young people growing up had more role models or examples of choices they could make rather than only seeing their race represented in music, athletics and unskilled work.

Affirmative action never applied to the election process.↲

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Affirmative action never applied to the election process.↲

I realise that, I was just talking about the reasoning behind it.
    But as we've seen, gender quotas have been used in the electoral process in other countries.

Advertisement