Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Some pictures I took recently

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

A couple of Tern chicks they are four days old also they still have the
    tooth for breaking the shell
    P6190378.jpg
    P6190380.jpg
    P6190392.jpg
    The bottom picture the chicks are four weeks old so fairly active

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cardynal

A couple from Tacumshin Today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Did you see it outside of Ireland Rainbowsend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

malahide beach was swarming with these fellas earlier - five spot burnets, according to my collins guide.
    Count the spots...the Collins guide is wrong. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Did you see it outside of Ireland Rainbowsend?

Sorry whats this in reference to? :)

• Advertisement

Out and about early this morning.
    1 Sedge Warbler.
    2 Juvenile Sedge Warbler
    3 Whitethroat with Breakfast
    4 Reed bunting with Breakfast.

Maybe the Mum or Dad of Bogtreader's baby terns? :D

Breachesedited-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭thyme

Kestrel bringing home some frogs legs home for lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Sorry whats this in reference to? :)

I meant the Dipper:)

I meant the Dipper:)

:D Yes it was taken at the Meeting of the Waters in Wicklow, near to Avoca.
    Thats yes it was taken in Ireland!

• Advertisement

Thrushes and Blackbirds out in force today on the freshly cut lawn.

While I was watching the Kestrel bringing food back to the nest, looking around to see what direction i'ts going to come from I spotted this little guy having a nap in the three top beside me. Stayed there for nearly 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Do you live in a different, magical Westmeath than I do thyme?! You get some really great stuff.

Ta whyulittle, and yes I do, maybe you know this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I'm wondering could we maybe attach pictures of a more disturbing nature rather than embed them? and have a little warning then too?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

fair point. i removed it altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭cscook

397397486.jpg
    I had a fascinating time watching this coot (not a moorhen as my fingers disconnected with my brain earlier) in Phoenix Park this morning. When I first saw her she seemed to be *tidying* her nest, pulling leaves already on it about. Then she started going out foraging for more leaves, diving down to nip them off near the base, and towing them back.
    What was even funnier was to see her two chicks making their contributions - one of them bringing a little stick along, and one trying to push one of the leaves around.
    Would she be making it bigger to have more space for the chicks as they get older? Or do they lay two clutches? The way the chicks were clambering around there can't have been any eggs in it, but the chicks are a fair size now.
    Trying to upload a video, but I couldn't do it earlier on while I needed the bandwidth for something else.

cscook wrote: »
    [IMG][/img]I had a fascinating time watching this moorhen in Phoenix Park this morning. When I first saw her she seemed to be *tidying* her nest, pulling leaves already on it about. Then she started going out foraging for more leaves, diving down to nip them off near the base, and towing them back. What was even funnier was to see her two chicks making their contributions - one of them bringing a little stick along, and one trying to push one of the leaves around. Would she be making it bigger to have more space for the chicks as they get older? Or do they lay two clutches? The way the chicks were clambering around there can't have been any eggs in it, but the chicks are a fair size now. Trying to upload a video, but I couldn't do it earlier on while I needed the bandwidth for something else.

awh! :D but that's a coot, isn't it??

awh! :D but that's a coot, isn't it??

I was just coming back to edit and say yes, I know it's a coot. I know the difference, sometimes I just call them the wrong thing :rolleyes:.

Stonechat from Carnsore , a bird i seldom see now , scarce the past year or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

very nice!

Mark

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

90184C1CAE11412F95C631CE20EAF011-0000342048-0002393537-00800L-ECD45E4EFF034B77821A02CF7E975FD7.jpg

BFF1B92AFA2F402F92A8D9480EFF5DCC-0000342048-0002393536-00800L-AB1E9469196E47DD819DB3621B3C2D97.jpg

902E75CEE91D4A9BB5AF43070E978025-0000342048-0002393540-00800L-45CE90C9CEB6439090FCF6113257FF7C.jpg

Can anyone identify what species this guy is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Can anyone identify what species this guy is?
    Poplar Hawk-moth

Meet the bunting family (Reed) -1 it was hiding in the undergrowth.

Cormorant in the basin again today :) scared a mallard off the hay, and took it over to clean...

scaled.php?server=848&filename=cormorantcleaning.jpg&res=medium

and then I was in St Stephens Green and saw this baby moorhen :D

scaled.php?server=405&filename=babymoorhen.jpg&res=medium

and again...
    scaled.php?server=198&filename=babymoorhen2.jpg&res=medium

he was squeaking the whole time but i stayed with him for a while, and when someone started feeding them (bread!) the mother ran out from the bush to nab it, along with another youngling :D they all went off in to the bush then and she came out to get it and feed it to them. it was a great sight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 leonvdn

In order, wren, blackbird, little grebe, grey heron, mallard

5875154250_d8e5d97683_o.jpg

5874594407_a73b8e6c4b_o.jpg

5875166170_dc50cc15e3_o.jpg

5875161666_ae12d3dbcc_o.jpg

5874602811_6d34bd47ff_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Ducklings at the office
    20110627Duckling1.jpg

20110627Duckling2.jpg

Nice spider
    spider1.jpg

A few from Tacumshin last evening.
    1 Green Sandpiper.
    2 Little Grebe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Cardynal wrote: »
    A few from Tacumshin last evening.
    1 Green Sandpiper.
    2 Little Grebe.
    Brilliant Green sandpiper. Did you get it at forgotten corner?

• Advertisement

The robin that had no tail (it's grown again) is still trying to muscle in on the territory of an established pair in the garden. But he's too cautious to come too close to the house, whereas the established pair, and especially the one I am assuming is male because he has battle-scars, are not so shy at all.

397490522.jpg

397490525.jpg
    Doesn't mention robins in the list of birds on that seed tub :D, and it actually wasn't the mealworms he was going for.
    I just have to be careful if I've been out in the garden - I once startled one into the back room and had to help it out again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement