Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Barnwell, Hansfield, near Ongar, Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marksquirt

ongarboy wrote: »
    I use Hansfield Station every day and noticed a new planning notice recently on the railings on the way up requesting extension of the duration of planning for the development of Hansfield (to include 100s of apartments/houses/retail etc) so maybe they plan to develop in the near future?

I'd just be happy if they did up the boarded up ghost houses remaining in Barnwell and offer them for sale. I suspect the so called shortage of housing in Dublin they are now talking about means it is somewhat economical to start releasing these homes to the market again?

Sorry it's been sometime since I've been on the forum!

For anyone with an interest and by way of an update please note that the lands surrounding Barnwell and the unfinished areas within the estate have been purchase by McGarrell Reilly. They applied and were successful in changing the planning permission for the housing types which originally formed part of the SDZ. House Types to be built are 3 & 4 bedroom houses with private parking ample enough for 2 cars per house. No house price or guide price have been set as yet. House plans etc. are available on the Fingal Co.Co. planning section.

The developer is already on site and is obviously keen to get building houses! As a condition of and part of the sale however the current estate must be completed and these are the first of the works for completion.

On another note, and most will have visibly seen, the works on the primary school are fast tracking and will be on line for occupation at the end of August of this year. An Educate Together secondary school is also opening this year and will be housed on the 3rd Floor of the Primary School whilst they await their new school to be built.

I hope the above sheds some light for anyone that is wondering what's going on over this side recently. :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Do you know if the original SDZ rules will apply regarding occupancy and certain local amenities will still apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Thanks for that update, Marksquirt! - I pass it every day on the way to the station and was wondering what was going on. I think family type homes are best for attracting more permanent residents and give more neighbourhood pride to an area.

I'm sure the current nearby residents in Hansfield will be delighted to see those eyesore boarded up units being put to use too as well as proper direct pedestrian access to the station !

For those who are interested - details of the appliction below which was only granted permission last week! 146 houses in total! Planning Reference FW14A/0021

http://www.fingal.ie/planning-and-buildings/apply-or-search-for-a-planning-application/search-planning-applications-online/searchplanningapplicationsonline/

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dubdec99

Can anyone recommend a reputable babysitter in the area or has anyone heard of a local babysitting service?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭nicnac

Anyone know what company are responsible for the traffic jam at the Barnswell roundabout?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

nicnac wrote: »
    Anyone know what company are responsible for the traffic jam at the Barnswell roundabout?

The company isnt really relevant. Roadworks on the public road are subject to approval and supervision from the Council. If there is a particular problem with the works at the Barnswell roundabout, get onto the Roads and Travel Dept in Fingal or fire off a few emails to the shiny new Councillors.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/your-council/your-local-councillors/

(Mulhuddart group)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tricksie

Just wondering has anyone had a debt collectors letter for management fees? Had not been paying as the estate was in such a mess. Can't believe we are expected to pay and the estate the way it is. We can't sell houses in this estate until it's finished who would buy them?unless for half the price..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Well if no one is paying the fees because the estate is in a mess, how will it improve?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Drop the Ball

I agree with the last poster, but sometimes you are damned if you do & damned if you don't. You are contractually obliged to pay your management fees and the management company have the right to presue any unpaid fees through the legal route if needed.

Tricksie wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone had a debt collectors letter for management fees? Had not been paying as the estate was in such a mess. Can't believe we are expected to pay and the estate the way it is. We can't sell houses in this estate until it's finished who would buy them?unless for half the price..

Management fees for Barnswell ... I actually think that area has improved a LOT over the last few years. I wouldn't consider it as bad as Summerseat with regard to being unfinished.

Anyone who bought in 2007/2008 is unable to sell without a massive loss , not just Barnswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I agree with the last poster, but sometimes you are damned if you do & damned if you don't. You are contractually obliged to pay your management fees and the management company have the right to presue any unpaid fees through the legal route if needed.

You obliged to have a management company to look after the area. You can dissolve the current and set up you own with you own directors.

oblivious wrote: »
    You obliged to have a management company to look after the area. You can dissolve the current and set up you own with you own directors.

You cannot dissolve the Management company, as a property owner you are a member of the management company. The management company can remove and replace the management agency if it chooses to do so.

There is a big difference between the Management Company & Management Agency.

You cannot dissolve the Management company, as a property owner you are a member of the management company. The management company can remove and replace the management agency if it chooses to do so.

There is a big difference between the Management Company & Management Agency.

Yes sorry
    But you can become a directors or the directors of the company (elections at the AGM, getting an AGM maybe difficult ) and manage the estate as a community,

oblivious wrote: »
    Yes sorry
    But you can become a directors or the directors of the company (elections at the AGM, getting an AGM maybe difficult ) and manage the estate as a community,

Getting residents elected as directors is the best way for residents to influence how the estate and budgets are managed. If the developer has not finished or handed over the estate, they might make it difficult to get residents elected as directors.

Getting residents elected as directors is the best way for residents to influence how the estate and budgets are managed. If the developer has not finished or handed over the estate, they might make it difficult to get residents elected as directors.

Could be a good time, Joan Burton is leader of labour and there will be an election in 18 months or less. Also the train station was finished off with COCO money I believe and not for sales within the estate so there maybe leeway with the developers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Does anybody know what is happening at the big roundabout where the roadworks are going on? The whole roundabout has been dug up and there is a massive hole in the road. Are they turning it into a junction with lights, etc to control the traffic the new school will bring, or just re-jigging the roundabout?

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Does anybody know what is happening at the big roundabout where the roadworks are going on? The whole roundabout has been dug up and there is a massive hole in the road. Are they turning it into a junction with lights, etc to control the traffic the new school will bring, or just re-jigging the roundabout?

Looks like the Tommy Knockers by Stephen King! Drove past this morning and they have made progress since yesterday. The hole has something big and yellow - could be electric transformer, something for drainage, septic tank tank

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tricksie

Well if no one is paying the fees because the estate is in a mess, how will it improve?

Well I was paying them for first few years but didn't see much improvement. I have tended to shrubs outside house as management company don't. They seem to cut the grass that's it. Maybe different for the apartments.

They are introducing permit parking across the way in Ongar with permits being issued only to paid up management fee residents meaning those who haven't paid risk their cars getting clamped. It was felt it would be the only way to force owners to cough up. As Ongar is more communal parking, this is a big deal - not sure if most homes in Barnwell have their own private parking space/driveway and whether this would be an option?

They seem to be making steady progress on a new access route to the Hansfield train station from the back of Barnwell. Footpaths etc have been built/ tarmacadamed etc. I imagine this is to facilitate an alternative access to the new Educate Together school. Is the school due to open in September? The building itself looks fairly finished viewing it from a distance.

For anyone walking to the station from Barnwell, it should cut their walking time by more than half!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

They are introducing permit parking across the way in Ongar with permits being issued only to paid up management fee residents meaning those who haven't paid risk their cars getting clamped. It was felt it would be the only way to force owners to cough up. As Ongar is more communal parking, this is a big deal - not sure if most homes in Barnwell have their own private parking space/driveway and whether this would be an option?
    Isn't the permit parking and clamping going to be only in the older part of Ongar like Delhurst and Stralem?
    This part of Ongar is run by a different management agent OWM than the Village part?

What's to stop non-paying residents from parking there so they don't get clamped?

Yes, it's only a certain area of Ongar. Apparently an earlier area already had it enforced prompting some to park in the newly zoned area. When this area gets zoned on Aug 1st, I expect you're correct that the dodgers will park somewhere else that is not zoned. I'm sure if that becomes a problem, you could see more widespread permit zones? Eventually, I would think it will become unfeasible to park increasing distances from your home though.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

ongarite wrote: »
    Isn't the permit parking and clamping going to be only in the older part of Ongar like Delhurst and Stralem?
    This part of Ongar is run by a different management agent OWM than the Village part?

What's to stop non-paying residents from parking there so they don't get clamped?

I really hope this won't be feasible, as ongarboy has mentioned "(Eventually, I would think it will become unfeasible to park increasing distances from your home though.") As a resident of the village, beside the businesses, it's hard enough to get parking as it is when we have no residents' parking permits with shoppers taking the communal parking all day and evening. There is also a car repair business being run from an apartment in The Paddocks, it would seem, and that takes up a good 3-4 spaces on a rotating basis. Parking in the village is one hell of a mess as it stands already.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Twizzler wrote: »
    There is also a car repair business being run from an apartment in The Paddocks, it would seem, and that takes up a good 3-4 spaces on a rotating basis.

You don't have to put up with that, its a planning violation as well as the obvious nuisance and disturbance. The management company might be loathe to tackle it but a quiet report to the Planning Enforcement section in Fingal CoCo and to Revenue might be in order.

Access road to Barnwell now open from the Hansfield Train station road. Not sure if this is just temporary to facilitate a diversion as the main road into Barnwell is closed for a few weeks due to the works going around the roundabout ...that disappeared!!...into Barnwell.

Anyone know what they are actually doing there - seems like something major??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

My understanding is the removal of the roundabout is permanent and the original access road into Barnwell will now only be access for the schools- all Barnwell traffic goes out the train station road. Roundabout is probably being replaced with a T-junction with traffic lights. This is just hearsay though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

Access road to Barnwell now open from the Hansfield Train station road. Not sure if this is just temporary to facilitate a diversion as the main road into Barnwell is closed for a few weeks due to the works going around the roundabout ...that disappeared!!...into Barnwell.

Anyone know what they are actually doing there - seems like something major??

I was thinking that's where the main sewerage artery is that they needed to connect the school to, could be totally wrong though

It looks like the roundabout has been relaid so the traffic lights theory is a non runner.

I read elsewhere that the 146 homes that Fingal Co Co granted permission to Hansfield Investments a while back has been appealed to An Bord Pleanala by a 3rd party objector with a decision due in November. I wonder what the motivation behind that objection is? The land in question is barren wasteland at the moment and suitable densities should be encouraged near public transport nodes (like Hansfield station) as well as providing more housing stock to address the shortage so I don't understand the logic of an objection in this particular location.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It looks like the roundabout has been relaid so the traffic lights theory is a non runner.

I read elsewhere that the 146 homes that Fingal Co Co granted permission to Hansfield Investments a while back has been appealed to An Bord Pleanala by a 3rd party objector with a decision due in November. I wonder what the motivation behind that objection is? The land in question is barren wasteland at the moment and suitable densities should be encouraged near public transport nodes (like Hansfield station) as well as providing more housing stock to address the shortage so I don't understand the logic of an objection in this particular location.

I can't see the details of the appeal, but it was lodged by the same person who lodged a complaint re the trough traffic on Barnwell Crescent. Changes to the layout were proposed to turn it into a through road so I'd say that's the reason for the complaint.

• Advertisement

Just reading an article below about access being blocked to Barnwell Hansfield. Is this article out of date now that the new access road via the Train Station road is now open and lined/tarmacadamed or is this now the sole access to the area which residents are concerned with?

http://www.gazettegroup.com/news/building-work-causes-estate-parking-issues/

Advertisement